Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #16  
Old 19-07-2018, 04:37 AM
dannydownunder's Avatar
dannydownunder dannydownunder is offline
Poddy Bream
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Melbourne South East
Posts: 95
Ok, so am running the 8lb and the 20lb. confident in the 20lb, but the 8lb is making me nervous. Best I could get was a 5lb break during testing, otherwise i like the feel of it so far.
__________________
PB - Trout - Rainbow 72cm - Strikepro Pygmy
PB - Carp - Common 91cm - Squidgie Lava
PB - Bream - Yellow Fin 44cm - Gulp
Hooked - Captivated by or devoted to a custom or thing.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 19-07-2018, 04:49 AM
yellow door 1's Avatar
yellow door 1 yellow door 1 is offline
LEGEND Unicorn
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: melbourne
Posts: 12,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydownunder View Post
Ok, so am running the 8lb and the 20lb. confident in the 20lb, but the 8lb is making me nervous. Best I could get was a 5lb break during testing, otherwise i like the feel of it so far.
Ahh Bummer - can you describe your testing technique. ie knots - what you are tying to - what sort of scales you are using etc

I used to get lower breaking results if I tied my uni knots directly to the hook of my scales - for some reason the fatter the metal I tied to, the worse the results - thats why I use wire clips

edit------------------------------------------------Just test my 8lb with a wet uni knot on a wire lure clip
and got 5.96lb

Last edited by yellow door 1; 19-07-2018 at 04:58 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 19-07-2018, 05:29 AM
dannydownunder's Avatar
dannydownunder dannydownunder is offline
Poddy Bream
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Melbourne South East
Posts: 95
I usually test my braid by tying double loop knots in each end then hitching those 3 turns over some dowel and also over the digital scale hook. I also do the same but roll it instead of tying it. Rolling it against the scale makes for very smooth and gradual pressure and therefore the best results. Otherwise often do the same thing with a tied leader that you mentioned.

I never get breaks at the knot with the first 2 methods.

The 20lb broke within 70-90% of its strain, which is good and that is what
I get with most decent braid, but the 8lb made me nervous.

I do like the feel of it though and it casts nice, the 5.96lb your getting is a very good result at the price point.
__________________
PB - Trout - Rainbow 72cm - Strikepro Pygmy
PB - Carp - Common 91cm - Squidgie Lava
PB - Bream - Yellow Fin 44cm - Gulp
Hooked - Captivated by or devoted to a custom or thing.

Last edited by dannydownunder; 19-07-2018 at 05:32 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 19-07-2018, 06:14 AM
yellow door 1's Avatar
yellow door 1 yellow door 1 is offline
LEGEND Unicorn
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: melbourne
Posts: 12,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydownunder View Post
I usually test my braid by tying double loop knots in each end then hitching those 3 turns over some dowel and also over the digital scale hook. I also do the same but roll it instead of tying it. Rolling it against the scale makes for very smooth and gradual pressure and therefore the best results. Otherwise often do the same thing with a tied leader that you mentioned.

I never get breaks at the knot with the first 2 methods.

The 20lb broke within 70-90% of its strain, which is good and that is what
I get with most decent braid, but the 8lb made me nervous.

I do like the feel of it though and it casts nice, the 5.96lb your getting is a very good result at the price point.
Yeah your method sounds more well thought out and accurate than mine.

I noticed carp anglers love those doubled loop knots for attaching braided leaders but I'd never bothered to test how strong they were - I'll give it a crack soon - thanks
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 19-07-2018, 06:43 AM
yellow door 1's Avatar
yellow door 1 yellow door 1 is offline
LEGEND Unicorn
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: melbourne
Posts: 12,314
Ok the results are in - I tried a similar method to yours (a few wraps taped around a bare spool) and started getting worse results

My line started breaking at the spool instead of the knot - At first I was impressed at the strength of the knot but then puzzled as to why the braid was now snapping at 4.5lb

Then it dawned on me - its the friction of the line being tightened over a semi bare surface that is breaking the line.

So I grabbed a full spool of line and tested again and got 6.5lb - so when the line beds into a cushion of other line its much harder to break than when you pull it over a semi bare surface.

Crisis over
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 714.jpg (130.1 KB, 0 views)
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 19-07-2018, 07:37 AM
yellow door 1's Avatar
yellow door 1 yellow door 1 is offline
LEGEND Unicorn
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: melbourne
Posts: 12,314
Give my way a try and see if it breaks any higher - I think its the dowel thats the problem


Just did a few uni's where I looped the braid twice through the snap before finishing the knot and got 8.48lb, 8.92lb and 8.52lb - so there definitely something about the line being pulled over a full spool that increases its strength.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 19-07-2018, 08:09 AM
dannydownunder's Avatar
dannydownunder dannydownunder is offline
Poddy Bream
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Melbourne South East
Posts: 95
are you saying its braking at the spool? All mine break 50 to 60mm back from the knot.
__________________
PB - Trout - Rainbow 72cm - Strikepro Pygmy
PB - Carp - Common 91cm - Squidgie Lava
PB - Bream - Yellow Fin 44cm - Gulp
Hooked - Captivated by or devoted to a custom or thing.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 19-07-2018, 08:14 AM
yellow door 1's Avatar
yellow door 1 yellow door 1 is offline
LEGEND Unicorn
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: melbourne
Posts: 12,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydownunder View Post
are you saying its braking at the spool? All mine break 50 to 60mm back from the knot.
Ahh thats weird - yeah mine were braking at the spool - now I'm really curious - could you give my method a go. (you might want to take 5m of line off and xrap it back onto the spool so your line doesnt dig in too deeply when you pull on it)

Coz I went from 4.5lb to 8.9lb by making some changes
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 19-07-2018, 08:16 AM
dannydownunder's Avatar
dannydownunder dannydownunder is offline
Poddy Bream
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Melbourne South East
Posts: 95
Yeah sure will & post results tomorrow.
__________________
PB - Trout - Rainbow 72cm - Strikepro Pygmy
PB - Carp - Common 91cm - Squidgie Lava
PB - Bream - Yellow Fin 44cm - Gulp
Hooked - Captivated by or devoted to a custom or thing.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 19-07-2018, 09:08 PM
yellow door 1's Avatar
yellow door 1 yellow door 1 is offline
LEGEND Unicorn
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: melbourne
Posts: 12,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydownunder View Post
Yeah sure will & post results tomorrow.
Thanks Mate
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 19-07-2018, 11:19 PM
dannydownunder's Avatar
dannydownunder dannydownunder is offline
Poddy Bream
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Melbourne South East
Posts: 95
Ok

So using the full spool and an empty spool method you described we managed to get 5.14Lb, with the line braking dead set in the middle. Using an empty spool and hitching it multiple times directly to the scale hook, we managed to achieve 5.24Lb. Line in this instance braking almost in the middle.

I also replicated my 2 test methods today and achieved 4.96Lb with the roll and 4.84Lb loop to loop, braking 40-75mm from the knot.

I also tried testing some Sunline SuperPE 15lb with all the above methods and achieved results ranging 13-14Lb.
__________________
PB - Trout - Rainbow 72cm - Strikepro Pygmy
PB - Carp - Common 91cm - Squidgie Lava
PB - Bream - Yellow Fin 44cm - Gulp
Hooked - Captivated by or devoted to a custom or thing.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 19-07-2018, 11:55 PM
yellow door 1's Avatar
yellow door 1 yellow door 1 is offline
LEGEND Unicorn
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: melbourne
Posts: 12,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydownunder View Post
Ok

So using the full spool and an empty spool method you described we managed to get 5.14Lb, with the line braking dead set in the middle. Using an empty spool and hitching it multiple times directly to the scale hook, we managed to achieve 5.24Lb. Line in this instance braking almost in the middle.

I also replicated my 2 test methods today and achieved 4.96Lb with the roll and 4.84Lb loop to loop, braking 40-75mm from the knot.

I also tried testing some Sunline SuperPE 15lb with all the above methods and achieved results ranging 13-14Lb.
Thanks for doing all that - I know how much of a pain in the arse testing line can be - so your efforts are much appreciated.

While its annoying your braid isnt living up to its expectations - At the very least -now you've got some sweet cheap braid that consistently breaks at around 5lb
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 20-07-2018, 12:13 AM
dannydownunder's Avatar
dannydownunder dannydownunder is offline
Poddy Bream
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Melbourne South East
Posts: 95
Yeah I'm very happy with 20Lb, and the 8Lb breaking consistently around that 5Lb mark is quiet good really for $8+. It is supple and casts well. I might grab some more and test those too.
__________________
PB - Trout - Rainbow 72cm - Strikepro Pygmy
PB - Carp - Common 91cm - Squidgie Lava
PB - Bream - Yellow Fin 44cm - Gulp
Hooked - Captivated by or devoted to a custom or thing.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 20-07-2018, 02:06 AM
yellow door 1's Avatar
yellow door 1 yellow door 1 is offline
LEGEND Unicorn
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: melbourne
Posts: 12,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydownunder View Post
Yeah I'm very happy with 20Lb, and the 8Lb breaking consistently around that 5Lb mark is quiet good really for $8+. It is supple and casts well. I might grab some more and test those too.
Yeah after the 8lb was well behaved, I grabbed the 10lb - 15lb - 20lb and 40lb.

I havent tested them as extensively but they have been breaking at 75%+ with a standard uni knot - so I'm happy tying FG's to Vanish Leader of the same stated breaking strain.

One other bonus is the line has much more grip than fireline crystal - Somtimes fireline crystal is so "slick" out of the box that its difficult to tie an FG - you have to do heaps more wraps to get them to grip
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 28-07-2018, 08:21 PM
dannydownunder's Avatar
dannydownunder dannydownunder is offline
Poddy Bream
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Melbourne South East
Posts: 95
wow... went to buy some more, its now at a whopping $12.98 + GST!!
__________________
PB - Trout - Rainbow 72cm - Strikepro Pygmy
PB - Carp - Common 91cm - Squidgie Lava
PB - Bream - Yellow Fin 44cm - Gulp
Hooked - Captivated by or devoted to a custom or thing.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Google