Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Leader

Leader What type, what weight, what length, etc.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:06 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiSCrEANT View Post
I might as well place my input.

Before a session at home, I like to do a Bimini twist in the braid (As much turns as I feel like) and use that loop to do the Alberto knot with the fluorocarbon. I've tested this link, every time I've been snagged and had to hold to spool to break the line, It fails at the leader terminal knot. That knot is a palomar to a snap. I've used it for a while now, never had to retie a leader in a session since. But, my backup plan is to do a Surgeon's loop instead of the Bimini twist when on the water.
So with the bimini on a braid, is it like a "reversed" Alberto?

The normal Alberto is made with the leader forming the loop and the braid around the loop 7 times up and down and back through the leader loop in the same direction.
Not sure how you tie yours with the bimini on a braid. Can you clarify please?

I recently started using the Alberto knot and it hasn't failed on me yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J56O3CZVu7M

Cheers

Monster Miki Addict
Old 04-08-2014, 08:06 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post

Cheers
Hey Alex,
I used to use the Alberto or Allbright knot as it was easy as piss to tie and very slim in profile. Its also super strong, but because the tag end points towards the hook end the tag is constantly hitting guides on the way out and this weakens the knot over time. And I have had a few times where the knot unravelled on me during cats and just normal retrieve with hardly any pressure, and the tell tale signs of curly braid as evidence of and unravelled knot. So this was enough to stop me fishing with it.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:24 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by benny88 View Post
Although I agree that any old knot is fine for bream, I cant go back to an inferior knot to the fg now.
Im with benny. Very hard to use anything less than the FG once you've learnt to tie it properly! And ive never ever had one slip! Love watching the braid change color as it bites down into the flouro!
Old 04-08-2014, 08:32 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
So with the bimini on a braid, is it like a "reversed" Alberto?

The normal Alberto is made with the leader forming the loop and the braid around the loop 7 times up and down and back through the leader loop in the same direction.
Not sure how you tie yours with the bimini on a braid. Can you clarify please?

Cheers

Like that, but with the doubled braided line of the Bimini twist. I might do extra turns in the Alberto if I feel like it.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:57 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscateur View Post
Hey Alex,
I used to use the Alberto or Allbright knot as it was easy as piss to tie and very slim in profile. Its also super strong, but because the tag end points towards the hook end the tag is constantly hitting guides on the way out and this weakens the knot over time. And I have had a few times where the knot unravelled on me during cats and just normal retrieve with hardly any pressure, and the tell tale signs of curly braid as evidence of and unravelled knot. So this was enough to stop me fishing with it.
1+ I was a big fan of the alberta/albright until I saw a brand new Chubby sail off into the distance with a length of leader attached.

The problem is exactly as you said it.

It's slightly harder to tie and takes a while to get the hang of but the slim beauty is my new favorite... Hasn't failed me yet.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:30 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Hey Alex,
Might stick to my Slim Beauty then...

Monster Miki Addict
Old 04-08-2014, 11:08 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Hey Alex,
You can put the tag end back through the leader loop a few more times to help lock the braid in or you can half hitch up the braid also.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:14 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Might stick to my Slim Beauty then...
The doubled over slim beauty for 6 lb and under is as good as any other know out there, just from my observations.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:09 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjspinner View Post
You can put the tag end back through the leader loop a few more times to help lock the braid in or you can half hitch up the braid also.
Yeah I also thought about it to stop braid from unravelling.

Might try this option before I ditch the Alberto all together.

From the tube video I posted a link to, Alberto himself recommends to cut the tag end of the leader as close to the knot as possible. He reckons this is not a problem as it aстs as "chinese finger trap" - the more you pull the stronger it gets

Monster Miki Addict

Last edited by Alex; 05-08-2014 at 12:17 AM.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:30 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
Stuff tying the FG... Maybe for bigger fish but for Bream a slim beauty will do.
+1. Simple and effective
Old 05-08-2014, 01:14 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjspinner View Post
When u add half hitches to the Alberto the Slimbeauty would be quicker to tie. and you wont have halfhitch unravelling issues so its still the SB FTW, for leaders up to 6 lb for me.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:27 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
When u add half hitches to the Alberto the Slimbeauty would be quicker to tie. and you wont have halfhitch unravelling issues so its still the SB FTW, for leaders up to 6 lb for me.
Hey Al,

Is your SB bulky due to doubled braid?

I can't fault my SB even with a single strand braid so a doubled would be much stronger.

In a Gold Edition of FW Mag, they gave a SB and Kaneit knots a 100% rating each when tied with a doubled braid.

So I think you are on a winner

Monster Miki Addict
Old 05-08-2014, 04:12 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremmer15 View Post
+1. Simple and effective
I pretty much use fluoro straight through 80% of the time now. Keeping it simple.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:00 AM
Big Bream

Alex, i run with the improved albright to help it sail through the guides, lake tyers has a couple of extra lures due to my lazy approach last week with the normal AB knot. I ended up using another reel with straight thru fluro for better results & quicker change over.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:33 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Hey Al,

Is your SB bulky due to doubled braid?

I can't fault my SB even with a single strand braid so a doubled would be much stronger.

In a Gold Edition of FW Mag, they gave a SB and Kaneit knots a 100% rating each when tied with a doubled braid.

So I think you are on a winner
The additional thickness if present isn't noticeable. But from my own findings it's definitely stronger than not doubling it over.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: