Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Boats > Electric Trolling Motors

Electric Trolling Motors The ultimate bream fishing accessory...

Old 09-05-2017, 03:30 PM
Mature Bream

Motorguide Xi5 / Quintrex Escape 490 - installation on removable mounting plate

I was planning to sell my Quintrex 490 Escape and buy a dedicated lure casting rig, but have been unable to sell my boat for the price it is worth to me.
So, to compromise and meet my objectives of owning a suitable lure casting, bream/perch/flathead catching machine, i have installed an 80lb Motorguide on top of the rails of my Escape.
I didn't want to cut my rails or drill holes everywhere which would have affected resale value, so I researched a few ideas from the web and used some materials I had lying around in the shed to make up a mount that I can remove from the boat, leaving just 1 hole as evidence.
The pictures a self explanatory. The plate is 5mm aluminium and the mount is as solid as a rock. It ain't going anywhere, but the whole thing can be removed in maybe 5 minutes. Threaded rod is 16mm stainless with nylock nuts. Front hole is drilled through the bow sprit, rear rod is bolted through existing anchor security lug, with no drilling required.
As my Escape is a biggish boat with plenty of carrying capacity, i elected to install the 2 x 135 a/h batteries to power the electric in the stern, on the opposite side to the main motor battery, running the 24 volt to the front with 6b&s cable, neatly hidden inside some conduit. Connection at the motor end in via 120amp Anderson plugs. I have added a 60amp manual reset circuit breaker near the battery, up under the rear deck on a bracket, along with a 50 amp Anderson plug (wired in series) to plug the 24 volt charger in to.
Due to work commitments, i haven't been able to get out and use it yet, but am sure all will function as intended.
I hope this post inspires others to install and electric on their runabout. It shows it can be done pretty easily, without butchering up your boat. Cheers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg motorguideinstall4.jpg (568.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg motorguideinstall1.JPG (600.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg motorguideinstall2.JPG (479.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg motorguideinstall3.JPG (718.1 KB, 3 views)

Pflueger Trion 2-4kg 701LT, Shimano Stradic 2500 Ci4

PB Bream - 37cm TTF, Tilsan Bass
PB Estuary Perch - 48cm TTF, Rebel Crawdad
PB Flathead - 71cm, TT Switchblade
Old 09-05-2017, 07:20 PM
Mature Bream

nice work

do you find having it mounted on top of the rails it distorts your vision as such when driving being in your view at that level?

www.razoredgelures.com

www.rapidfirefishing.com
Old 11-05-2017, 08:58 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp30tr View Post
nice work

do you find having it mounted on top of the rails it distorts your vision as such when driving being in your view at that level?
I haven't had the chance to use it yet, but as my boat is a runabout, vision from drivers position is fine. I am positive it wont be an issue.

Pflueger Trion 2-4kg 701LT, Shimano Stradic 2500 Ci4

PB Bream - 37cm TTF, Tilsan Bass
PB Estuary Perch - 48cm TTF, Rebel Crawdad
PB Flathead - 71cm, TT Switchblade