Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Old 14-05-2018, 08:38 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

UV light for charging glow in the dark lures

Obviously I've been sniffing around the $1 units on ebay

But I'd be willing to spend a bit more on one that has the breammaster seal of approval.

Any suggestions welcome.

The highlighted sentence below has got me intrigued

https://www.celestialescapes.com/how...dark-gift.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9025.jpg (110.9 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 14-05-2018 at 09:02 AM.
Old 14-05-2018, 08:46 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Turns out you can even spot scorpions with them
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9024.jpg (76.9 KB, 2 views)
Old 14-05-2018, 09:11 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

So far I'm liking the idea of a very small torch that fits in your pocket - this fella with a Zoomable head is the right size and it runs off a AA

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mini-3-M...OVDlMqw1UXf4mA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9023.jpg (64.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 14-05-2018, 09:22 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

I probably should be buying one like this but if its too big for my pockets - I wont use it

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BLACK-MA....c100005.m1851
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9022.jpg (48.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 14-05-2018, 04:49 PM
Mature Bream

Can't comment on the price and quality of UV lights these days but i can tell you that they absolutely will make your glow products glow brighter and longer and worth the investment you have indicated. I purchased mine to set a product called "Knott Sense" but it doubled beautifly to highlight the glow on lures.
Old 14-05-2018, 10:21 PM
Dead Set Legend

Correct frequency is important

If you want maximum effect from "black light" reactive items, 365nm is the proper wavelength for this.

The 400nm visible UV LED flashlights only appear brighter because they're illuminating the item with visible UV light, not because they're actually brighter.

A good UV flashlight will only activate fluorescent objects.
Also - standard UV LED torches and Flashlights in the 400nm range generally produce a strong 'UV beam' best suited to illuminate 'at a distance' and are not usually suited to close-up work owing to the higher visible-light 'interference' output, which tends to mask (or suffocate) the resulting fluorescence.

1. POOR QUALITY (Frequency Range: 395 - 405nm)
UV Torches operating in the wider 390nm - 405nm range generally use poor quality 'cheap' UV LEDs which produce far too much unwanted visible 'purple glare' (interference) and far too little in the way of a useful UV light.
A general rule-of-thumb is the more LEDs the torch has, the lower the Quality of UV produced.
Avoid torches with more than 9 UV LEDs.

2. GOOD QUALITY
(Frequency Range: 380 - 390nm)
Torches outputting UV in the 380nm range perform much better and produce superior results, with a much reduced 'visible' (interference) output.
Such units will naturally be more expensive than the cheaper 390nm models.

3. HIGH QUALITY (Frequency Range: 365 - 375nm)
By stark contrast, the higher quality, more expensive torches producing the 365nm wavelength, produce a near pure UV output which is the optimum frequency for UV fluorescence. This means you will see far more detail and in a greater range of colours than any other wavelength. As these units generate less unwanted Interference light, they may naturally appear weaker or darker. This can be misleading and should not be misinterpreted.
General rule of thumb is that the more visible UV light you see a worse quality it will be.
Lots of visible purple light is not an indicator of UV quality and indeed it is usually the opposite.

ATTENTION - CAUTION
Danger !
Eye damage guaranteed from careless use. These LEDs are manufactured to be almost invisible to the naked eye. It is made for a specific purpose and should not be used by children or people unauthorised by you the tradesman. Invisible UV is particularly dangerous to the human eye because it cannot detect that damage is being done.

INFO here: https://www.ledshoponline.com.au/ult...orch-australia
Old 14-05-2018, 10:44 PM
Dead Set Legend

LED quality

The 'chip' type LEDs are far superior to the mini globe type and you will have to pay a bit more for quality chips, and they get hotter.

Look for Nichia from Japan or Viosys from Korea, available as a single LED chip or in an array, usually 9.

Be aware that many of the higher quality torches like the Countryman and Convoy that you will see on fleabay, use the 18650 size lithium batteries.

RockBox 1 (3x3 LED chip).jpg

I built a small UV light box for viewing fluorescing minerals for my daughter.
The best systems will have a filter to remove the visible light produced by the LED, this is often referred to as a Woods Lens or Woods Glass.

Last edited by Mark M; 14-05-2018 at 11:10 PM.
Old 15-05-2018, 12:15 AM
Big Bream

My elcheapo from ebay works well and its not expensive, had it for a few years now and still working. its just the size of the normal aluminium LED torches that flooded ebay and every $2 store you could think of.

Not all lures stay glowing either, some only glow when the UV is shown on them, others actually keep glowing after the torch is turned off.
Old 15-05-2018, 02:38 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevric View Post
Can't comment on the price and quality of UV lights these days but i can tell you that they absolutely will make your glow products glow brighter and longer and worth the investment you have indicated. I purchased mine to set a product called "Knott Sense" but it doubled beautifly to highlight the glow on lures.
Thanks Servic - good to hear
Old 15-05-2018, 02:43 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
If you want maximum effect from "black light" reactive items, 365nm is the proper wavelength for this.

The 400nm visible UV LED flashlights only appear brighter because they're illuminating the item with visible UV light, not because they're actually brighter.

A good UV flashlight will only activate fluorescent objects.
Also - standard UV LED torches and Flashlights in the 400nm range generally produce a strong 'UV beam' best suited to illuminate 'at a distance' and are not usually suited to close-up work owing to the higher visible-light 'interference' output, which tends to mask (or suffocate) the resulting fluorescence.

1. POOR QUALITY (Frequency Range: 395 - 405nm)
UV Torches operating in the wider 390nm - 405nm range generally use poor quality 'cheap' UV LEDs which produce far too much unwanted visible 'purple glare' (interference) and far too little in the way of a useful UV light.
A general rule-of-thumb is the more LEDs the torch has, the lower the Quality of UV produced.
Avoid torches with more than 9 UV LEDs.

2. GOOD QUALITY
(Frequency Range: 380 - 390nm)
Torches outputting UV in the 380nm range perform much better and produce superior results, with a much reduced 'visible' (interference) output.
Such units will naturally be more expensive than the cheaper 390nm models.

3. HIGH QUALITY (Frequency Range: 365 - 375nm)
By stark contrast, the higher quality, more expensive torches producing the 365nm wavelength, produce a near pure UV output which is the optimum frequency for UV fluorescence. This means you will see far more detail and in a greater range of colours than any other wavelength. As these units generate less unwanted Interference light, they may naturally appear weaker or darker. This can be misleading and should not be misinterpreted.
General rule of thumb is that the more visible UV light you see a worse quality it will be.
Lots of visible purple light is not an indicator of UV quality and indeed it is usually the opposite.

ATTENTION - CAUTION
Danger !
Eye damage guaranteed from careless use. These LEDs are manufactured to be almost invisible to the naked eye. It is made for a specific purpose and should not be used by children or people unauthorised by you the tradesman. Invisible UV is particularly dangerous to the human eye because it cannot detect that damage is being done.

INFO here: https://www.ledshoponline.com.au/ult...orch-australia
Perfect - Thanks for the illuminating reply Mark - I now have a much clearer idea of what I'm looking for
Old 15-05-2018, 02:44 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple5ive View Post
My elcheapo from ebay works well and its not expensive, had it for a few years now and still working. its just the size of the normal aluminium LED torches that flooded ebay and every $2 store you could think of.

Not all lures stay glowing either, some only glow when the UV is shown on them, others actually keep glowing after the torch is turned off.
Thanks Purple5ive - yeah I like the idea of a small pocket torch
Old 15-05-2018, 05:11 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
Perfect - Thanks for the illuminating reply Mark - I now have a much clearer idea of what I'm looking for
Finding a pocket sized 365nm that took a single AA - wasnt too expensive - from a reputable seller - wasnt easy - But I found one.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CREE-LED...EAAOSwXeJXdNGz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9021.jpg (91.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 9020.jpg (44.6 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 15-05-2018 at 05:27 AM.
Old 15-05-2018, 09:20 AM
Dead Set Legend

Quote:
Finding a pocket sized 365nm that took a single AA - wasnt too expensive - from a reputable seller - wasnt easy - But I found one.
BFL.JPG

You are a worry BFL
Old 15-05-2018, 10:31 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
Attachment 113697

You are a worry BFL
Yeah I didnt mention the "according the prayer beads" coz i assumed that was a non-negotiable criteria that everyone respects when buying any torch
Old 15-05-2018, 06:11 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Turns out you can even spot scorpions with them
Literally! Scorpions have a UV reactive shell.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: