Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Getting Started

Getting Started If you’re new to the Sport then this is the forum for you.

Old 19-03-2013, 05:11 AM
Mature Bream

About to buy Maui Jims

Hey there.
I'm going to be buying a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses soon and I was wondering if anyone who has them can shed some light on which style they chose? The local glasses store can do a sample order of a few styles for me to try and then I can decide if I do or don't like the ones I have picked out.

My fear is paying full RRP for them which is something I tend to never do on anything. I noticed there is a particular website which has them somewhat cheaper. If possible I would still prefer to give my money to a store in Australia to keep the everyone happy!

I forgot to mention I am going to go for the brown lens because that is better in the majority of situations. And I want to see more in freshwater than Saltwater for most of my fishing!

Last edited by crunk; 19-03-2013 at 05:13 AM.
Old 19-03-2013, 05:38 AM
Mature Bream

I have a pair of long boards I got in jan and they are the best glasses I have ever worn. Don't stress like I did if u r looking at the lenses and it looks like they have a darker bar in the middle and the top and bottom are more reflective turns out there ment got be that way. (Felt like a dickhead taking them back saying there wer faulty).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (213.4 KB, 357 views)
Leviticus 19:27

Pb- 39ttt Zman grub in motor oil.
Old 19-03-2013, 07:25 AM
Mature Bream

Cheers hooched for the detailed reply. Will see how I go trying them on in a store!
Old 19-03-2013, 08:11 AM
Blue Lip

my mate (tom kiwiangler) has a pair he got them about 3 months back he's very happy with them and from what i can see they are awesome glasses his got a light brown/ amber lense and they are ideal for fresh water but will work well for bream etc too. I've worn them a little while trout fishing and I thought they were very clear and crisp, cut the glare very well but the thing I love about them the most is how comfortable the frame is they really wrap around your head and you can hardy feel them which is nice.
Old 19-03-2013, 08:28 AM
Big Bream

I have the stingrays for the last 5yrs and couldn't be happier. Great lens with awesome clarity. Fishing, driving, whatever, I don't go outdoors without them.
Old 19-03-2013, 09:02 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka-T View Post
I have the stingrays for the last 5yrs and couldn't be happier. Great lens with awesome clarity. Fishing, driving, whatever, I don't go outdoors without them.
+1 for the stingrays and amber lens, absolutely love mine. Had spotters before these and as much as I like them at the time will never go back.
And if you think they are expensive think yourself lucky you don't have to get prescription lenses ( lucky I have private health cover)
Old 19-03-2013, 05:53 PM
Banned

I have the Kapalua's with the bronze lenses, love them. i forget i'm wearing them within minutes of putting them on, and they are super clear. cant reccomend them highly enough
Old 19-03-2013, 09:21 PM
Administrator

I have Mauis and they are good, but after using Tonics there will be no going back.

Do yourself a favour and at least check the Tonics out before you buy your Mauis, you might be very glad you did!

Ian.
Old 22-03-2013, 02:02 AM
Mature Bream

Terribly sorry for the long reply everyone.
Thank you very much for sharing which designs you all chose.

I have just worn tonics today when fishing with a friend. It was a brown lens fishing freshwater for trout. They were very good. Also wore them for a bit driving home. I am not saying they are better than maui jim's as I have not worn them outside only inside in a shop.

I am wondering now...
The friend I was fishing with today can get the Tonic's ridiculously cheap for me so that honestly is making me sway unless I can find out facts for the lens comparison itself.

"How do Maui Jim compare to Tonic?"
Old 22-03-2013, 04:17 AM
Administrator

I can not give you a technical comparison, but I have often worn both on the same day trying to pick which are the better lenses.

I rate the Mauis as very comfortable lenses to look through however the Tonics are very crisp, bright and clear to look through. As far as lenses go they are pretty close to each other. The other bonus for the Tonics is that they are slightly lighter in weight.
Old 22-03-2013, 04:36 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sewell View Post
I can not give you a technical comparison, but I have often worn both on the same day trying to pick which are the better lenses.

I rate the Mauis as very comfortable lenses to look through however the Tonics are very crisp, bright and clear to look through. As far as lenses go they are pretty close to each other. The other bonus for the Tonics is that they are slightly lighter in weight.
Hmm, polycarbonate weight comparison or glass?
Old 22-03-2013, 04:50 AM
Blue Lip

At one of the Bream Classics there was a Tonic stand and a few availble to try out ,they were amazing i was gobsmacked actually .

Have tried Spotters, rate Tonics better,,never tried Maui Jims.

Good luck with your choice.
Old 22-03-2013, 04:53 AM
Big Bream

Have always had spotters and still rate them very highly but recently bought a pair of costa del mar in the 580 green lenses , very light in weight feel great on the face and can wear them fishing and driving all day long,got mine from the states but was very happy with them,awesome for sight fishing and everything else but trying to find anyplace to try them on as I'm in Perth I couldn't find anywhere so it was a bit of a gamble but very happy I did
Old 22-03-2013, 05:15 AM
Administrator

Tonics were glass and Mauis are glass also.

Tonics are lighter.
Old 22-03-2013, 06:25 AM
Big Bream

I've read a proper, scientific study an comparison of polarised glass lenses... It was done by an impartial sailing magazine. Costa Del Mar lenses were rates the best, then Maui Jim's. however, none of the smaller Australian brands were compared. To be safe, make sure the lenses are engineered in Japan. Having tried many brands, I am very very happy with my copper, glass 580 costa del mae lenses... I'd like a pair of the low light Maui jim's, which have quite am amazing clarity. My glass costa's have been to hell and back:!they are truly tough and shatter proof! If you talk to an optometrist in Australia, you will find that most would buy Maui Jim's for polarised glass lenses. Did an optometrist that stocks sereral quality brands and try them all for yourself! (Sorry about any iPhone auto-editing...)

http://landbasedbarramundi.blogspot.com.au/