Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Rods

Rods Get the goss on what’s hot, and what’s not...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-04-2014, 09:09 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by manno View Post
Hooked on bait n tackle mate. Hoppers crossing. From memory they had the 702-2, the DSR, a couple of the 6'6" two pieces and maybe something else. Shannon was really helpful and loaded em all up for me.
this could be the first time Shannon ( shazza ) has been really useful ha ha jokes

Fish Tec Solutions

http://www.fish-tecsolutions.com/
Old 07-04-2014, 09:13 PM
Blue Lip

Ive not once had any issues with the recoils on my edge ... I had issues but that was a shimming up issue . Once i did that havent had an issue since ..

The friction on the recoils hasnt been an issue either .. Ive ran Toray 4lb straight through over it all day , and also ran Toray Radius PE1 over my 707-2FW and again no issues ...

Mines a full recoil rod , my next one might get the stripper done in a K just to make a decent comparison between the two ..

Fish Tec Solutions

http://www.fish-tecsolutions.com/
Old 07-04-2014, 10:49 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobymcclure View Post
Ive not once had any issues with the recoils on my edge ... I had issues but that was a shimming up issue . Once i did that havent had an issue since ..

The friction on the recoils hasnt been an issue either .. Ive ran Toray 4lb straight through over it all day , and also ran Toray Radius PE1 over my 707-2FW and again no issues ...

Mines a full recoil rod , my next one might get the stripper done in a K just to make a decent comparison between the two ..
I've never had a problem with the ones i've used either. i've ran toray radius, toray super strong pe, toray jigging braid and sunline super pe with no worries!
Old 07-04-2014, 10:56 PM
Blue Lip

Shimming up? What do you mean?

Hahaha! Shannon was good mate, i rocked up hobbling, swinging a pair of crutches and he was happy for me to stuff around with the rods giving them the usual wiggle-test and then he loaded em right up. Still get a tingle remembering the way that 702 locked up when he REALLY put his weight into it.

The recoils are probably fine, he wouldnt use em on his rods if they were shite. Just better options imho.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:14 AM
Blue Lip

I would have thought recoils give less line friction due to their smaller surface area and harder compound material ie titanium
Old 08-04-2014, 07:40 AM
Big Bream

Hi

Some interesting points and some very valid ones - i will shed a bit more light on the reason for the EDGE RODS build and some of the why's and why nots- and why they have chosen recoils and the carbon fiber grips. I am sure that there will be arguments for and against for what i write here but I am simply explaining the reason why and how we have come to the end product that is now available to the Australian Public , We have spent countless hours discussing these builds with the guys from EDGE including the man himself ''Gary Loomis'.
EDGE'S main focus was to build a rod that would offer the fisherman the very best possible performance. The goal was to take the best components that they could make, namely a high modulus graphite blank, super sensitive grip , and sensitive guides -put them together to offer the angler something special. Their goal wasn't to make a super extreme casting rod (although there is absolutely nothing wrong with the way the rods cast) their ideal was to make a benchmark rod that other companies would strive to emulate as they did with Loomis many years ago. They want an angler to pick up and edge rod and go wow! And once they have fished with the rod - to understand why !

The reasoning behind the recoils is sensitivity and feel. Yes they are light and yes they dont detract from the action of the blank in any way. You can argue that a sic guide will do they same but unfortunately this is not the case. I know this for a fact because the first sample rods we ordered were built in two variations. One range with cork and sic componentry and the other ones with recoils and carbon fibre grips. We did this at our own cost because we wanted to physically see and more importantly feel the difference between the EXACT same blanks with the two different builds.

The difference was unbelievable. The std EDGE build with the recoils and carbon fibre grips left the other rods for dead, YES -the rods with sics did cast well and were silky smooth BUT you lost a huge amount of the sensitivity. I saw this first hand because I fished ALL of the samples in a host of builds in both spin and baitcast and every rod was the same. When you ran the braid over the recoils the feeling was transferred through the guides into the grip and straight into your hand. With the SIC guides it stopped at the guides period. Now you may argue that this is simply not the case - well unfortunately it is. All the rods were build with top of the range componentry so at no stage could we say that the sics were of a lower standard. This exercise was not only unique to the EDGE Rods because we did exactly the same exercise with the Loomis rods. I was a Loomis pro angler for 5 years and we took a DSR 820 dropshot GLX stripped the recoils off it and replaced them with sic guides and a split butt. When we showed this rod to several other fishos the comment was -its just like a DSR 820 and after they fished it - but just not as sensitive.

EDGE have been through all this and the same arguments have come up in each country that they distribute their rods to because they are a something different to the norm -BUT when you try and argue any of these points with someone like Gary Loomis who has been designing rods and building them almost as long as I have been alive its a bit hard to say hey I know better

We do however leave in a country that uses braid for 90% of their fishing and due to this fact we are looking at adding a sic titanium stripper and tip to some of the rods to give the anglers that bit of added reassurance.

They are something special and with all our other gear we used them on our Australian fisheries for over 6 months first before any were released to the stores. When you pick one up for the first time you will understand why

Regards

Old 08-04-2014, 07:58 AM
Blue Lip

Lets see some pics of these bad boys!
Old 08-04-2014, 08:00 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-Tec View Post
Hi

Some interesting points and some very valid ones - i will shed a bit more light on the reason for the EDGE RODS build and some of the why's and why nots- and why they have chosen recoils and the carbon fiber grips. I am sure that there will be arguments for and against for what i write here but I am simply explaining the reason why and how we have come to the end product that is now available to the Australian Public , We have spent countless hours discussing these builds with the guys from EDGE including the man himself ''Gary Loomis'.
EDGE'S main focus was to build a rod that would offer the fisherman the very best possible performance. The goal was to take the best components that they could make, namely a high modulus graphite blank, super sensitive grip , and sensitive guides -put them together to offer the angler something special. Their goal wasn't to make a super extreme casting rod (although there is absolutely nothing wrong with the way the rods cast) their ideal was to make a benchmark rod that other companies would strive to emulate as they did with Loomis many years ago. They want an angler to pick up and edge rod and go wow! And once they have fished with the rod - to understand why !

The reasoning behind the recoils is sensitivity and feel. Yes they are light and yes they dont detract from the action of the blank in any way. You can argue that a sic guide will do they same but unfortunately this is not the case. I know this for a fact because the first sample rods we ordered were built in two variations. One range with cork and sic componentry and the other ones with recoils and carbon fibre grips. We did this at our own cost because we wanted to physically see and more importantly feel the difference between the EXACT same blanks with the two different builds.

The difference was unbelievable. The std EDGE build with the recoils and carbon fibre grips left the other rods for dead, YES -the rods with sics did cast well and were silky smooth BUT you lost a huge amount of the sensitivity. I saw this first hand because I fished ALL of the samples in a host of builds in both spin and baitcast and every rod was the same. When you ran the braid over the recoils the feeling was transferred through the guides into the grip and straight into your hand. With the SIC guides it stopped at the guides period. Now you may argue that this is simply not the case - well unfortunately it is. All the rods were build with top of the range componentry so at no stage could we say that the sics were of a lower standard. This exercise was not only unique to the EDGE Rods because we did exactly the same exercise with the Loomis rods. I was a Loomis pro angler for 5 years and we took a DSR 820 dropshot GLX stripped the recoils off it and replaced them with sic guides and a split butt. When we showed this rod to several other fishos the comment was -its just like a DSR 820 and after they fished it - but just not as sensitive.

EDGE have been through all this and the same arguments have come up in each country that they distribute their rods to because they are a something different to the norm -BUT when you try and argue any of these points with someone like Gary Loomis who has been designing rods and building them almost as long as I have been alive its a bit hard to say hey I know better

We do however leave in a country that uses braid for 90% of their fishing and due to this fact we are looking at adding a sic titanium stripper and tip to some of the rods to give the anglers that bit of added reassurance.

They are something special and with all our other gear we used them on our Australian fisheries for over 6 months first before any were released to the stores. When you pick one up for the first time you will understand why

Regards
awesome write up rod. Unbelievably helpful.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:08 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by cod_botherer View Post
awesome write up rod. Unbelievably helpful.
Not very helpfull if your trying to avoid spending $750!!
Old 08-04-2014, 08:15 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by manno View Post
Not very helpfull if your trying to avoid spending $750!!
haha! i can assure you they are worth every cent!!
Old 08-04-2014, 10:09 PM
Big Bream

Baitcaster
Attached Images
File Type: jpg edge1 (600x800).jpg (257.9 KB, 437 views)
File Type: jpg edge2 (594x800).jpg (418.5 KB, 441 views)

Old 08-04-2014, 10:11 PM
Big Bream

spin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg edge 4.JPG (136.4 KB, 439 views)

Old 09-04-2014, 12:09 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-Tec View Post
Hi

Regards
if recoils are so much better why are there Tit SiC K's on the baitcasters??..

firstly, i respect you and your opinion but i do not agree with some of your comments above.

how can we qauntify a subjective characteristic like sensitivity? its not possible. you need to qauntify the factors that will increase sensitivity to compare between products.
if we take rods for example, company A may claim their blank is more sensitive over company B but the only way they can back up their claim is listing what materials the blanks were made from and how, i.e. high mod vs low mod.
so if we relate it back to the guides, what makes you 'feel' like recoils are more sensitive? they are not lighter than a KR concept guides or microwave set up, they are not rigid like the others, they have larger ring sizes and are not polished to the same smoothness factor either. recoils are simply not as smooth as torzite or SiC or alconite. that is why you can 'feel' the line running through. take a brick and a polished tile, pull a rope over both. you will feel the abrasive brick more. does that in turn relate to increased sensitivity due to the fact you can feel something?

i think it comes down to price point more than anything else. thats evident with the US edge rods that run titanium sics on the baitcasters. high frame titSiCs for spinning rods cost 4 times as much a semi-micros do for a baitcaster. performance at a reasonable price because well an extra 150 on a 750 rod for titSiC will scare people

Gary is a wise man, hes follwed the rod building communitys push for spiral wrapped rods so im sure he is aware of the benifits of the rapid choke guides.

just my 0.02c
Old 09-04-2014, 12:32 AM
Blue Lip

What about carbon fibre guides? If it's all about performance were they considered? Nice looking rods, like the carbon fibre grips to.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:19 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
What about carbon fibre guides? If it's all about performance were they considered? Nice looking rods, like the carbon fibre grips to.
Not until Daiwa cough up the rights to fuji. Whch ive been told will be soon enough.....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: