Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Reels

Reels Who’s using what, find out in here.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:01 PM
Blue Lip

Daiwa Theory - pics and some wordy things...

I know there has been some talk with these Daiwa Theory's and more talk than any pics on here, so got a 3012PE-H and tore it down yesterday.

Quiet surprised the internal structure and the overall construction quality - even if its "Made in China" - suspect that the parts are only shipped there for assembly...

Lighting is a bit average so I apologize in advance - was a horrible day for it yesterday... Sorry Yellow didnt get to your Tate...

So the reel itself is nothing too great to look at - the handle itself is a little odd because its so thin, yet weighs quiet a bit in comparison to others, seems that Daiwa handles are what weighs the most of their reels.

So the reel itself - Dirty at the start. The spool itself is pretty average like some grease or oil has dried on it... Couldnt get it off and wiped with a few things but didnt want to risk wiping the anodising and writing off it also.

20180203_161029.jpg
20180203_161042.jpg

20180203_164134.jpg

New rotor lock nut assembly - this is exactly the same as the nuts on the new Certate's. Better design, as a smaller / lower rolling resistance bearing can be installed and the inner stainless cup provides a bit more stability in the nut itself. Have seen in the past a few cracked nuts from corrosion between the bearing and the nut.

20180203_164756.jpg

3 screw magseal plate - finally! No need to exactly align the magseal plate to microscopic tolerances. Also top plate means that there is not as much a chance of water getting in under it.

20180203_164849.jpg

Underside of the magseal plate - nothing fancy to see but its a much better design of previous. Yeh and some sneaky blobs of grease in there - why???

Last edited by Slazmo; 03-02-2018 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:06 PM
Blue Lip

20180203_164900.jpg

Magseal cylinder - much more stable / strong and water resistant!!! On this particular reel, its there and moulded within the body, thats a good thing in my eyes. No vertical crevices where the older cylinder has to loosely mate up against the body line and let water in behind the magseal structure itself - whats the point in that case?

20180203_165324.jpg

Gearbox - simple and to the point.

20180203_165330.jpg

Oscillation drive - funnily enough - HAS A METAL OSCILLATOR GEAR lol... When Daiwa put a plastic oscillator gear in the Certate 2510 models etc...

20180203_165341.jpg

Main gear - very well machined. The reel has a little gear 'brrr' but its within acceptable / normal use. I really liked the strength of this gear and the way that it was machined and finished off... Better than the 16 Certate I did which had a nuffed gears from factory... These gears are just burly and the wear profile is very nice in comparison.

20180203_170124.jpg

Aluminium main shaft, surprised me to be honest. Like the old Stradic F's and many other Shimano's this has a Tuffram / anodised coated main shaft. Very very very light in the hand and not a but of scouring or wear anywhere to see!

Last edited by Slazmo; 03-02-2018 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:10 PM
Blue Lip

20180203_170343.jpg

All the parts - you can see whatever you want out of that "shrugging shoulders".

20180203_172936.jpg

Parts drying - I kid yesterday was a horrible day for anything to dry...

Anyhow some other observations.

* Bail friction sleeves on the Line Roller arm side
* Lots of shims throughout reel.
* No screwed in "Engine" plates - gear shimming is behind bearing! (thank god)
* Engine plates are actually aluminium - glued etc to the body itself.
* All Zaion rotor and frame and half side of the body - no aluminium half gearbox like on other reels eg: Exist's / Luvias's (like why bother)...
* Bearings are ZZ shielded unlike those on the Luvias which are all open.

* Pretty honest reel throughout - no BS - if a choice between a Luvias or Theory I would take a Theory.

Last edited by Slazmo; 04-02-2018 at 12:23 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: