Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Boats > Electric Trolling Motors

Electric Trolling Motors The ultimate bream fishing accessory...

Old 20-04-2017, 07:41 AM
Mature Bream

12 or 24 volt chargers

Hi all, it looks like I am going to keep my 490 Quintrex Escape and add an electric motor to make my lure fishing a bit easier.
I am looking at an 80lb Motorguide Xi5 (24 volt) and am wondering whether it is worthwhile going with a 24 volt charger and if so which brand/model is a good choice.
I have a good 12 volt charger already so I could just buy another one so I can charge both batteries at the same time at a good rate, but I don't want to stuff around disconnecting them from their "in series" connection. I am thinking that if I had a 24 volt charger I could just disconnect the trolling motor via an Anderson plug and plug the charger in at that point.
What methods of charging 2 x 12 volt batteries connected in series are others using?
Thanks for any advice.

Pflueger Trion 2-4kg 701LT, Shimano Stradic 2500 Ci4

PB Bream - 37cm TTF, Tilsan Bass
PB Estuary Perch - 48cm TTF, Rebel Crawdad
PB Flathead - 71cm, TT Switchblade
Old 20-04-2017, 08:40 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacer420 View Post
Hi all, it looks like I am going to keep my 490 Quintrex Escape and add an electric motor to make my lure fishing a bit easier.
I am looking at an 80lb Motorguide Xi5 (24 volt) and am wondering whether it is worthwhile going with a 24 volt charger and if so which brand/model is a good choice.
I have a good 12 volt charger already so I could just buy another one so I can charge both batteries at the same time at a good rate, but I don't want to stuff around disconnecting them from their "in series" connection. I am thinking that if I had a 24 volt charger I could just disconnect the trolling motor via an Anderson plug and plug the charger in at that point.
What methods of charging 2 x 12 volt batteries connected in series are others using?
Thanks for any advice.
Further research indicates that it is ok to charge both batteries with 2 x 12 volt chargers (connected individually to each battery) at the same time, without having to disconnect the series link from the positive terminal of one battery to the negative terminal of the other. So for me the best way would probably be to buy another 12 volt charger and just disconnect the motor from the batteries prior to charging the batteries. I could run pos/neg wires from each battery to 2 x Anderson plugs to make connection to the charges easy. What do others think?

Old 20-04-2017, 10:12 AM
Mature Bream

You won't have to disconnect the batteries or the motor to charge the batteries. Just connect the 12v charger to each battery individually.
If your not in a hurry one 12v charger will do the job otherwise yeah get another one.
Running seperate wires for charging is a good idea if access is difficult, but if you use Anderson plugs then you will need the same plugs on the charger end. Depending on what charger you have you can get plugs to suit and connect them to each battery for charging.
Old 20-04-2017, 10:40 AM
Big Bream

mate I had the same dilemma, go to supercheap and get their "SmartCharger" it does 6/12 and 24volt and does lead acid, calcium etc etc, plus instead of leds it has an ammeter that shows how much charge they are taking,
Old 20-04-2017, 10:34 PM
Blue Lip

All of the above is correct: you don't need to disconnect batteries in series to charge them individually.

The same applies to the Minn Kota on-board chargers: it is a two bank charger. Each bank is connected to the 12 V battery even if they hard wired in series to produce 24V DC.

I'd just buy a second charger and use two to charge two 12-Volt batteries at the same time.

You don't need to disconnect the Anderson plug either. Just trip the circuit breaker (you do have one?)

Monster Miki Addict
Old 22-04-2017, 11:42 PM
Mature Bream

Gday,

I know it is definitely a smaller boat but I have a Minn Kota RT55 (12v) on my Escape 450 and the power is heaps more than I ever need, I am usually just putting along at setting 1-2 (of 10) when flicking lures down gippy or at most setting 4-6 when trolling at 3-3.5km up on the lakes?

My mate had a Barra Pro 489 up until recently with 90etec and he also had a 12v RT55, which seemed ok even for trolling on many, many trips.

Not really sure of the extra drag of the 490 Escape over the 489 Barra Pro, but seems maybe overkill to have to go to 24v, unless you maybe need to hold/make headway in some serious current?

BTW with the Minn Kota, and for what suits me and the Mrs, I now have the complete boat in my 450, great for going out on the bay, great up on the lakes even in winter, great down gippy flicking lures etc... Another benefit in the runabout is the Kota can be stored under the transom out of the way.
Old 23-04-2017, 09:17 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbler View Post
Gday,

I know it is definitely a smaller boat but I have a Minn Kota RT55 (12v) on my Escape 450 and the power is heaps more than I ever need, I am usually just putting along at setting 1-2 (of 10) when flicking lures down gippy or at most setting 4-6 when trolling at 3-3.5km up on the lakes?

My mate had a Barra Pro 489 up until recently with 90etec and he also had a 12v RT55, which seemed ok even for trolling on many, many trips.

Not really sure of the extra drag of the 490 Escape over the 489 Barra Pro, but seems maybe overkill to have to go to 24v, unless you maybe need to hold/make headway in some serious current?

BTW with the Minn Kota, and for what suits me and the Mrs, I now have the complete boat in my 450, great for going out on the bay, great up on the lakes even in winter, great down gippy flicking lures etc... Another benefit in the runabout is the Kota can be stored under the transom out of the way.
I would save heaps getting a 55lb, but am so nervous of spending 2-3 grand and finding that the motor isn't big enough. All the forums say go bigger if you can, but the cost is quite a bit more so I would love to go 55lb if I could. I'll start a new thread, asking the question of the Bream Gurus on here.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:50 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacer420 View Post
I would save heaps getting a 55lb, but am so nervous of spending 2-3 grand and finding that the motor isn't big enough. All the forums say go bigger if you can, but the cost is quite a bit more so I would love to go 55lb if I could. I'll start a new thread, asking the question of the Bream Gurus on here.
Thanks guys for the advice, I bit the bullet and went with a Motorguide 80lb/60 inch. Peace of mind knowing it will be big enough, according to my research. Ordered today, should have by Wednesday or Thursday. I also ended up buying a Matson 24 volt charger on eBay for $249. I just think it will be less hassle to charge my 2 x batteries linked in series. Advice seems to be to charge them individually occasionally on 12 volt as well, which i will probably look at doing. Already have a decent 16amp 12 volt charger for that job.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: