Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Getting Started

Getting Started If you’re new to the Sport then this is the forum for you.

Old 14-02-2015, 10:30 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Here's a system that used to work well in the Nong.

PLastics will work at the same times

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
If I'm fishing landbased for bream its around high tide. Thats because I like fishing hard up against the bank with 4cm Hard Bodied Bibbed minnows like Ecogear Sx 40's and Strike Pro Pygmies.

I like to start at the peak of high tide and cast my lures directly up the bank and bring them back with the flow of the river. The longer the cast the better as you invariably spook the bream in front of you, who spook the bream in front of them.....etc.

I'm too lazy to get up early but will stay out late fishing under the artificial lights along the banks of the Yarra. A high tide towards the evening is my preferred breaming conditions. This scenario will last for about 7 days and happen twice a month.

So my landbased month used to alternate between fresh and salt water. For the week that the high tides were in the arvo Id fish for bream. The next week was fresh and so on.

This is a very specific plan which revolves around fishing Hb's on river banks for bream.

Working deep water and fishing from a boat changes everything.

There are some blokes who can catch fish anywhere at anytime. I hate those blokes. They are useless for advice because they reckon there are no peak times. "Just chuck your lure in and Jiggle it and then the bream eats it".

All I know is - if I am catching fish at a certain time, then anyone could catch them at that time. So a high tide at dusk when using small bibbed minnows along a river bank would be one option to try
This coming Saturday Sunday and Monday would be a good time to test the High tide at Dusk theory
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5109.jpg (42.2 KB, 222 views)
Old 14-02-2015, 10:34 PM
Blue Lip

Yep +1 pretty much what I do -except no fresh for me. I hit the docks on an "unfavourable" tide as I've pretty much found the tide makes little difference there
Old 15-02-2015, 11:30 PM
Mature Bream

Ok so I have only 2 hard bodies for bream a subdog by strike pro(suspending) and a minnow of some sort (suspending diver.$

Last edited by Ribskull; 15-02-2015 at 11:34 PM.
Old 16-02-2015, 02:49 AM
Mature Bream

I was wondering which of these would be best for surface breaming this Saturday to Monday, they are the smallest I got, there's an atomic k9 walker, 2 sure catch poppers and 2 Zara pups.
Old 16-02-2015, 04:27 AM

Hey bud check your pm box
Old 16-02-2015, 04:50 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilo View Post
Hey bud check your pm box
You're a legend!
Old 16-02-2015, 10:00 AM
Mature Bream

Can anyone explain the high low and the low low tides and how they effect the fishing?
Old 17-02-2015, 12:05 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribskull View Post
Can anyone explain the high low and the low low tides and how they effect the fishing?
Unsure if you mean semi-diurnal tides (2 highs and 2 lows in one day, one 'high' being higher than the other (same with lows);

or spring/neap cycles, which follow the moon phases (monthly) where the currents run stronger (i.e. lower lows and higher highs) at spring tides (new moon and full moon), and currents run weaker (i.e. smaller difference between high/low tidal peaks/troughs) at neap tides (at quarter/half moon cycles).

Different fish react very differently to tidal flow - some love the outgoing (flatties), and others love the incoming (particularly at the start of it). Fishing for bream, I've had mixed results either way (in WA anyway) - very location dependent.

As a rule of thumb, try fish the outgoing tide where you think the majority of water is draining into, such as gutters, mouths of feeder creeks, shallow channels. On the rising/high tide, fish banks where fish may only have access to those locations at high water (flats, oyster/mussel banks, many other options too!)

Some fish also hate very fast or very slow water. As the current flows fastest right in between tides, it often pays to fish an hr or so either side of high/low - depending of course on the amount of tidal flow. It doesn't matter too much in Perth as we only get ~0.6m between high and low per cycle!
Old 18-02-2015, 12:51 AM
Mature Bream

First bream On the worm went about 30 cm forgot to measure
Old 18-02-2015, 12:57 AM
Blue Lip

Nice mate. Congrats
Old 18-02-2015, 12:58 AM
Mature Bream

The face of victory! Well done mate
Old 18-02-2015, 02:16 AM
Mature Bream

Oathkeeper strikes again
Old 18-02-2015, 03:41 AM
Mature Bream

Awesome work mate! Well done
Old 18-02-2015, 11:55 AM
Mature Bream

Ok, so these were caught on marukyu worms but I feel they are flimsy as all heck, went through 6.5 in 1 session and they only come in packs of 8 and are also more expensive, though they are environmentally friendly. I was getting snagged and pulling out only a jighead, and the gulp worms I find mold to the jighead, and are more sturdy on the jighead. With marukyu I was constantly resizing my worm due it splitting up the middle. I'm a bit lost, i think ill just grab some crab soft plastics as there are a lot of crabs around where I fish.
Old 18-02-2015, 03:06 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribskull View Post
Ok, so these were caught on marukyu worms but I feel they are flimsy as all heck, went through 6.5 in 1 session and they only come in packs of 8 and are also more expensive, though they are environmentally friendly. I was getting snagged and pulling out only a jighead, and the gulp worms I find mold to the jighead, and are more sturdy on the jighead. With marukyu I was constantly resizing my worm due it splitting up the middle. I'm a bit lost, i think ill just grab some crab soft plastics as there are a lot of crabs around where I fish.
Any bio-bait like gulp, ecogear-aqua, marukyu etc will have longevity issues. I tend to only use it on a tough bite and even then I'm using it less and less. You can try moving to a "true" soft plastic worm instead or as you suggest change pattern completely.

Crab imitations take plenty of bream in the local systems but they aren't a good landbased prospecting/searching lure - they work best when cast into areas where bream are holding or actively foraging and then dead stocked or very little action applied. So not so good for searching stretches of bank to locate fish.

In my opinion the best crab lure is the cranka crab but it's a $20+ hardbody. The next are the marukyu crabs but these are a bio-bait and have similar longevity issues to the worms you've used. Then there are the plastics - bait breath rockin crabs, madeye crabs etc. The new kid on the block is the savage gear 3D crab. Personally I've never had much luck with ttr plastic crabs and I'm not confident throwing them.

If you want to work the banks why don't you go back to the squidgy wrigglers or grab some 2.5" or 2" grubs. Can't go too far wrong with a hooked on plastic grub in bloodworm or a bloodworm squidgy wriggler (Hooked on plastics are on Facebook and probably the best value grub you'll find). If you want real longevity then a zman grub in motor oil (need headlokz jigheads or a dab of superglue to help keep them in the jighead).