Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

View Poll Results: Time spent chasing bream
10% 6 22.22%
20% 4 14.81%
30% 3 11.11%
40% 0 0%
50% 1 3.70%
60% 1 3.70%
70% 3 11.11%
80% 0 0%
90% 6 22.22%
100% 3 11.11%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15-06-2018, 02:45 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Percentage of time spent chasing bream?

If you were to average out the time spent chasing your target species - how much time do you reckon you spent chasing bream last year?

And how does that differ from 5,10 or 20 years ago?

Last edited by yellow door 1; 15-06-2018 at 02:51 AM.
Old 15-06-2018, 03:15 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

About 14 years ago I could go almost a whole year with bream as the focus - but I slowly started adding other species to the repertoire. Bream were my introduction to finesse luring - and I quickly learnt that finesse retrieves caught a whole heap of other species on lures

To this day, I'm hopeless at winter fishing for bream - so I used to branch out and chase stocked trout and redfin. Other freshwater creatures snuck into the mix in the colder months, while I waited for the bank bream bight to fire back up.

And my first pinkies on lure session at dusk, was the perfect antidote to a slow winter bream bight.

But as my seldom trod bream banks turned into goat tracks, then cattle tracks then ended up looking like a herd of buffalo had been running down them every day of the week. I began to drift away from bream. Because the returns werent there like they used to be.

Other, more skilled anglers, could still slay them on those banks but all the bream that liked my clumsy retrieves were gone.

So my drift away from bream included many factors - but catching less of them made it much easier to chase other species
Old 15-06-2018, 05:18 AM
Blue Lip

I would say 60% but that is only because I cant chase bass all season.

Back when I did bream comps it was 90%

Still love it but It just isn’t the same as chasing natives in small creeks.

Yes I want a hamburger!!! god!!!
Old 15-06-2018, 05:24 AM
Big Bream

I've been a hard core bream fisherman for well over 25 years. I started after reading about fishing author, Vic McCristal catching bream on lures. I wanted to give it a try. Back when I started,the local bait fisherman would often scoff at me for using lures. They would say things like, "there's no trout in here mate!". I loved it when I managed to catch one on a lure right under their noses, while they sat there catching nothing. I'd make sure I'd hold them up, so they could more easily see them.

The only time I fish for species other than bream these days is in winter and early spring when the estuaries are flooded and full of dirty freshwater. Even then, I will still often try to catch bream in their deep holes. When it becomes completely hopeless, I like to cast slugs in the surf or off the rocks for salmon.

Prior to become fixated with bream, I liked to fish for big fish. When I was a young man, I thought the bigger the better. I'd often travel huge distances or go way off shore to catch big fish, or spend all night fishing for mulloway or snapper in June and July. I caught lots of big fish over the years, but it was always stressful and full on. Eventually, I came to realise just how relaxing and tranquil it was fishing in estuaries in comparison and as I aged, I soon came to much prefer it over anything else.
Old 15-06-2018, 04:44 PM
Blue Lip

5 or so years ago, it would easily have been 95% of the time.
Our numbers here have dwindled severely in that time across many of the waterways & it would now be closer to 10 or maybe 15%.
Egi is now a BIG focus for me these days, followed by the elusive Mulloway.

Its a work in progress
Old 15-06-2018, 07:51 PM
Blue Lip

yep i miss the local bream population,we still have decent fishing further afield but the sneaky 1-2 hour session for 40cm fish is almost gone.They became victims of their own popularity and posting pics of decent bags of fish and not hard to find locations led to their demise by persons more interested in making a buck or filling white buckets......yes i miss the local bream and wonder if i'll ever see them back like they were in my lifetime,sadly i doubt it.
cheers nereus
Surface 39cm and work in progress
H/B mully 83cm and not so bitter
S/P mully 85cm on 4lb FC
Old 16-06-2018, 01:28 AM
Blue Lip

As of now each time I leave home my focus species is bream 100%. I only wish that I had been introduced to lure fishing for this little guy a lot earlier in life. As CK and nereus have stated it appears that local numbers have reduced significantly over the last few years. At least now that I am retired I can explore further afield from where I once regularly fished and this has certainly maintained if not increased the excitement and anticipation that each fishing session now/still brings. It is luring for bream that has led to my passion for hb lures. Having said that I am now looking at expanding my hb sessions to include specific time/lures for juvenile mulloway and eventually pursuing light popper fishing for the local salmon population. Thank you little bream . For me now it is as much about the journey as it is the outcome. Regards, HBt.

Last edited by HB tragic; 16-06-2018 at 02:04 AM.
Old 16-06-2018, 06:12 AM
Big Bream

Have mixed it up a bit in the last 12months, taking opportunity to fish when I can. Also have gone onto the VFFA council and spent a bit of time chasing trout, eps, bream, flatties & salmon on the fly.
Old 17-06-2018, 11:33 PM
Blue Lip

I could have clicked 99% if there was one in the poll. But I clicked on 90% as I am ocassionally fish for pinkys on plastics and calamari in PPB.

I used to fish for trout but after discovering bream on lures that was it for me.

Monster Miki Addict
Old 18-06-2018, 07:58 AM
Blue Lip

Probably 90%. Still enjoy throwing lures for bream and found you learn more each time you venture out.
Old 24-06-2018, 03:27 AM
Big Bream

Probably 30% - 40% of the time. I always have a rod set up to chase bream and another couple on the go for other fish. The post inspired me to get out this morning and only target bream. The water was pretty dirty but I was pretty happy with the few bream I picked up as well as a bass which I thought was a stinker bream until it came up. Perfect weather for it as well.
G0023933.JPG

G0053980.JPG

G0074081.JPG

G0084222.JPG

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: