Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Old 07-07-2019, 04:11 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Get your line on tight

I'm predominantly light line user - so I never really though about how much tension -"running the line through my fingers" while spooling - was putting on the line

I imagine its well under a kilo - but I havent tested it. But it is something I will be thinking about in the future on all reels.

If I'm going to be running 3kg of drag on an outfit - the line should be spooled on with 3kg of tension

Old 07-07-2019, 04:35 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

One issue I can see - is if you dont have a spooling machine - getting that sort of tension by winding line on with the reel might do some damage to the reels gears - because you never reel it on that tight while fighting a fish or retrieving a lure
Old 07-07-2019, 06:37 AM
Blue Lip

While most won't care - new reel - new line - new horizons mentality goes hand in hand - excitement over everything...

Most spool off a bulk spool under some high pressures and new gears & bearings get a good thrashing right out of the box so your right there.

While Pakula is a godly figure in the fishing world its hard to say what benefits spooling line on a spool at the same KG pressure your fishing your drag at will benefit anything more than spec or a new fad?

Spooling line off a spool holder with a decent spring and pump and wind will satisfy the need to lay the line on a spool to mitigate / minimise the chance of dig in under normal circumstances; and help minimise initial wear in time.

Now when fishing under IGFA rules and looking after your line it could be a massive benefit "fish vs no fish"... (I didn't watch the video so can't say further as I'm watching 'Last Action Hero' ).

Moving forward it's similar to these guys saying they tie two counterbalanced knots on their baitcaster spools to offset the knot weight during a cast as they can feel the tie on knot weight ��

Spool on the line with good tension and go fishing and enjoy it - less process and more simplicity is best - which means more enjoyment while fishing ��

Last edited by Slazmo; 07-07-2019 at 06:54 AM.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:11 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slazmo View Post
While most won't care - new reel - new line - new horizons mentality goes hand in hand - excitement over everything...

Most spool off a bulk spool under some high pressures and new gears & bearings get a good thrashing right out of the box so your right there.

While Pakula is a godly figure in the fishing world its hard to say what benefits spooling line on a spool at the same KG pressure your fishing your drag at will benefit anything more than spec or a new fad?

Spooling line off a spool holder with a decent spring and pump and wind will satisfy the need to lay the line on a spool to mitigate / minimise the chance of dig in under normal circumstances; and help minimise initial wear in time.

Now when fishing under IGFA rules and looking after your line it could be a massive benefit "fish vs no fish"... (I didn't watch the video so can't say further as I'm watching 'Last Action Hero' ).

Moving forward it's similar to these guys saying they tie two counterbalanced knots on their baitcaster spools to offset the knot weight during a cast as they can feel the tie on knot weight ��

Spool on the line with good tension and go fishing and enjoy it - less process and more simplicity is best - which means more enjoyment while fishing ��
Yeah I spose after a long cast and a deep drop - alot of the hard work will be undone, as far as bedding is concerned - because all that line will be brought back on the reel with far less tension.

I spose it might make more sense with the huge reels, heavy drag settings and sustained runs

Thanks for the reply Slaz - as always - it got me thinking
Old 07-07-2019, 07:37 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
Thanks for the reply Slaz - as always - it got me thinking
That's a dangerous thing to get you thinking... Once started who knows
Old 07-07-2019, 08:44 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
That's a dangerous thing to get you thinking... Once started who knows
I just dont think I was thinking hard enough before your reply

because Pakula was talking - I swallowed everything he said without question
Old 08-07-2019, 04:39 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

It was mentioned that running line through a book, is a good way to add tension to braid as you spool in onto your reel - so I had a crack

Ok so the results are in - results may differ depending on whose cook book you use��

Couldnt find any phone books, so I had to use a heavy cook book

With 8lb braid and no weight - dragging the line through took about 115g of pull
with a 4kg weight - about 320g
with 8kg weight - about 680g

with 40lb braid and no weight - about 240g
with 4kg of weight - about 660g
with 8kg of weight - abut 1kg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 530.jpg (136.1 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 08-07-2019 at 04:45 AM.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:42 AM
Blue Lip

A wet cotton rag is best to mitigate heat generation. Be interested to see what kind of pressure modulation you can get from a second person helping load the line - wet spool and the line through to the rag to shed any excess water and then onto the rod and reel.

I know you can do this yourself with the non winding hand to control the line further up the rod (usually near the stripper to avoid line profiling issues) and wind on with the required pressure needed.

Anyhow this is my preferred application especially whilst on my own.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:13 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Yeah I usually go with the wet braid over wet gloves.

Sometimes I go wet braid and bare fingers on bream reels

But I do like exploring other options
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 526.jpg (62.0 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 525.jpg (68.3 KB, 40 views)
Old 08-07-2019, 04:36 PM
Blue Lip

Its always disappointing when using fingers, rags etc to tension your braid to find blobs of coating and colouring coming off as you wind it on.
It adds an extra process to the equation but this is my red neck line tensioner.
Works well with all classes of braid and mono.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0904.thumb.jpg.e778856e93dca3512a8883fba9e11dfb.jpg (248.6 KB, 1 views)
Old 09-07-2019, 07:21 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Hornet View Post
Its always disappointing when using fingers, rags etc to tension your braid to find blobs of coating and colouring coming off as you wind it on.
It adds an extra process to the equation but this is my red neck line tensioner.
Works well with all classes of braid and mono.
Ahh the good old alvey - thats a good idea.

Have you ever got line twist from spooling up a thread line reel with braid using the alvey?

I kind of like that colour comes of the line while I'm spooling up with the glove - In my mind its getting rid of the excess and wearing in the line a little - rolling out the kinks and taking care of any blobs
Old 09-07-2019, 07:24 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Just ran 150m of 30lb braid through the book with 1.1kg of force.

I was reeling as fast as I could and the line barely got to "luke warm" - by the time I touched the book - I couldnt notice any rise in temp on the paper
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 523.jpg (159.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 522.jpg (200.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-07-2019, 07:43 AM
Blue Lip

I reckon at the point where the arrow is pointing to if you got a thermal camera it'd show heat of some sort, not expecting molten temperatures but it'd be something.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190709_213831.jpg (179.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-07-2019, 10:19 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
I reckon at the point where the arrow is pointing to if you got a thermal camera it'd show heat of some sort, not expecting molten temperatures but it'd be something.
Yeah I'm sure it got warmer than the line - It just dissipated before I touched it.

Before I did the test, I was expecting much more heat because of the heat generated by line rubbing against bare fingers when spooling - but that heat just wasnt there when I tried to feel it

I do have one of those "Digital Infrared IR Thermometer Temperature Laser Gun -50℃ to 380℃ DU" on the way - so I can redo the test in the future
Old 09-07-2019, 04:48 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
Ahh the good old alvey - thats a good idea.

Have you ever got line twist from spooling up a thread line reel with braid using the alvey?

I kind of like that colour comes of the line while I'm spooling up with the glove - In my mind its getting rid of the excess and wearing in the line a little - rolling out the kinks and taking care of any blobs

I've never had an issue with line twist with braid. IMO braid can cope with far more twist than mono or FC. I have at times fished plastics off 3lb FC and line twist is real problem after 20 or so casts.
I can remember winding on a middle range 4 strand braid (I won't mention the brand) through my fingers and the amount of coating that came off was ridiculous. I had to stop winding every 30 metres or so and pick this great glob off junk off the line that had already semi fused.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: