Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Old 14-01-2019, 09:07 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Who's used the most different types of braid?

When I find a mediocre thing - I tend to stick to it

So I dont chop and change my tackle alot.

Heres a list of bream weight Braids I've tried in chronological order and the approximate amount of time I used them for. (these are on my most often used reel at the time)

Standard Fireline - 3 years
That Blue Shimano braid (titanium I think) - 6 months
That Orange Bass Hard - 2 weeks
Fireline Crystal - 6 years
Sunline Super PE - 1 year
Fireline Crystal - 2 years
Kast King 4 strand - 1 year and counting.......

Feel free to add your list
Old 15-01-2019, 11:08 AM
Mature Bream

in the 7 years or so that I’ve been more serious about breaming I don’t think I’ve used any braid type twice until this last December. I’ve tried to diversify over the years just to try and find myself a ‘favourite’ braid. So far I’ve used:

Fireline 6lb - 2 years
Berkeley nanofil 6lb - 6 months
Shimano power pro 6lb - 6 months
Sunline super pe 8lb - 7 years minimum*
Toray something (maybe an egi braid like aorika) in 6lb - 4 years*
Unitika multi coloured 12lb - 4 years*
Sunline castaway 10lb - 6 months*
Varivas sea bass tracer pe 0.8 16.7lb - 1 month*

* denotes ongoing use

Slowly I moved towards Japanese braids in the pe 0.6 to 0.8 range and just sought the greater breaking strains within those diameter classes. Have also found that bright green is my favourite braid colour for all light conditions based just on visibility grounds.
Old 15-01-2019, 08:52 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ BRIBIE View Post
in the 7 years or so that I’ve been more serious about breaming I don’t think I’ve used any braid type twice until this last December. I’ve tried to diversify over the years just to try and find myself a ‘favourite’ braid. So far I’ve used:

Fireline 6lb - 2 years
Berkeley nanofil 6lb - 6 months
Shimano power pro 6lb - 6 months
Sunline super pe 8lb - 7 years minimum*
Toray something (maybe an egi braid like aorika) in 6lb - 4 years*
Unitika multi coloured 12lb - 4 years*
Sunline castaway 10lb - 6 months*
Varivas sea bass tracer pe 0.8 16.7lb - 1 month*

* denotes ongoing use

Slowly I moved towards Japanese braids in the pe 0.6 to 0.8 range and just sought the greater breaking strains within those diameter classes. Have also found that bright green is my favourite braid colour for all light conditions based just on visibility grounds.
Ahh I forgot I'd used nanofil - from recollection it was just fireline that used to be rated at 4lb and the relabelled to say it was 6lb so they could say it had a thinner diameter
Old 16-01-2019, 12:11 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
Ahh I forgot I'd used nanofil - from recollection it was just fireline that used to be rated at 4lb and the relabelled to say it was 6lb so they could say it had a thinner diameter
I just remember its thickness being measured in inches so it always sounded waayyyyyyy small! it was like 0.0022 inches or something
Old 17-01-2019, 03:05 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ BRIBIE View Post
I just remember its thickness being measured in inches so it always sounded waayyyyyyy small! it was like 0.0022 inches or something
Ahh is that what it was - I remember buying it thinking its breaking strain would be rated the same as fireline - it snapped so easy I looked up some independent test done by Paulus and found it snapped much lower than fireline of the same stated breaking strain
Old 17-01-2019, 05:31 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
Ahh is that what it was - I remember buying it thinking its breaking strain would be rated the same as fireline - it snapped so easy I looked up some independent test done by Paulus and found it snapped much lower than fireline of the same stated breaking strain
I think that was the exact reason I switched back off of it. I would have liked to have tried SAS Braid or Tasline years ago but never had a good enough reason to throw away the fluro pink fireline I started with
Old 17-01-2019, 08:05 PM
Blue Lip

Have used:
-Sunline Super PE (Ok for the money, tangled easy)
-Unitika Aorika 2 (Good line but not a smooth surface noisy through Recoils and if there were tangles was hard to undo)
-Sunline Castaway (Good line, as its IGFA would break at or below stated strength, not the smoothest line nor was it that thin for stated strength)
-Powerpro Green & Red (Coily only have it on my Bait reels)
-Fireline (Coily)
-J Braid 8 (Coily to start until you wear it in, I havent bothered to wear it in haha)
- Megabass Dragoncall 8 - Super smooth, great strength V Diameter(PE),knots usually undo easy, made me love my TSR's again(no noise through recoils) best line ive used.
- Toray seabass powergame- same as Dragon Call 8
Old 17-01-2019, 11:44 PM
Big Bream

i havent used that many.

Aldi braid - was good at the time, wouldnt use again unless on bait reels etc

sunline super PE (8lb) - dont mind it

Daiwa Td sensor (8lb) - good line

Daiwa Morethan 8 strand - still using, but not that keen on it so far (fades very quick)

Daiwa Shinboi (30lb) - decent line, currently on 4xsnapper bait outfits (also glows in uv light)

Daiwa J braid (6lb) - ok line and enough for an all round combo to get by

Daiwa J braid Multicolour (PE4, 5) - on my game outfits which i rarely use, seems to be ok

Rovex D8 Depth finder (PE4) - OK braid, used on another gamefishing outfit where i dont care about sensitivity

Gsoul X8 - not keen on it, kept snapping at the fg knot everytime i snagged, otherwise ok line

Megabass dragoncall (orange) - nice line But not very thin, glows under UV and makes a loud noise through the guides (i dont mind the noise though)

Duel Hardcore X8 - still using, so far so good in the 1 month ive had it

Varivas Avani Milky - Ok /good braid, but i found it broke easily..

Gosen Egi Fire - good braid, but i got a lot of wind knots with it, but that could have been my mistakes earlier on in fishing life

WTF gliss - very good and quiet braid, but very easily damaged..

out of all the lines ive used the dragoncall (orange) was the loudest, does anyone know why??? it did feel a lot stiffer as well..
Old 18-01-2019, 02:15 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Thanks for the big effort fellas - I like the mini reviews aswell - I should have done that
Old 18-01-2019, 02:56 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

I should first state that price is very is an important factor for me so I tend to be critical of expensive gear with big reputations. I also use 125 yard topshots so it only takes a couple of wind knots before I replace it

Standard Fireline - 3 years - it coils but its well behaved in relation to windknots - strong but can attract debris when it gets fluffy.

That Blue Shimano braid (titanium I think) - 6 months - had no real problem with it but I got a couple of windknots that wouldnt come out and the top shot got too short

That Orange Bass Hard - 2 weeks - was a gift - nice and limp but it was wind knot city - I ended up ripping off the remainder in a fit of rage

Fireline Crystal - 6 years - Ahh sweet sweet crystal - thin diametre and very strong but it coils and is very slippery when new, which can make tying FG's a night mare

Sunline Super PE - 1 year - good line - no major hassles - but I found a cheap source of fireline crystal towards the end of its life - good for fg knots

Fireline Crystal - 2 years - will always probably be my fall back line due to its strength for diametre - longevity - and due to its stiffness, its well behaved. But it isnt great for detecting subtle bights in deep water, due to its coiling nature

Kast King 4 strand - 1 year and counting....... - cheapest I've ever used - I cant top shot a reel for about $3 - its super limp - no coiling - the knots break at the lure when 8lb kast king is FG'd to 8lb vanish leader - and that all I need it to do - its pretty thin to.

Over the years - Fishing slow with finesse isnt something I've done heaps of (or was ever very good at) - I prefer fast paced types of fishing like hardbodys along the banks - so limp lines that were great at showing tiny bights werent a huge concern for alot of my fishing

So thats why Fireline is an old favourite - it has its faults but its relatively cheap and it can out last some of the more expensive braids - but when I do watch my line like a hawk. - I prefer the limper braids.

Last edited by yellow door 1; 18-01-2019 at 03:06 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: