Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Rods

Rods Get the goss on what’s hot, and what’s not...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 13-02-2015, 12:42 AM
Blue Lip

"Maybe you have answered your own question mate? Have you used a rod with recoils before?"

Loomis yes, edge no. As much as it pains me to do so, i think i have to agree with martin. I'm convinced its a perceived sensitivity. Absolutely not saying edge rods aren't sensitive, just that the difference in feel between edge-sic and edge-recoil is a sort of false sensitivity.

I have been wrong before though....
Old 13-02-2015, 12:44 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by cod_botherer View Post
I've been lucky enough to use the same Edge rod (703) with and without recoils. The rod with the recoils a had increased sensitivity and was just holistically a better rod. It just didn't feel right at all without recoils.

The megabass groupies can run down edge as much as they want but deep down inside they just can't deal with the fact that there's a new apex series of rods on the market.
Or maybe it has to do with the fact that some people actually want to know the logic behind the "increased sensitivty" that's not anecdotal dribble. Idk, br0.
Old 13-02-2015, 01:23 AM
Big Bream

Wink

Quote:
I've been lucky enough to use the same Edge rod (703) with and without recoils. The rod with the recoils a had increased sensitivity and was just holistically a better rod. It just didn't feel right at all without recoils.

The megabass groupies can run down edge as much as they want but deep down inside they just can't deal with the fact that there's a new apex series of rods on the market.
When your talking outright performance, Megabass is like running a cross country wearing Emporio Armani casual sportswear.

It's not how well it fishes but how good it feels to fish one.

Using lines like light PE fished the way we do here, how it feels to you is most important..

On that note, on US sites, anglers rave about the sensitivity of the Loomis NRX series. Has anyone fished one?

Last edited by Martin Lo; 13-02-2015 at 01:40 AM.
Old 13-02-2015, 02:31 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Lo View Post
When your talking outright performance, Megabass is like running a cross country wearing Emporio Armani casual sportswear.

It's not how well it fishes but how good it feels to fish one.

Using lines like light PE fished the way we do here, how it feels to you is most important..

On that note, on US sites, anglers rave about the sensitivity of the Loomis NRX series. Has anyone fished one?
Yes I have fished several NRX rods. Extensively. What was your query about?
Old 13-02-2015, 02:51 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bait Caster View Post
Yes I have fished several NRX rods. Extensively. What was your query about?
Balance, sensitively and are they a true step up from GLX?
Old 13-02-2015, 04:03 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Megabass have never made the "best" fishing rods on the market. Certainly made the sexiest though. They do make some damn fine rods though. I've tried a lot of them... Martin explained it well it's not always about having the absolute best tech availible. There's just something about MB rods. It's like a addiction.

Anyway I've moved onto another Jap rod brand these days...
Old 13-02-2015, 08:07 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Lo View Post
Balance, sensitively and are they a true step up from GLX?
Balance of the NRX is very similar to the GLX range.It's too hard a question to answer given the vast array of the two series of rods. However like for like, eg the NRX852 and the GLX852 with a TD Sol mounted balance is within a couple of millimetres of each other (measured over a finger, so not ultra accurate) and aqbout 65-70mm from the centre of the reel foot. The NRX being the closer of the two. With regards to sensitivity and being a step up from GLX to NRX, such things are too subjective to properly quantify. In my hands, yes definitely. Until someone comes up with a true gauge for testing sensitivity, we are all at the hands of people who are trying to sell us something or justify their choice of gear. The results stated are for earlier generations of both series as I have not as yet tried the new GLX or the latest NRX rods. The NRX852 is also, on my kitchen scale approximately 30g lighter.
Old 13-02-2015, 08:28 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bait Caster View Post
Balance of the NRX is very similar to the GLX range.It's too hard a question to answer given the vast array of the two series of rods. However like for like, eg the NRX852 and the GLX852 with a TD Sol mounted balance is within a couple of millimetres of each other (measured over a finger, so not ultra accurate) and aqbout 65-70mm from the centre of the reel foot. The NRX being the closer of the two. With regards to sensitivity and being a step up from GLX to NRX, such things are too subjective to properly quantify. In my hands, yes definitely. Until someone comes up with a true gauge for testing sensitivity, we are all at the hands of people who are trying to sell us something or justify their choice of gear. The results stated are for earlier generations of both series as I have not as yet tried the new GLX or the latest NRX rods. The NRX852 is also, on my kitchen scale approximately 30g lighter.
30g whilst maintaining the same balance point is impressive. A unit of measure of sensitivity does exist. But it's limited it to optimising designs rather than used as a marketing figure.
Old 13-02-2015, 10:24 AM
Poddy Bream

Any thoughts on why this unit of measure of sensitivity could not be used to market or, at least, provide a standard to quantify?
Old 13-02-2015, 11:48 AM
Blue Lip

I love the look of edge rods if the EDGES didn't cost as much as they do and were in a more acceptable price bracket I'd be very tempted to buy one even one with recoils I've never extensively fished a rod with recoils but have had little goes with them they definitely give the whole rod a different feel and lightness. I wouldnt be surprised if the statements regarding extra sensitivity are true.
Old 13-02-2015, 01:09 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor View Post
Any thoughts on why this unit of measure of sensitivity could not be used to market or, at least, provide a standard to quantify?
Currently I have the pleasure of dealing with 2 esteemed anglers that understands such quantification, enjoys both the details and concept in design and methods we use to quantify. Both wanted zero compromise and like to see it verified. Better yet, with constraints to material costs and a healthy fixed operating margin I suppose those numbers are as much part of the product as the rod itself.

Considering individual parts of any rod are not difficult to acquire, I suppose the value is in the reasons and methods of a design.

Unfortunately designs like that makes very little business sense as a factory rod.
Production money for these rods would be better spent improving quality control rather than changing out recoils. I'm sure the customer bawe would appreciate that much more.
Old 13-02-2015, 02:06 PM
Poddy Bream

Are you preparing for a career in politics? Simple questions need simple answers.

Now, I understand the economics of building production rods. Why would a top tier builder use guides that have such a pathetic reputation? Cost is the answer. Profit is all about the delta between cost and price. It is that simple.

Put this into your thinking. If a production rod company did have an easy to understand and credible measure of sensitivity, they could assign a measure of sensitivity to every rod and provide one more method of differentiating price points. I know why none of the big manufacturers are willing to do this very thing but think how much easier it would be for them to justify their prices without the marketing hype of new cores, materials and resins.
Old 13-02-2015, 02:26 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfinfisho View Post
I love the look of edge rods. Have had little goes with them they definitely give the whole rod a different feel and lightness. I wouldnt be surprised if the statements regarding extra sensitivity are true.
The carbon fiber grips, combined with the recoils truly does make for one hell of a sensitive rod!
Old 13-02-2015, 07:43 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor View Post
Are you preparing for a career in politics? Simple questions need simple answers.

Now, I understand the economics of building production rods. Why would a top tier builder use guides that have such a pathetic reputation? Cost is the answer. Profit is all about the delta between cost and price. It is that simple.

Put this into your thinking. If a production rod company did have an easy to understand and credible measure of sensitivity, they could assign a measure of sensitivity to every rod and provide one more method of differentiating price points. I know why none of the big manufacturers are willing to do this very thing but think how much easier it would be for them to justify their prices without the marketing hype of new cores, materials and resins.
X2
Old 13-02-2015, 08:04 PM
Blue Lip

Ha snap

I think I'd rather read fifty shades of grey than anymore of this rod nonsense tbh

Jesus

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: