Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Old 12-07-2018, 10:23 PM
Blue Lip

I only use Gamakatsu EZ snaps, nothing else.

Decoys are softer and I opened one on a fish and that was the end of me using them.

Monster Miki Addict
Old 13-07-2018, 03:09 AM
Dead Set Legend

Smile with pics

Never really been a fan of clips for bream lures after I lost a tourny winning fish to a clip opening failure
I had replaced the split ring on a Halco sneaky scorp with a small clip as the old Halco split rings had razor sharp ends on the spirals.

It was a no-name crosslock type repackaged from bulk into a tackle store pack.

I only use clips now when squidding and the various Egi style have never let me down.
Originally I used the Gama Hyper, then moved on to the Daiwa EG as I liked the narrow loop where they attach to the jig.

Gamakatsu.JPG
Daiwa-snap.JPG

Like others I had trouble with the tight spring clip mechanism, so have moved on to the twist on type, favourites are the Mustad Fastach & the Breaden Snap.
I ALWAYS use a clip with squid jigs to protect the knot when the jig nose bumps along the bottom.
Mustad
mustad fastach.jpg

Breaden
Breaden-snap_close.jpg

I have also used the Owner P-20 clips to attach extra weight to squid jigs when fishing deeper water but I want to use a smaller jig.
Owner_lure_clip.jpg
Old 13-07-2018, 04:57 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
Never really been a fan of clips for bream lures after I lost a tourny winning fish to a clip opening failure
I had replaced the split ring on a Halco sneaky scorp with a small clip as the old Halco split rings had razor sharp ends on the spirals.

It was a no-name crosslock type repackaged from bulk into a tackle store pack.

I only use clips now when squidding and the various Egi style have never let me down.
Originally I used the Gama Hyper, then moved on to the Daiwa EG as I liked the narrow loop where they attach to the jig.

Attachment 113846
Attachment 113847

Like others I had trouble with the tight spring clip mechanism, so have moved on to the twist on type, favourites are the Mustad Fastach & the Breaden Snap.
I ALWAYS use a clip with squid jigs to protect the knot when the jig nose bumps along the bottom.
Mustad
Attachment 113848

Breaden
Attachment 113851

I have also used the Owner P-20 clips to attach extra weight to squid jigs when fishing deeper water but I want to use a smaller jig.
Attachment 113850
Damn Mark - thanks for that detailed reply.

I only started using snaps a few years ago - on a boat you can just bring multiple out fits but land based its nice to be able to quickly switch between lures with out shortening your leader.

I like to switch between lots of different lures. Always trying to find where the fish are sitting. Upsizing and downsizing both plastics and jighead weights, multiple times per spot, can take its toll on the length of your leader - plus the snaps are quicker.

I like to hotspot hop on the bike so I'll throw everything I have at one spot before moving on to the next and repeating the process

There are spots where I dont use them - especially if theres weed about but for everything else - the snaps have streamlined my fishing a fair bit

Last edited by yellow door 1; 13-07-2018 at 05:20 AM.
Old 13-07-2018, 05:25 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I only use Gamakatsu EZ snaps, nothing else.

Decoys are softer and I opened one on a fish and that was the end of me using them.
Thanks Alex - what's the model name of these decoys.

I'm the same with snaps - fail me once and thats it - the Tsnami clip in this vid was supposed to be rated to 70lb

p.s. I havent used a bent BBQ fork as a gaff since either

Old 13-07-2018, 05:36 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by donga View Post
Decoy round snap size 00

They are a pain but I use pliers to open and close. I also find rhem easier put onto the split ring or tow point with the pliers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevric View Post
Another fan of the Decoy snaps here. We have used them for many years for our estuary work but prefer the Mustard fastach clasps for offshore work. Both have issues with cold weather and stupid fingers that refuse to do what i want but other than that they are excellent.
As long as fish have more trouble opening them than we do, I spose being hard to open isnt all bad
Old 13-07-2018, 05:58 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

OK - so far its

Ebay cheapie
Gamakatsu hyper ez lock
Mustad 77415 classic
Mustad fast attach
Daiwa EG snap
Breadin
Owner P-20
Black Magic

I need 2 more contenders to round out the poll
Old 13-07-2018, 05:12 PM
Mature Bream

I guess the species of fish you are targeting and the lure you are using will make a difference to the way the clips perform. Bream fisho's could have trouble with clips where as a Flathead fisherman may not. Bream have a small hard mouth and i can see them opening a clip easier than say a Whiting or Flathead. When fishing Snapper the only clip i will use is the Mustard Fastach in the 50LB, it is easy to attach and change most lures; it is totally reliable although a bit difficult to manipulate with thicker wired hooks.
As to the strength of clips we have been using the Decoy's for years in the estuary systems targeting Flathead and Jew with no concerns. We have taken several nice Jew in the last several months which have really tested the gear and all has held together nicely. Obviously a direct tie is better than any clip but to change lures consistently as we do it can become a real pain.
Old 14-07-2018, 08:22 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevric View Post
I guess the species of fish you are targeting and the lure you are using will make a difference to the way the clips perform. Bream fisho's could have trouble with clips where as a Flathead fisherman may not. Bream have a small hard mouth and i can see them opening a clip easier than say a Whiting or Flathead. When fishing Snapper the only clip i will use is the Mustard Fastach in the 50LB, it is easy to attach and change most lures; it is totally reliable although a bit difficult to manipulate with thicker wired hooks.
As to the strength of clips we have been using the Decoy's for years in the estuary systems targeting Flathead and Jew with no concerns. We have taken several nice Jew in the last several months which have really tested the gear and all has held together nicely. Obviously a direct tie is better than any clip but to change lures consistently as we do it can become a real pain.
Thanks for that Servic - I'm loving the details.

Another reason I like the snaps is when fshing for snaps - The pinkies have a bad habit of ripping up plastics tails so I go out with 10-20 placcies prerigged.

I also dont like really long leaders - I tend to go with a 7ft so the leader knot isnt wrapped several times around the spool when casting - I'm not sure if it decreases the line getting wrapped around the guides/wind knots but part of me thinks it does.

So that means after cutting off 10 lures I've got bugger all leader left.

It was fishing for Jewies land based that really got me hooked on snaps. At each spot I'll work the top 1.5m - midwater and the bottom with different lures. Each lure gets no more than 6 casts to prove itself before the switch. I try to cover alot of ground so thats a heaps of lure changes in a session.

So snaps really make sense to the way I fish these days.
Old 14-07-2018, 08:28 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

I tend to pre rig a heap of lures and have some small containers or packets I can slip into my pocket. That way I dont have to go back to the bike to re-rig.

I tend to fish in low light alot, so knowing all my lures were rigged with surgical precision at home, is also comforting
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 728.jpg (227.9 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 14-07-2018 at 08:32 PM.
Old 14-07-2018, 09:59 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Old 14-07-2018, 10:06 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

https://www.fieldandstream.com/artic...10/snap-swivel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 727.jpg (81.0 KB, 1 views)
Old 14-07-2018, 10:14 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 726.jpg (62.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 15-07-2018, 08:39 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
Yeah that cant be confidence inspiring - any chance you left the clip open? Or are the decoys you bought a particularly fine wire clip?
nah closed 100% was fishing a shallow reef and my muddy prawn got snagged, whipped the rod to my hearts content to get the lure unstuck and eventually came off minus the lure and snap was open, so i had to force it open basically.
they are certainly fine wire and im pretty sure its the 00 size
will check and confirm when i get home
Old 15-07-2018, 10:19 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
Thanks Alex - what's the model name of these decoys.
Hi Larry, I'll find out today mate.

Monster Miki Addict
Old 15-07-2018, 10:55 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple5ive View Post
nah closed 100% was fishing a shallow reef and my muddy prawn got snagged, whipped the rod to my hearts content to get the lure unstuck and eventually came off minus the lure and snap was open, so i had to force it open basically.
they are certainly fine wire and im pretty sure its the 00 size
will check and confirm when i get home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Hi Larry, I'll find out today mate.
Thanks fellas - coz if its those round snaps - they seem to be failing well below expectations

Maybe the snaps get wedged on just the right angle between 2 rocks and the rocks squeeze the snaps, acting like fingers prying them open.

On rare occasions I've had my trebles crushed into a pretzel by bream - so they definitely have the crushing power to open up a snap
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l300.jpg (19.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 722.jpg (7.8 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 16-07-2018 at 03:05 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: