Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Rods

Rods Get the goss on what’s hot, and what’s not...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 14-06-2011, 05:49 AM
Blue Lip

What is it about the SAMURAI?

I've noticed that LOTS of people are getting the Samurai rods. Hell I've wanted one for a while. They look good, they've got good components and apparently good blanks too. What has me stumped is just how many people are getting them. Not so long ago they were mainly with the serious tackle junkies and tournament guys, now every second breamer has one. Did the $50 price drop make them that much more affordable? What happened to the times when you gradually moved up to the better gear? I've heard of guys jumping from $100 rods to them. Not complaining (except I wont be as cool when I get one :P), just curious.
Old 14-06-2011, 05:56 AM
Big Bream

Get a custom build rod mate, they will sh*t all-over the samurais and make you look cooler aswell, haha.
Old 14-06-2011, 06:22 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bream2nv View Post
Get a custom build rod mate, they will sh*t all-over the samurais and make you look cooler aswell, haha.
Hard to get a custom with the same level of components/blank for less than $450 but I would if I could.

Also I've heard rumours of 2pc versions of the 201 and 203 coming out. Any more news? Also which has the stiffest tip out of all the bream models?
Cheers guys.
Old 14-06-2011, 06:37 AM
Blue Lip

Never used the 101. But the 201 is designed primarily for plastics super fast taper, whippy in the tip for little flicks etc.. I found that the tip would fold away before moving most hb's. And the 203 primarily for hb a bit stiffer in the tip.
And as for customs crapping on samurais, I highly doubt it, they may or may not be better but crap on them is a fairly large statement to make.
Old 14-06-2011, 06:56 AM
Blue Lip

The other big thing to remember is that hey have the 30% replacement warranty, like G Loomis used to have before Shimano took them over. I think the quality of the blanks is very good and had a 203 custom built be hotrods before he vaporised . Nice rod a bit sofrt for me and will be getting a 201 as some point for my HB's fishing.
Dale.
Old 14-06-2011, 07:02 AM
Blue Lip

They have a cool name
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxrally View Post
The other big thing to remember is that hey have the 30% replacement warranty, like G Loomis used to have before Shimano took them over. I think the quality of the blanks is very good and had a 203 custom built be hotrods before he vaporised . Nice rod a bit sofrt for me and will be getting a 201 as some point for my HB's fishing.
Dale.
Yeah I really like the sound of that warranty. Wish I had got a hotrod before he went awol. I prefer stiffer rods too, got a Luvias for the plastics but most of my fishing is with HB's thanks to Perth's iconic blowfish
So can anyone report on the 101? Would really fit what I'm looking for if it is fairly stiff in the tip. Cheers.
Big Bream

To sum it up in one word.........Quality !!!
Old 14-06-2011, 07:31 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
Never used the 101. But the 201 is designed primarily for plastics super fast taper, whippy in the tip for little flicks etc.. I found that the tip would fold away before moving most hb's. And the 203 primarily for hb a bit stiffer in the tip.
And as for customs crapping on samurais, I highly doubt it, they may or may not be better but crap on them is a fairly large statement to make.
I love my 201 for hardbodies, great little rod!

Cheers
Old 14-06-2011, 07:43 AM
Blue Lip

after reading these posts i think ill have to get one Ive alrady got a lox but im thinking of saving up and going for somthing "special". Not a bad word said about them.
Old 14-06-2011, 08:14 PM
Mature Bream

I have the 101, 201, 203 and 251(baitcast). The 201 I use for blades and plastics and the 203 for hbs, teamed with Stradic 1000's, both bream outfits.
The other two I use for bass. The 101 I have teamed with a 1000 ci4 and the 251 with a cronarch 50, they are both so incredibly light.
My son has the 203 with a certate 2000 which he absolutley loves.
Love em all

Last edited by RINGSK; 14-06-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 24-10-2011, 07:28 AM
Poddy Bream

Hey guys,

Sorry to go against the grain here but ,
Samurai rods are just something the guys from frogglies get made up in china , they based them on some of the earlier popular bream rod actions Like G-loomis drop shot , Miller bream buster etc.
And then through there contacts at Fuji , they have added some of the latest trends in components to them.

Not a bad rod for the money I guess, but there are a lot more quality rods out there for the same money!!!!

The reason so many people are getting them is because of the marketing and PR behind these rods , there are some massive $$$ behind the marketing of these rods and in the end that is what your paying for.
Old 14-06-2011, 07:53 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo1 View Post
Hard to get a custom with the same level of components/blank for less than $450 but I would if I could.

Also I've heard rumours of 2pc versions of the 201 and 203 coming out. Any more news? Also which has the stiffest tip out of all the bream models?
Cheers guys.
I think the new models mentioned before have already come out now and are not really "2pc" as expected at first.

I saw their new heavier models are seperated just above the front grip, just like the Steez Chilli Dog, which are usually referred to seperated grip, 1.5pc, or whatever u like to call them....

I doubt Samurai would really release a "true 2pc" rod in that rating as it seems that they want to only make 1pc blank in this "higher end, light /bream series" in order to maximise the properties of the blanks. It is a bit disappointing, but you wouldn't expect Daiwa to bring out 2pc Steez rod either.
Old 14-06-2011, 08:16 AM
Mature Bream

from what i have seen in comparison of the older version and the new models
the differences are tangle free guides and the top of the butt above the reel seat is longer.
Old 14-06-2011, 08:27 AM
Blue Lip

Still dont know what is the difference between each model - keep hearing different answers. Even went into a fishing store where they stock them and asked but they didn't know???
In simple terms can someone please explain what is the difference with each blank. Which one is the firmist out of the 3 models? Cant say i am a fan of the camo grip.