Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Boats > Motors

Motors Get the low down on which outboards perform best…

Old 20-09-2013, 05:17 PM
Fingerling

10 or 15 HP?

Hi guys
I'm a new to owning a tinnie. I recently got a 12" with an old 6hp Johnson.
I was looking at upgrading to a 10 to 15hp but didn't know if there was much difference. I don't have a big bugget and looking to spend $1k so 2nd is the go. Any suggestion and things to stay away from like brands or year models.
Thanks for any input.
Old 20-09-2013, 06:51 PM
Mature Bream

Good day G... I was looking for a 2nd hand motor 10-15HP as well. Tohatsu look like a winning scenario for me 9.8HP and saw one on Gumtree around $1K . Havent got the cash for it yet...so I have to wait a little more. Currently I am running 5HP Tohatsu and the little motor is a dream...read a couple review on the 9.8HP...everything sound good...Made in JP and all. The only problem with them is that they are a little dirty for the environment. Two stroke oil ratio is 50:1.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/annan...rd-/1028021734

Last edited by Gofishing; 20-09-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old 20-09-2013, 07:41 PM
Big Bream

Most of the common two stroke motors that are available use the same basic engine for both their 10hp and 15hp models. They are the same weight as each other, therefore, by going for the 15hp, you are getting a faster, more powerful engine with no added weight penalty. I think that's worth the little extra that you will pay for it.

Personally, I would only consider buying a 10hp if the deal was too good to pass up.

The same thing usually applies with 6hp and 8hp motors too, particularly in 2 stroke engines. I would always opt for the 8hp for the reasons above.
Old 23-09-2013, 05:50 AM
Fingerling

Hi guys thanks for the feed back. I might try and hold out for the 15hp.
Old 23-09-2013, 09:06 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by GODzilla View Post
Hi guys
I'm a new to owning a tinnie. I recently got a 12" with an old 6hp Johnson.
I was looking at upgrading to a 10 to 15hp but didn't know if there was much difference. I don't have a big bugget and looking to spend $1k so 2nd is the go. Any suggestion and things to stay away from like brands or year models.
Thanks for any input.
Look at the specs for the motors - especially the weight. As said in some of the other replies some manufacturers use the same body for the 10 and the 15.

But check the hull rating and make sure your hull is rated to 15hp otherwise you may not be able to get insurance. May not bother you but it is something to consider.

Crusty
Old 24-09-2013, 09:50 PM
Fingerling

Godzilla,
As a rule always put on the max hp the boat will allow to run,( & budget allows) . We fisherman like our tackle , & with live wells ,eskys , rods & lures, this all adds to the weight of the boat. A smaller motor may still work to get you around, but you may be flogging it. A more powerful outboard will work far less stressed ,& probably more efficiently as well.
Mojon
Old 25-09-2013, 06:14 AM
Fingerling

Thanks for the tip.

Just wondering if you had a chance to buy a brand new China made motor vs an older branded motor like mercury/Johnson for the same price which would you guys go for?
Old 25-09-2013, 07:22 AM
Big Bream

I had a 15 on a ten footer and it smoked. The mechanic here told me the only dif between a 10 and a 15 was the carby.
Old 25-09-2013, 09:00 AM
Mature Bream

I've been told the same as OldBarBoy, quite often there are a range of HP that are all the same basic motor with different carbs/bore/stroke etc to produce different HP- definitely worth checking with an outboard mechanic for the best option in your price range. Whether a new Chinese or older big brand motor is your best option a good unbiased mechanic might be the best to ask for that too! Good luck, it is an exciting but expensive process choosing a motor but it can turn an old boat into a beast..
Old 27-09-2013, 03:48 AM
Fingerling

Most engine manufactures will make a stock engine and either derate, for example a 15hp will be de-rated to a 9.9hp by a restrictor gasket minimizing air flow or in other cases carburettor jets may be changed to increase or decrease horsepower. The bore and piston displacement remains the same meaning it is the same engine lowering production cost and gaining an extra horsepower range.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:45 AM
Poddy Bream

Changed up from 9.9 to 15 my experience's

If hull is rated to take the 15hp I would go the 15. Last year I made the change from a 9.9hp US version Mercury to a 15hp Mercury super. You will notice the difference when you have two people in the boat with gear. My hull is a Savage Gull 355 fitted with a light false floor and a small casting deck up front, electric motor up front a battery. It wouldn't get up on plane with two on board with the 9.9 but with the 15 it does it easy. As for top speed with one on-board I would get 34kph but with 9.9 but with the 15 I top out at 39kph. So if your looking for speed not much difference but power to get on plane you will notice a huge difference with the 15. As for the motors I could of changed my old US version 9.9 to a 15 but it was going to cost me around $700 to do it so decided to sell it and buy a new one. Needed to change carby and the exhaust tube running down the leg. As far as my old 1999 model US version to the Super 2012 model (Re badged Tohatsu) I would go the old US version it ran a lot smoother but was a little heavier on the fuel. Far better motor had no Issues with it for the 12 years I owned it no corrosion and was like new and it's still going strong for the new owner. As for the new one its junk after 15 hours needed a new head gasket the paint was lifting off cylinder head and barrel and on some other places waited a week to get new head gasket and repainted in original mercury paint. And it's all coming off again.

Aussiematrix

Last edited by aussiematrix; 02-10-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:55 AM
Poddy Bream

Going back about 10 years or so, I was talking to a (Tohatsu Authorised) outboard mechanic who at the time said that only major difference between the 15HP and 9.9HP 2 stroke Tohatsu was that their 9.9 HP had a larger "stopper" on the throttle in the tiller handle, thus restricting the performance by not allowing you to twist the throttle around as far as you could on the 15HP..

Not sure how true it was, or if it is true for other manufacturers, but it would not be hard to check with the 9.9 and 15 sitting side by side in a boat shop..

It may be worth looking into?

Growing old is inevitable.. Growing up is optional..