Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Old 20-01-2018, 06:42 PM
Poddy Bream

Lessons Learned the hard way!!! FAIL

Biggest Bream FAIL Yet

Hi crew

So my fishing and social time is very limited in Summer as I am on call 3 weekends out of 4 for 6 mths of the year. I try to make the most of it by ensuring our family camps on that off weekend and I attach extra leave to make it a good break. I also take the kids fishing before and after on call duties with it being a limited opportunity, before 9am and after 6pm.
So I had been home on call all day yesterday, on call by my self as the family and 2 of my daughters friend's went out roller skating for my daughters B'Day. My job was to take the boys fishing once off call, so my daughter could have uninterrupted time with her friends. Its a hard job I know but some one has to do it.
I had been watching YouTube fishing vids all day and I was keen to take the boys for an hour and a half. In the arvo I quickly smashed out all my wife allocated duties Ha Ha Ha Ha and loaded the rig with the yaks in preparation. The family +2 arrived home and I eagerly watched the clock like a race car driver awaits the flag drop. As soon as it was time we were off, its only a 5min drive so its a perfect spot.
We arrived and I quickly unloaded and rigged up and sent the boys out first with me tailing behind. Josh was quick on the bite but couldn't manage to hook up, might have had some thing to do with the monstrous curly tail worm he insisted on using. I offered to re rig a deep diving hard body for him and that when things went south!

Well that's the history behind yesterdays epic FAILED session! Watch the vid to see what happened!

MHX 720 Custom 6'
Shimano Sienna 1000
Glide Reflections modified

RIP(on the bottom of the Collie River)
Shimano Bushy Lurelegend 5'10"
Daiwa Sweepfire 2500

Last edited by Collie Yak; 20-01-2018 at 06:44 PM.
Old 20-01-2018, 06:48 PM
Blue Lip

Did you get the rod back?
Old 20-01-2018, 07:30 PM
Mature Bream

Maybe you could have snagged the rod back with another rod with a vibe on it.
Old 20-01-2018, 07:58 PM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slazmo View Post
Did you get the rod back?
No mate I didn’t but I know where it is. To deep to dive need some other method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzza View Post
Maybe you could have snagged the rod back with another rod with a vibe on it.
Just the method I was needing, cheers.

MHX 720 Custom 6'
Shimano Sienna 1000

Daiwa Sweepfire 2500
Old 20-01-2018, 08:21 PM
Blue Lip

May pay for us kayak fisho's to carry one of these every time were out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg images (1).jpeg (12.6 KB, 136 views)
Old 22-01-2018, 08:28 AM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
May pay for us kayak fisho's to carry one of these every time were out.
Oh man that things a weapon, AWESOME!

MHX 720 Custom 6'
Shimano Sienna 1000

Daiwa Sweepfire 2500
Old 22-01-2018, 04:03 PM
Poddy Bream

Seems we have all done it. The rig in the "test" image is a Daiwa Gekobijin, together costing around $900. It replaces the exact same rig lost out of a boat rod holder after only three casts, or about 30min. after launch to try out the new rod!! did a coupla casts , decided to move, motored about half km fast and turned around to grab it out of the holder.....gone!!!Got ....I now lay them down onthe deck.

After reading many sad reports of losses now only stow rod in the tubes on the PA14.

Just yesterday cast a lure, heard a "pop" and 3" gone off the tip of a Pflueger Patriarch that cant be replaced. Found the tip, put it on the gunwale and promptly brushed it off never to be seen again $@#t happens.........mostly to me😎
Old 22-01-2018, 04:48 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collie Yak View Post
Oh man that things a weapon, AWESOME!
That coupled with say 20 mtrs of high test rope on a small hand caster (the 12 ball bearing models seem to work best imho), or just having a tackle back already set up, where you can cut it off and throw the grappling hook onto it when the dire circumstances require.

That little grappling hook would be an assuring thing to carry especially with a sunk rod.
Old 22-01-2018, 08:27 PM
Dead Set Legend

Collie Yak, I sent you a PM.
Old 22-01-2018, 09:04 PM
Blue Lip

Great report mate the video was a great reminder of how hard the humble bream can go! And also a reminder of how easily a rod can be lost in a little yak be careful out there people!!

Last edited by matt jorg; 22-01-2018 at 09:06 PM.
Old 24-01-2018, 01:40 AM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
That coupled with say 20 mtrs of high test rope on a small hand caster (the 12 ball bearing models seem to work best imho), or just having a tackle back already set up, where you can cut it off and throw the grappling hook onto it when the dire circumstances require.

That little grappling hook would be an assuring thing to carry especially with a sunk rod.
We had a dive for it but the diver only had snorkeling gear and a weight belt, in 7m of water (I was amazed at how deep some of the holes are in the Collie River) and he couldn’t reach the bottom and half way down it was pitch black he said and his dive torch only illuminated a small beam of light through the murky water. So I think your idea is sound for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
Collie Yak, I sent you a PM.
Mark, I received your PM. Very generous mate, awesome, PM’ed back to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt jorg View Post
Great report mate the video was a great reminder of how hard the humble bream can go! And also a reminder of how easily a rod can be lost in a little yak be careful out there people!!
Thanks mate, I am trying to make my reports and vids as interesting as possible. The vid has been a great success, reminding everyone how easy it is to loose gear, provided a good laugh for those that have done it in the past and yet to do it LOL and brought out the awesome generosity that exists with in the Bream fishing community.

MHX 720 Custom 6'
Shimano Sienna 1000

Daiwa Sweepfire 2500

Last edited by Collie Yak; 24-01-2018 at 01:49 AM.
Old 24-01-2018, 01:53 AM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sBlackjabiru View Post
Seems we have all done it. The rig in the "test" image is a Daiwa Gekobijin, together costing around $900. It replaces the exact same rig lost out of a boat rod holder after only three casts, or about 30min. after launch to try out the new rod!! did a coupla casts , decided to move, motored about half km fast and turned around to grab it out of the holder.....gone!!!Got ....I now lay them down onthe deck.

After reading many sad reports of losses now only stow rod in the tubes on the PA14.

Just yesterday cast a lure, heard a "pop" and 3" gone off the tip of a Pflueger Patriarch that cant be replaced. Found the tip, put it on the gunwale and promptly brushed it off never to be seen again $@#t happens.........mostly to me��

Oh mate, since I’ve posted this to YouTube I’ve heard so many heart braking story’s, it’s providing some great knowledge to avoid future errors how ever. Cheers and mate sorry your rod got tipped that sucks.

MHX 720 Custom 6'
Shimano Sienna 1000

Daiwa Sweepfire 2500

Last edited by Collie Yak; 24-01-2018 at 03:23 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: