Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Getting Started

Getting Started If you’re new to the Sport then this is the forum for you.

Old 01-09-2016, 04:21 PM
Fingerling

Shimano rods

Hi guys,

New to forum.
I've started getting more into fishing a few months back and wanted to stat moving away from dead baits.

So...done abit of research, and my decision is:
Shimano Zodias 7ft 2-5kg lure 5-12g.

My question is, with the lure rating, are the soft plastics and hardbodies in that weight going go be too heavy for bream?
What will happen if i use lighter lures? am i restricted to those lure weights? (wont get distance?)
and, am i ruling out landing a school jew on that rod?
Am i just looking into it too much and should just get it already?

Reason why i chose this rod was, good reviews (from the USA), looks and i can get a reasonable discount on them.

Cheers guys.
Old 01-09-2016, 05:58 PM
Mature Bream

For memory on the specs you have posted thats the ML model (medium light). Checked out this rod last Friday and its a powerful blank more suited to the school Jew you have mentioned. The lure rating is spot on IMHO.
Personally I wouldnt use it for Bream, more of a Bass rod but could be used for heavy structure if thats your thing as it locks up very fast.
Old 01-09-2016, 06:26 PM
Poddy Bream

A good shimano bream rod is the t-curve revolution inshore. 7ft 2-5kg lure rating 1-6g (if memory serves). Or even the same in a 6'10" 1-3kg both excellent bream rods
Old 01-09-2016, 08:47 PM
Mature Bream

that rod just wouldn't be comfortable to cast and work typical bream lure,look at something rated up to 7-10g,considering the Zodias range- 264UL-2 is the best option there.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:25 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by piketronic View Post
that rod just wouldn't be comfortable to cast and work typical bream lure,look at something rated up to 7-10g,considering the Zodias range- 264UL-2 is the best option there.
What he said and even lighter. Most of my bream lure throwers max out at 6 or 7g
Old 02-09-2016, 04:29 PM
Fingerling

I own a Zodias 207ML 2-5kg.

I bought it for one specific purpose and that's to cast osp power dunks for snapper . Teamed up with a stradic ci4+ and p.e 1.0 braid .

Very comfortable rod to cast and casts miles . Best casting rod I have owned . I am blown away by the casting distance. Tons of power. Has more grunt then my 3-6 kg rods .Underrated weight wise imo .
I have the ML and it feels stiffer then comparable rods . I would not consider this rod for focusing on bream , unless you are chasing/getting smoked by big bream . Awesome for snapper , jew , jacks , sweetlip etc .

I would look at the UL if you want a Zodias or look at other options .
Old 02-09-2016, 10:39 PM
Fingerling

Thanks for the responses guys, i think il go for the TK3G732L 2-5kg 1-9g.

cheers!
Old 03-09-2016, 12:05 AM
Mature Bream

I have 2 and they are a comfortable soft plastics rod.The tip is quite soft, great for light lures, 1 to 6 gram. Not bad for hard bodies. I often push the limits and throw 10 and 11 gram lures , Viblicious , for jew, best on this rod was 88 c/m It will do it! But it bends a lot before the lure starts to vibrate when you lift it. I have a couple of gen black weasels for the vibes now. I had 1000 Stradic ci4+ on then. No real complaints, but have just changed to the 2500. It just feels and looks better.Mostly better retrieve rate. regards Howard.