Go Back   Bream Master Forums > National SportFishing Scene > VIC Scene

Old 18-03-2015, 04:08 AM
Fingerling

Exclamation Gipsland Lakes And Mallacoota Abt

G'day guys, I'm just after some advise, I've decided to make the drive from western vic in June to have a crack at the couple of ABT events in Gippsland as a non boater. What lures and tackle should i be packing as I've never fished these venues. Any help is much appreciated.
Old 18-03-2015, 06:36 AM
Blue Lip

It all would depend on what style of fishing your boater likes

Again, some boaters let you fish with them at the front of the boat, some won't.
So be prepared to fish from the back deck and don't be too upset: it is all part of the deal.
If you don't like it just don't enter the comp. However, the experience you'll get is all worthwhile compared to the inconvenience of fishing from the back of the boat.

In Mallacoota it is not too bad as you can fish a second drop off if the boater fishes the edges. Or when you both are fishing deep (vibing), it doesn't really matter whether you are at the front or at the back.

So for the coota comp bring some plastics (wrigglers, mikis, grubs), some hards (SX40s, Double Clutches, Deep Chubbys, Atomic and Cranka shads). And most importantly, vibes as it will be June. You can use any of the most popular bream lures.

For the Gippy comp, it is similar to Coota, but could be more jetty fishing, flats and edges. However, I forgot it is going to be in June as well, so the deep bite could be on the cards. Bring a good supply of vibes (VX, ZX in 35 and 40mm, Atomic Metalz, Cranka Vibes, Strike Pro hammers, etc.)

Some house keeping advice: Keep in mind you need to ask your boaters if it is ok to bring so many (1,2,3,4,5) rods. I usually bring 3 but always ask. Get a double of the chocolate bars and water and offer to your boater. Offer some petrol money (they usually don't accept but you never know).

Ask for their mobile phone number at the briefing as you'll be fishing with different boater each day and agree on the place where they can pick you up (the jetty or start area or from the beach). Bring your own life jacket (PFD).

Good luck and enjoy the ride.
If anything goes to the plan I might see you at those comps.

Monster Miki Addict
Old 18-03-2015, 08:58 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post

Again, some boaters let you fish with them at the front of the boat, some won't.
So be prepared to fish from the back deck and don't be too upset: it is all part of the deal.
If you don't like it just don't enter the comp. However, the experience you'll get is all worthwhile compared to the inconvenience of fishing from the back of the boat.

In Mallacoota it is not too bad as you can fish a second drop off if the boater fishes the edges. Or when you both are fishing deep (vibing), it doesn't really matter whether you are at the front or at the back.

So for the coota comp bring some plastics (wrigglers, mikis, grubs), some hards (SX40s, Double Clutches, Deep Chubbys, Atomic and Cranka shads). And most importantly, vibes as it will be June. You can use any of the most popular bream lures.

For the Gippy comp, it is similar to Coota, but could be more jetty fishing, flats and edges. However, I forgot it is going to be in June as well, so the deep bite could be on the cards. Bring a good supply of vibes (VX, ZX in 35 and 40mm, Atomic Metalz, Cranka Vibes, Strike Pro hammers, etc.)

Some house keeping advice: Keep in mind you need to ask your boaters if it is ok to bring so many (1,2,3,4,5) rods. I usually bring 3 but always ask. Get a double of the chocolate bars and water and offer to your boater. Offer some petrol money (they usually don't accept but you never know).

Ask for their mobile phone number at the briefing as you'll be fishing with different boater each day and agree on the place where they can pick you up (the jetty or start area or from the beach). Bring your own life jacket (PFD).

Never fished a comp, but this sounds like sound advice Alex.

Interested on strike pros' new product though - the hammers?

They're really diving into a few different things
Old 18-03-2015, 09:04 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post

Back to back comps in June .. 100% sound advice from a guy who has fished the areas a lot over the years ..

As mentioned its completly your boaters call , so simply pre-pair for both a deep bite ( blades , plastics , dunks ) and also a lot of jettie , pontoon fishing .. So dependant on what you like throwing in the sinking varieties , Micro's , sticks , plastics and of course your normal hards will work on all the pontoons ..

Ive had a few non-boaters not ask and just walk up the front , its not the end of the world IMO , but its more a manners / courtesy thing ..

enjoy mate ..

Hope you dont draw me ha ha

Fish Tec Solutions

http://www.fish-tecsolutions.com/

Last edited by tobymcclure; 19-03-2015 at 02:22 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: