Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #61  
Old 05-06-2017, 02:49 PM
yellow door 1's Avatar
yellow door 1 yellow door 1 is offline
Honker
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: melbourne
Posts: 11,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
Yeah closest I got was 47 yards (43m) with a 6 ft rod and a half ounce - I'll check out the vid later - I've got my own to edit

Well that was a complete nightmare - Sony vegas crashed a million times - footage was corrupted and lost.

Ended up having to render it in small segments then stitch them together.

The camera angles dont show the lures landing - The rods are completely mismatched - But at least there is evidence that I actually tested it.

And guess what - I'm 100% correct again - spin gear casts much further than BC gear

P.s I've since found out that KVD was talking about casting with 12lb fluorocarbon and he can cast much further than that

So I spose all that I learnt is - with my gear and skill set - I can cast further with spin tackle than BC


Last edited by yellow door 1; 06-06-2017 at 01:55 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 05-06-2017, 07:06 PM
stella fella's Avatar
stella fella stella fella is offline
Blue Lip
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lake Mac
Posts: 3,000
Well, what can I say? I guess it's irrefutable then, isn't it?
__________________
"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, but I still get to kill something."
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 05-06-2017, 08:12 PM
yellow door 1's Avatar
yellow door 1 yellow door 1 is offline
Honker
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: melbourne
Posts: 11,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by stella fella View Post
Well, what can I say? I guess it's irrefutable then, isn't it?
Yep and when I said I completely disengaged the casting brake - all I did was unscrew the cylindrical casting brake control on the side of the reel - I think theres more I could have done

But the fact that I can cast further than the longest caster in the Professional US Bass circuit with my 6'3" medium action spin rod - should give you an idea as to how I got this crazy notion in the first place.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 05-06-2017, 08:55 PM
stella fella's Avatar
stella fella stella fella is offline
Blue Lip
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lake Mac
Posts: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
Yep and when I said I completely disengaged the casting brake - all I did was unscrew the cylindrical casting brake control on the side of the reel - I think theres more I could have done

But the fact that I can cast further than the longest caster in the Professional US Bass circuit with my 6'3" medium action spin rod - should give you an idea as to how I got this crazy notion in the first place.
It's funny you mention the action of the rod actually. I have found that slower tapered rods in combination with really fast recovering graphite cast a hell of a lot further than fast tapered rods that are much longer. I have a 6 ft daiwa gen black beowulf rated at 7-15kg that I bought for throwing plastics around inshore reefs. It's supposedly a fast action but I'd say it's more of a fast tip/slow mid-butt section. I was fishing a reef near out off Yamba one day and I ended up putting a 40g metal lure on it as a school of spanish mackerel showed up and I had no other rod on the boat capable of casting anything of the sort. I found out within about 3 casts that this rod was capable of pinging that lure over the 80m mark and was out-casting my old man's 7'6" dropshot with a similar lure, all because the beowulf loaded up better under the weight of the lure.

If you watch the video I posted earlier you'll see that white-polo-shirt guy manages 91m with a BC setup compared to 84m with a spin rod which makes KVD look like he belongs in a ball pit under the supervision of his mother. Granted they only made one cast each and they were using 8ft+rods, but they were far closer to being equivalent in that test.

P.S. The BC casts in that video also required far less backswing than the spin gear
__________________
"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, but I still get to kill something."
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 05-06-2017, 09:08 PM
yellow door 1's Avatar
yellow door 1 yellow door 1 is offline
Honker
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: melbourne
Posts: 11,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by stella fella View Post
It's funny you mention the action of the rod actually. I have found that slower tapered rods in combination with really fast recovering graphite cast a hell of a lot further than fast tapered rods that are much longer. I have a 6 ft daiwa gen black beowulf rated at 7-15kg that I bought for throwing plastics around inshore reefs. It's supposedly a fast action but I'd say it's more of a fast tip/slow mid-butt section. I was fishing a reef near out off Yamba one day and I ended up putting a 40g metal lure on it as a school of spanish mackerel showed up and I had no other rod on the boat capable of casting anything of the sort. I found out within about 3 casts that this rod was capable of pinging that lure over the 80m mark and was out-casting my old man's 7'6" dropshot with a similar lure, all because the beowulf loaded up better under the weight of the lure.

If you watch the video I posted earlier you'll see that white-polo-shirt guy manages 91m with a BC setup compared to 84m with a spin rod which makes KVD look like he belongs in a ball pit under the supervision of his mother. Granted they only made one cast each and they were using 8ft+rods, but they were far closer to being equivalent in that test.

P.S. The BC casts in that video also required far less backswing than the spin gear
Yeah I was just doing a search on KVD and he claims to be able to throw a crank bait 70 yards with 12lb flourocarbon so it would appear the 60 yard "Fact" was untrue- so who knows how far he can cast with other stuff while using braid.


http://www.bassfactory.com/bass-fish...-with-kvd.html

I'll check out that vid

Last edited by yellow door 1; 06-06-2017 at 01:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 05-06-2017, 09:44 PM
yellow door 1's Avatar
yellow door 1 yellow door 1 is offline
Honker
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: melbourne
Posts: 11,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by stella fella View Post
It's funny you mention the action of the rod actually. I have found that slower tapered rods in combination with really fast recovering graphite cast a hell of a lot further than fast tapered rods that are much longer. I have a 6 ft daiwa gen black beowulf rated at 7-15kg that I bought for throwing plastics around inshore reefs. It's supposedly a fast action but I'd say it's more of a fast tip/slow mid-butt section. I was fishing a reef near out off Yamba one day and I ended up putting a 40g metal lure on it as a school of spanish mackerel showed up and I had no other rod on the boat capable of casting anything of the sort. I found out within about 3 casts that this rod was capable of pinging that lure over the 80m mark and was out-casting my old man's 7'6" dropshot with a similar lure, all because the beowulf loaded up better under the weight of the lure.

If you watch the video I posted earlier you'll see that white-polo-shirt guy manages 91m with a BC setup compared to 84m with a spin rod which makes KVD look like he belongs in a ball pit under the supervision of his mother. Granted they only made one cast each and they were using 8ft+rods, but they were far closer to being equivalent in that test.

P.S. The BC casts in that video also required far less backswing than the spin gear
Yeah just watched the vid - Neither of those blokes had their tongues out while casting so the results arent to be trusted - I suffered a bit with the translation - how heavy is that blade they're casting.

I know world record distance casting is done with long rods, tricked out overhead reels and 128gram metal weights. So they definitely do out perform spin tackle when the weight is heavy enough.

I just wonder if there is a weight of lure - when the spin tackle becomes more effective at casting for distance.

From what I've been reading in the last day or so, The line is "pushed through the guides" while casting a BC as opposed to being "dragged over a lip" in spin casting. The theory suggests that the spinning spool of a bait caster actually throws line after the lure.

So in theory, Bait casters should be able to cast further in all weights, as long as you can build up sufficient "oooomph' to get the spool spinning at the right speed.

For instance - do you think that a Bait caster could cast a 1/32 jig head further than spin tackle.

Or would it take a
- a 1/16th
- a 1/8th
- a 1/4er
-or a 1/2 ounce for Baitcasters to start achieving better distances in ideal conditions.

Last edited by yellow door 1; 06-06-2017 at 02:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 06-06-2017, 03:40 AM
beans07 beans07 is offline
Poddy Bream
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hamilton, Vic
Posts: 91
How many baitcasters have you tried so far? and what price ranges?

The better reels cast a hell of a lot better and further than the cheaper reels on the same rod.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 06-06-2017, 03:57 AM
yellow door 1's Avatar
yellow door 1 yellow door 1 is offline
Honker
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: melbourne
Posts: 11,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by beans07 View Post
How many baitcasters have you tried so far? and what price ranges?

The better reels cast a hell of a lot better and further than the cheaper reels on the same rod.
Yeah I have very limited experience with bait casters - I've tried Blue Backers, old red Abu's and Steez. But I've only had solid practice sessions with Calcutta's and Caenan.

I'll borrow a better reel from a mate and run it through its paces - thanks for the tip.

Last edited by yellow door 1; 06-06-2017 at 04:39 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 06-06-2017, 04:32 AM
stella fella's Avatar
stella fella stella fella is offline
Blue Lip
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lake Mac
Posts: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
Yeah just watched the vid - Neither of those blokes had their tongues out while casting so the results arent to be trusted - I suffered a bit with the translation - how heavy is that blade they're casting.

I know world record distance casting is done with long rods, tricked out overhead reels and 128gram metal weights. So they definitely do out perform spin tackle when the weight is heavy enough.

I just wonder if there is a weight of lure - when the spin tackle becomes more effective at casting for distance.

From what I've been reading in the last day or so, The line is "pushed through the guides" while casting a BC as opposed to being "dragged over a lip" in spin casting. The theory suggests that the spinning spool of a bait caster actually throws line after the lure.

So in theory, Bait casters should be able to cast further in all weights, as long as you can build up sufficient "oooomph' to get the spool spinning at the right speed.

For instance - do you think that a Bait caster could cast a 1/32 jig head further than spin tackle.

Or would it take a
- a 1/16th
- a 1/8th
- a 1/4er
-or a 1/2 ounce for Baitcasters to start achieving better distances in ideal conditions.
The limiting factor in both bc and spin reels is their spools. Spin reels spools don't currently offer much in the way of versatility, they pretty much all behave the same way (line and rod aside) when casting and so there is inevitably going to be a point where they create enough friction that they reach a minimum effective cast weight. Granted, with the lines available in today's day and age, it's going to be a fairly small amount of weight before it becomes a significantly noticeable problem that it's hardly worth noting, but the problem exists nonetheless. The advantage I see in BC reels is their versatility. Brakes, bearings and spools can be adjusted and swapped to suit certain applications and optimised for casting performance in a way that spin reels cannot. As you mentioned, BC reels effectively "feed" line into a cast reulting in less friction, but they also don't send the line out and away from the guides as spin reels do, hence the need for stripper guides to recover that line as it comes off the spool. Modern BFS gear, in my opinion, is capable of out-casting spin gear in most scenarios. The lightest I've ever tried casting is a 1/16th oz bare jighead using an Alphas FC and 6lb fluro which I managed with relative ease and I'd dare say I could probably go lighter still. That said, there are better spools, and better bearings for casting light weights than what I was using and I'm also not that skilled so I have no doubt at all that much further/lighter can be achieved. In fact, I have seen people using 0.9g megabass rubber jigs on BC gear running fluro and still managing 15-20m casts around structure, so you can take that as a bare minimum.
__________________
"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, but I still get to kill something."
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 06-06-2017, 04:33 AM
stella fella's Avatar
stella fella stella fella is offline
Blue Lip
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lake Mac
Posts: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
Yeah I have very limited experience with bait casters - I've tried Blue Backers, old red Abu's and Steez. But I've only had solid practice sessions with Calcutta's and Caenan.

I'll borrow a top on the line model from a mate and run it through its paces - thanks for the tip.
Find yourself an alphas finesse custom or SV
__________________
"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, but I still get to kill something."
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 06-06-2017, 04:34 AM
yellow door 1's Avatar
yellow door 1 yellow door 1 is offline
Honker
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: melbourne
Posts: 11,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by stella fella View Post
Find yourself an alphas finesse custom or SV
Thats exactly what I'm getting my hands on tomorrow (well he said it was a Diawa Alphas - not sure which model)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 06-06-2017 at 04:40 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 06-06-2017, 04:38 AM
yellow door 1's Avatar
yellow door 1 yellow door 1 is offline
Honker
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: melbourne
Posts: 11,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by stella fella View Post
The limiting factor in both bc and spin reels is their spools. Spin reels spools don't currently offer much in the way of versatility, they pretty much all behave the same way (line and rod aside) when casting and so there is inevitably going to be a point where they create enough friction that they reach a minimum effective cast weight. Granted, with the lines available in today's day and age, it's going to be a fairly small amount of weight before it becomes a significantly noticeable problem that it's hardly worth noting, but the problem exists nonetheless. The advantage I see in BC reels is their versatility. Brakes, bearings and spools can be adjusted and swapped to suit certain applications and optimised for casting performance in a way that spin reels cannot. As you mentioned, BC reels effectively "feed" line into a cast reulting in less friction, but they also don't send the line out and away from the guides as spin reels do, hence the need for stripper guides to recover that line as it comes off the spool. Modern BFS gear, in my opinion, is capable of out-casting spin gear in most scenarios. The lightest I've ever tried casting is a 1/16th oz bare jighead using an Alphas FC and 6lb fluro which I managed with relative ease and I'd dare say I could probably go lighter still. That said, there are better spools, and better bearings for casting light weights than what I was using and I'm also not that skilled so I have no doubt at all that much further/lighter can be achieved. In fact, I have seen people using 0.9g megabass rubber jigs on BC gear running fluro and still managing 15-20m casts around structure, so you can take that as a bare minimum.
Yeah gotcha - this definitely requires further investigation - hopefully the Alphas vs Caenan test on Thursday, will shed some light on things

This time it will be a head to head test - same braid - same rod - same weight - same caster
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 06-06-2017, 08:32 AM
stella fella's Avatar
stella fella stella fella is offline
Blue Lip
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lake Mac
Posts: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
Yeah gotcha - this definitely requires further investigation - hopefully the Alphas vs Caenan test on Thursday, will shed some light on things

This time it will be a head to head test - same braid - same rod - same weight - same caster
Try using a range of weights if you can. You'll find that spools optimised for finesse applications may not cast heavier weights as well and vice-versa. The new SV spools are surprisingly versatile, from what I hear, and can handle a wider range of weights.
__________________
"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, but I still get to kill something."
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 06-06-2017, 08:51 AM
yellow door 1's Avatar
yellow door 1 yellow door 1 is offline
Honker
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: melbourne
Posts: 11,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by stella fella View Post
Try using a range of weights if you can. You'll find that spools optimised for finesse applications may not cast heavier weights as well and vice-versa. The new SV spools are surprisingly versatile, from what I hear, and can handle a wider range of weights.
I'll bring an assortment.

My rod claims to be able to cast 1/4 to 5/8ths - so I'll stretch to 3/4ers - but I dont know if I should go hell for leather with a full ounce
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9961.jpg (536.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 9960.jpg (587.8 KB, 0 views)
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 06-06-2017, 10:53 PM
stella fella's Avatar
stella fella stella fella is offline
Blue Lip
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lake Mac
Posts: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
I'll bring an assortment.

My rod claims to be able to cast 1/4 to 5/8ths - so I'll stretch to 3/4ers - but I dont know if I should go hell for leather with a full ounce
any rod rated to 17lb should be able to hanlde 3/4oz easiy.
__________________
"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, but I still get to kill something."
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Google