Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 4.92 average. Display Modes
Old 08-11-2017, 04:18 PM
Blue Lip

Yeh they had a strange sliding / rotating lever at the back for power / lumens and another sliding lever on the front for lense throw adjustment. Wasn't my cup'o'tea.

Have a couple of those Energizer red headlamps - water resistant el cheap'o jobs which work admirably.

Just invested in a couple of head straps for $2.50 a pop to use my Inova X1 as a headlamp - as a EDC torch it certainly ticks my boxes as a duel role torch now. Especially when size and complexity comes to mind and carrying a spare AA battery or two and the headstrap pfft thats just clipped to my bag and dangles in the wind like a neutered dogs penny sack.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:17 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slazmo View Post
Yeh they had a strange sliding / rotating lever at the back for power / lumens and another sliding lever on the front for lense throw adjustment. Wasn't my cup'o'tea.

Have a couple of those Energizer red headlamps - water resistant el cheap'o jobs which work admirably.

Just invested in a couple of head straps for $2.50 a pop to use my Inova X1 as a headlamp - as a EDC torch it certainly ticks my boxes as a duel role torch now. Especially when size and complexity comes to mind and carrying a spare AA battery or two and the headstrap pfft thats just clipped to my bag and dangles in the wind like a neutered dogs penny sack.
Yeah I basically need a spot light with single handed operation, that I can strap to my head.

I do have a few lighter weight headlamps which are a pleasure to wear but they dont have what it takes to spot fins of interest at night

Last edited by yellow door 1; 09-11-2017 at 05:08 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:39 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

The salted carp is still holding its own

Old 13-11-2017, 08:34 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Update on the little fella who got his fins munched by the Yabby

Old 16-11-2017, 10:07 PM
Mature Bream

Love my Led lenser head lamps. The H14R.2 is a ripper although I too hate the knob setup in that it can be pushed and flatten the battery. I will come up with a mod like yours to fix this too.

I have put them through many camping and fishing trips, including hundreds of hours beach fishing and the H14R.2 is still as good as day one. More than bright enough and last plenty of time. I have had trips where I have stayed on the beach fishing for 2 weeks at a time and it always lasts more than a full night.
Old 17-11-2017, 02:06 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by beans07 View Post
Love my Led lenser head lamps. The H14R.2 is a ripper although I too hate the knob setup in that it can be pushed and flatten the battery. I will come up with a mod like yours to fix this too.

I have put them through many camping and fishing trips, including hundreds of hours beach fishing and the H14R.2 is still as good as day one. More than bright enough and last plenty of time. I have had trips where I have stayed on the beach fishing for 2 weeks at a time and it always lasts more than a full night.
Good to hear Beans - You just reminded me to charge mine - the green indicator is still coming on but I've used it a few nights now - and last nights session went on a bit longer than planned.

But my old headlamps wouldnt last one night - bringing spare batteries is an easy fix but its nice to not have to change mid session.
Old 17-11-2017, 03:12 AM
Mature Bream

I have one of the older smaller units that isn't rechargeable. I always had to carry batteries and especially on the beach was a real pain in the neck. You could never find the batteries when you needed them. Anything other than duracell tended to go flat a look quicker and not be able to give you enough light.

The rechargeable one was cleverly thought out in that you can replace the batteries easily enough with new ones when the time comes, with battery technology getting better the lithium based ones now are better than when I got mine a few years ago. I haven't needed to change mine yet though.

Another thing that I like is that Led Lenser is owned by Tim Leatherman of the leatherman tools fame. The leatherman warranty is as good as it gets. I had one of his tools 30 years old passed down from my Grandfather and outside of the warranty that was in bad shape. They replaced it no questions asked even though it was out of warranty and let me keep it for sentimental sake. The Led Lenser brand also carries a good and backed up warranty.

Happy fishing man, hope you get a jewie or two. I am about to start a beach assault for them for the season in the next few weeks. Just working on my gear and restocking everything for the season.
Old 17-11-2017, 05:35 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by beans07 View Post
I have one of the older smaller units that isn't rechargeable. I always had to carry batteries and especially on the beach was a real pain in the neck. You could never find the batteries when you needed them. Anything other than duracell tended to go flat a look quicker and not be able to give you enough light.

The rechargeable one was cleverly thought out in that you can replace the batteries easily enough with new ones when the time comes, with battery technology getting better the lithium based ones now are better than when I got mine a few years ago. I haven't needed to change mine yet though.

Another thing that I like is that Led Lenser is owned by Tim Leatherman of the leatherman tools fame. The leatherman warranty is as good as it gets. I had one of his tools 30 years old passed down from my Grandfather and outside of the warranty that was in bad shape. They replaced it no questions asked even though it was out of warranty and let me keep it for sentimental sake. The Led Lenser brand also carries a good and backed up warranty.

Happy fishing man, hope you get a jewie or two. I am about to start a beach assault for them for the season in the next few weeks. Just working on my gear and restocking everything for the season.
Yeah I've only ever heard good things about Leatherman - until today - that is freaky you should bring them up

A mate got me one as a present for services rendered and I gave it back because it didnt suit my needs - (I didnt ask for a gift and the one he got sucked, so I pretended I couldnt take such an extravagant gift) and today he tells me he snapped it while trying to pry some wood off a door frame

But this was one of the new, cheap, junky Leathermans that cost $40 and only exist because Leatherman wants a slice of the cheap multi tool market.

He's still got his original Leatherman he used to cut off padlocks off baggage while doing security work for the UN in Africa. But some of the new stuff isnt up to spec.

Its a shame companies, synonymous with quality, have to bend their ethics and materials because theres blokes like me who love a bargain - but we can only hope their flag ship products adhere to the strict quality control of the past.

Good Luck with them Jews. Im a river dweller in Victoria - so our season has come and gone - the only good thing about fishing for Jews at this time of year is - the big residents are still there

Last edited by yellow door 1; 17-11-2017 at 12:20 PM.
Old 17-11-2017, 06:55 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Last edited by yellow door 1; 17-11-2017 at 11:00 PM.
Old 22-11-2017, 05:49 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

My mates boat is an old wooden beast with limited possibilities to attach non permanent stubby holders. But it does have a raised wooden edge to keep the water out around the back deck

He'd thrown out my pvc pipe creations during spring cleaning and we had a few casualties on the weekend, so something had to be done

Sure these fold back clips will rust out over a couple of months - but if they save one beer - it will be worth it.

They can also clip on to the cutting board which is handy

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8174.jpg (55.8 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg 8175.jpg (42.7 KB, 136 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 22-11-2017 at 05:56 PM.
Old 23-11-2017, 08:22 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Did the $2 pliers you just bought come with way too much daylight between the cutters to cut 6lb flouro and was cutting 2lb fire-line just a dream
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8173.jpg (101.8 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 23-11-2017 at 08:31 AM.
Old 23-11-2017, 08:29 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Nothing an angle grinder cant fix.

Just grind off the teeth, so the cutting blades can kiss.- and now you're chomping limp, 2lb fire line, with your hook removal device.

Admittedly theres only a small sweet spot in the the bottom 1/3rd of the cutting surface that can do this - but its better than nothing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8172.jpg (316.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 8171.jpg (273.6 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 23-11-2017 at 08:40 AM.
Old 23-11-2017, 09:32 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
Nothing an angle grinder cant fix.

Just grind off the teeth, so the cutting blades can kiss.- and now you're chomping limp, 2lb fire line, with your hook removal device.

Admittedly theres only a small sweet spot in the the bottom 1/3rd of the cutting surface that can do this - but its better than nothing.
The replaceable cutters on my leatherman can split ant pubes
Old 24-11-2017, 08:11 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella fella View Post
The replaceable cutters on my leatherman can split ant pubes

Yeah but can they handle something really thin like 2lb fireline
Old 25-11-2017, 02:17 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: