Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Old 19-01-2018, 05:36 AM
Poddy Bream

Fishing the South Coast

Hi crew, its been a few months since I last posted, to be honest I hadn't fished for Bream for that long that I forgotten my password by the time I had something to post. I was also to embarrassed to ask Ian to reset it for me again for the 3rd time LOL. Well I spent the good part of a day just working through all the different combinations of what I thought my password would be and waiting 15mins to try again LOL and finally I got it Ha Ha Ha Ha, I feel so accomplished!

Any way I've seen some really nice threads on this forum and easy to read as well, I thought I best get my act together with this. So armed with a bit of extra info from 'yellow door 1' I am attempting to write a report on our fishing holiday.

Munglinup Beach/Oldfield River Family Holiday

THE CARAVAN PARK
Just a bit of info for those interested. We stayed at the Munglinup Beach Caravan Park.
At the time of our visit it cost us $75 a night for a small cabin (much like a work site office). It had a kitchen-et with an oven/stove and a fridge. It was divided into 2 rooms, a bedroom with queen size bed and the main area with the kitchen and a set of bunk beds for the kids, we rolled a swag out for our 3rd kid and this was no extra cost. The park has great common use areas such as a grassed area with picnic tables under shaded trees and an entertainment area with a long dinning table, juke box, dart board and BBQ. The laundry, Showers and toilets were all in the one building that was nice an clean with many rooms to house the different areas. The owners were very helpful and friendly. No phone service at the park its self but down the road and up the hill 500mtrs you can get 3 bars with telstra.

BUSH CAMPING
We found a number of great camp sites for those not keen on a caravan park. At the beach its self is a shire run camp site, it features at the start of my vid "wrasse all day long" its much like an powered caravan park with toilets. The spot I launch my Yak from on the Oldfield River (2nd bush track to the river north from the caravan park) is also a great bush site with enough room for a group of campers to set up, Ill be editing another vid soon that will feature this spot and the one in the dunes. As mentioned another great spot was "the bowl" a great spot tucked in the dunes with awesome shade trees and a short walk to the estuary and beach, access to this is 4x4 only on the track that takes you to the estuary.

THE FISHING
The fishing wasn't anything spectacular however it is defiantly the best available kayak fishing for family's with kids and has both ocean and river with easy access to both and the safety of a lagoon that my kids could kayak on with out assistance 90% of the time. The day we arrived some young guns from Perth had hit the river nailing 50+ bream on hard bodies ranging from rats to 41cm they said. although they were extremely helpful with locations on the river I think this was the reason it was tough fishing for me over the next 6 days? Well I would rather blame them then my lack of skill LMAO!
While the river provided me with all the usual Breaming frustrations the Lagoon at the beach was the highlight of the family fishing trip. The kids couldn't wet a line with out nailing a fish.
They caught;
-Skippy, lots of these but they moved on after 2 days.
-Herring, everywhere, they became a pest LOL.
-Wrasse Brown spot, fun to catch the big ones but again became a pest.
-Wrasse Western King
-Black Fish
-Juvenile Salmon
-Juvenile Breaksea Cod (An old local bloke scored a big one around 45cm casting from the beach)
-Juvenile Blue Grouper
It was a real highlight for the kids and they are hooked on kayak fishing. My plan has worked Ha Ha (more fishing time for me) The lagoon, for the duration of our stay, was as safe as houses for them to kayak in with depths of 1.5mtrs for most of it with 2x 3mtr holes near the outer reef.

THE VIDS

Munglinup - Bream on the Oldfield River
This vid was a fishing session with Josh and myself the morning after we arrived. You can see the campsite and cars of the young guns from Perth. They did real well the day before.

Munglinup - Wrasse all day long
We set up a day site at the beach and cooked breakfast and lunch, I fished all day while the kids and wife swam in the shallows and took turns paddling out to have a fish.

Munglinup - Brawler Baits and Sting Hooks
I had seen a local product (SW WA) called Brawler Baits, they looked great and some local young guns had been successful with them. I wanted to try them out and see if a beginner could use them to catch fish. I was hoping this would help the local bloke sell a few more. Well I got an opportunity to have a solo session at dawn on the 2nd last day of the trip.

I still have to complete editing on another vid, I'll edit the post when its completed to contain the new vid. It will be just a family one showing the area and activities available. At the moment I am a bit over editing LMAO.
I hope you all enjoyed my report. Please make comment and provide feed back. Thanks heaps.

MHX 720 Custom 6'
Shimano Sienna 1000
Glide Reflections modified

RIP(on the bottom of the Collie River)
Shimano Bushy Lurelegend 5'10"
Daiwa Sweepfire 2500
Old 19-01-2018, 09:33 AM
Mature Bream

Great report on such a beautiful stretch of our coast.

Keep them coming.
Old 19-01-2018, 10:52 AM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tozza View Post
Great report on such a beautiful stretch of our coast.

Keep them coming.
Cheers Tozza, glad you liked it. I’ll try and get to more locations and report on them.

MHX 720 Custom 6'
Shimano Sienna 1000
Glide Reflections modified

RIP(on the bottom of the Collie River)
Shimano Bushy Lurelegend 5'10"
Daiwa Sweepfire 2500

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: