Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Lures > Soft Plastics

Soft Plastics Nothing but jubes in here…
Ecogear, Sliders, Atomic, Gene Larew, Bream Master...

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 08:55 PM
Mature Bream

Plenty of people saying its a bait here, but not one good argument saying why they think its bait. You can deadstick a storm twitchin nipper soaked in scent (or not) or any other bait shaped lure, why is Gulp any different? If you put some action into a Gulp minnow, what is that, a livie???

Just because you can't call it a "placcie" any more doesn't make it bait. Nobody can tell me what they're made of, I'm dead sure there aren't crushed up sandworms in the 3" Camo's, and I reckon the makers wouldn't put anything previously living in them (too costly to start with).

The main difference with Gulp is its porous, which means it will hold a lot more scent than other lures which just carry scent on the surface. That might wash off sooner. Doesn't that just make it a better lure? If you think thats cheating, just stop using scent altogether.

So come on, if you think its a bait, tell us why...

Last edited by Rodman; 09-12-2005 at 09:39 PM.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:07 PM
Blue Lip

SP's are made from of course - plastic, fish do not eat or digest plastic they are lures. Gulps say on the packet they are "100% natural" this means its not a plastic. And it also says on the packet "fish eat it" which says to me its a source of food to them, which i believe can be classified as bait. They are also biodegradable. So gulps may be bait in the form of a lure but they are def not a lure as such. jmo
Anyway correct me if im wrong but arent they called "softbaits" as named by the makers, who say they outfish all i quote "other baits" they call them baits obviously.

Last edited by Squidgee_Man; 09-12-2005 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:26 PM
Mature Bream

This is a vintage lure made from leather. It's not a HB and it's not an SP because it's not plastic. It's 100% natural, and it's biodegradeable. Being leather it's also porous and would hold a lot of scent. If they had scents when these were made would anyone be calling it a bait? I bet the same Gulp scent applied to this would do as well as 3" minnows.

Crankbaits, stickbaits, creaturebaits, they're all called baits. But thats not what's being said here.
Prawns, worms, crabs, live stuff found natively in the fish's habitat - thats bait.
Bread, chicken, human food that people use as bait - still bait.
Manufactured lures is what we're talking about. I reckon if you make it from bait, its bait, if the ingredients don't fit into the above, how can it be bait?

Good on ya Drewy, you've open up a real can of worms here . [dug from the ground - bait, manufactured - lure]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture1425.jpg (7.2 KB, 212 views)
Old 09-12-2005, 09:31 PM
Blue Lip

Nether you or I can solidly say with 100% evidence to back us up on whether its a bait or a lure so i dont think its possible to give a decent arguement ether way but if you compare it to the likes of the Ultra Bite red dough stuff, how is it any different to gulps except the consistancy of gulp is much more compact and keeps its shape better although im sure there is the extra element that alows the gulp to flex as the tail flutters but other then that they are very alike.

Deadsticking a twitching nipper is alot different to a gulp IMO as like i said before, a bream might hold onto a scented twitching nipper for a lil while but i highly doubt it would swallow it and digest it.

Also it doesnt doesnt need to have been living to be a bait, look at bread or cheese unless you wanna argue that the wheat was once living and the cheese came from a living cow which would be fare to say i suppose.

So i have no real solid arguement to why its a bait but to me if it can be digested and its edible to fish then it seems like it would be a bait but then there is no solid evidence to prove they can comfortably digest a gulp.

I havnt used gulps alot nor do i claim to know alot about them but im just viewing my opinnion based on what i have seen and heard by others so, yes i may sound like a tool argueing this but yer its just my way of looking at this topic.

Associated with:

www.jiggyjigs.com
"gettin jiggy with it"
Old 09-12-2005, 10:14 PM
Blue Lip

im with Dagga there,there is no real conclusive evidence either way,although i believe they have more characteristics of a lure rather than a bait,thus i would classify them as a lure.
I belive there there would be a case to answer if they were made from minced up chrushed pillies or another recognised "bait" but im sure whatever goes into gulps is quite highly refined and would resemble nothing by itself but when added together with other elements it becomes a viable option to catch fish on.
What im saying is i think everyone is stuck on the idea that says 100% natural and biodegradeable,its probably so far removed form a ntural bait eg:sandworm or pillie that it really falls under the classification of a lure because it is manufactured as one,it is produced by ppl with probably several degrees and natural based elements,its really neither,for insatnce who calls spam a meat its been so highly processed it really becomes a "product".
Its not like a gulp would be simpe to construct thus,even though it is made form natural ingredients it is a lure because it has been made one which is far different from say fihsing a prawn on a jighead.
As for fishing methods of gulps,well lets leave out the total tool who fishes cubes of gulp on a paternoster rig,as this is clearly tool like behaviour.As for lure fishos who fish gulps on jig heads in the normal cast retireve motion then its a lure.Then there is the dead sticking issue,well i belive its a matter of choice,if u throw the plastic out and leave it a rod holder,regardless of the sp ur lure fishing albeit in a unsportsman like way.but if u fisah a gulp cast and retireve and u get a hit and then dead stick it till u get another hit or hook up then i dont see problem(providing the time limit is within reason)most ppl would do this with other sps that may be heavily scented or contain scents or other attractants,so i dont really see the issue.
I personally have no issue with fihsing gulps,and if im not hvaing any luck on my other sp then i may switch to a gulp,but they are by no means a go-to plastic for me,if thats whats catching fish then ill fish it,simple.and i dont think that the person fihsing as gulp will always have an advantage over soeone who is fishing a "regular" sp.
In summation i believe that a gulp if it had to be classified it would be put in the category of a lure,in the end i and i suppose everyone else goes fishing to catch fish if the gulps is the lure that will catch them when nothing else is working then ill fish it.
Sorry about the long reply i just belive its a complex topic,and there is many different aspects u can look at it from.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:20 AM
Mature Bream

Dagga, you're not sounding like a tool, you're just expressing your thoughts on the subject same as everybody else. I covered bread and cheese, yes they're bait.

Well said BA, probably the best post of yours I've read. I think the last couple of posts are on the mark. I'll shaddap now and let others have a go.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:34 AM

If i completely dry out a mulie and then shove piece of wire trough it and clip a treble on the back and split ring on the front is it a lure or a bait?

In my eyes this is exactly the same using that dried leather lure thing. And the same as gulp. gulp is just a differnt form of bait.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:05 AM
Blue Lip

it looks like just about evryone has a diffrent veiw on gulps but in reallity how really cares??????? i mean gulp users like my self arent going to spot useing them becouse some on reccons they are bait and i dont think they work all the time any way like today at the hay river dad got 2 bream on gold scorps and i got some hits on vibes than i put on a sandworm nothing not evan a hit back to the vibe hit a gain and the sarvo i went down to emu pont and got a bream on a vibe than put on a gulp and nothing so i changed to a atomic fat grub and got a skippy than a herring back to gulps nothing???

deacon

Jiggy Jigs
www.jiggyjigs.com

Rapid Fire Rods
rapidfirerods@internode.on.net

…some say he has acquired the taste for human meat won’t respond to covenantal baits only way to hook him is to use a Childs toe…..
Old 10-12-2005, 05:47 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Well well well, Cheers. That is exactly the sort of uncouth responce I would expect from a dirty smelly bait fisherman

Gulps are awesome - I use them all the time. I just like teasing blokes who think they aren't a bait.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:27 AM
Mature Bream

I think the term "bait" on the packet is a reflection of the yanks calling their lures "bait" hence the term we have now accepted "crankbait" being a lure.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:43 AM
Big Bream

Interesting to note that the USA gents actually have hardbodies called crankbaits..

This thread has had me down purchasing more gulp shrimps..

Chuck the gulp out lazyboy while chucking HBs around..
Old 10-12-2005, 07:16 AM
Blue Lip

This has been a really great topic. I had no idea it would stir so much interest. Keep going guys.

Oh Ill add a little more to the topic - Who's better Ford or Holden
mohohoahahahahahaaaa

cheers, Nathan

VicBream Classics

Shipton Trading

Spotters Sunglasses

Jiggy Jigs

Jolie image

Old 10-12-2005, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Who cares what they are? Are you guys "too good" to fish with bait. Bream spinning is becoming an elitist pursuit only done by a bunch of pretentious ************************s who think they are better than the next angler. Why not limit technology as well and make everyone still fish with mono and centre pin reels?
mate im not to good to fish with bait, i love bait and i fish with bait all the tiem. the only reason i care is because 90% of the guys on these forums think they are so called' lures only fisherman' but then they use gulps, so they are not really 'lures only fisherman' cheers.

btw please dont delete this post, i know u moderaters love to delete my posts nowdays and u have deleted like 10 of my past 15 posts.

cheers
Old 10-12-2005, 07:57 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally posted by Acanthopagrus

Chuck the gulp out lazyboy while chucking HBs around..
We've done the "lazy boy" on the pinkies and it is actually far more effective when things are slow. (ie set and forget) (until the rod buckles over)

I could write a few thousand words on why I got onto and stick with, bream on lures but if I had to distill it down to one phrase it would be "A CHANGE OF PACE" - more could be said - but I'll leave it there.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:07 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Yeoh

btw please dont delete this post, i know u moderaters love to delete my posts nowdays and u have deleted like 10 of my past 15 posts.

cheers
Dude - you know the rules as well as the rest of us. If you dont break any - your posts will survive.

I've never had a post deleted that didnt deserve it If you've had 10 of the last 15 deleted - maybe youre a slow learner or just a trouble maker.

Either way - I like your style
Closed Thread