Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Reels

Reels Who’s using what, find out in here.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-11-2013, 04:14 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I've tried all products as mentions above and more to give new life back to busted and rusted roller bearings. Never worked. Do you know what did? Castrol GTX grease. Sticky and greasy as all HECK!! but it worked when mx6 mx7 and mx8 hotsauce reel butter and others failed.
Hey mate, I don't think any of these products can actually fix a damaged bearing. When the bearing is damaged it will never perform the same.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:19 AM
SLAZMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
Have you tried DuPont Krytox? This stuff is so expensive! I saw Alan Hawk use it in his high end reels.
DuPont Krytox - read this... http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ead.php?179445
Old 08-11-2013, 05:31 AM
Mature Bream

The roller bearing wasnt physically damaged. Its is a 7 year old Sol roller bearing thats prob got grit and all manner of junk and rust in it. Long story short, even after a ultrasonic shellite bath overnight and experimenting separtely with inox mx3 mx5 mx6 mx7 mx8 (which didnt get rid of the bearing grind), i tried some castrol gtx I had lying around. Well the castrol fixed up the noise 100°% whereas all other oils and grease didn't. This is a one off thing but in the future if any roller bearing issues can't be fixed up by inox products then I would probably resort to using castrol gtx grease again

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
Hey mate, I don't think any of these products can actually fix a damaged bearing. When the bearing is damaged it will never perform the same.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:36 AM
SLAZMO

Quote:
The roller bearing wasnt physically damaged. Its is a 7 year old Sol roller bearing thats prob got grit and all manner of junk and rust in it. Long story short, even after a ultrasonic shellite bath overnight and experimenting separtely with inox mx3 mx5 mx6 mx7 mx8 (which didnt get rid of the bearing grind), i tried some castrol gtx I had lying around. Well the castrol fixed up the noise 100°% whereas all other oils and grease didn't. This is a one off thing but in the future if any roller bearing issues can't be fixed up by inox products then I would probably resort to using castrol gtx grease again
Sounds damaged to me, needs to be opened and not just soaked. If there is crud in there, you will have to get that out before you put anything in there. Oil of any sort is pretty good for bearings, greases or grease oil hybrids (low NLGI) are better however slow bearings down.

I still cant find Castrol GTX grease? What's the description on the tub?

Just because she's not howelling doesnt mean its somewhere near fixed, its just been masked over, the grease has quietened it down as such.

Question is - has the roller bearing stopped moving and is it spinning inside the roller housing? Only way to tell is to open it up, and run line over the roller and watch the bearing spin, which isnt easy for such a small bearing.

Nothing is as what it seems in servicing reels - break out a magnifying glass if need be.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:50 AM
Mature Bream

Castrol HTB grease. Just got home and looking at the tub now.
Inox is what I exclusively use now but it didn't work in this instance nor did 3-in-1, nulon ptfe and myriad of other products.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:54 AM
Mature Bream

What I rekon has happened is because castrol HTB is so sticky and thick it has completely coated the little ball bearings and stopped all friction and internal abrasions. When I say its thick and sticky I mean it in the most extreme way
Old 08-11-2013, 06:03 AM
SLAZMO

Quote:
What I rekon has happened is because castrol HTB is so sticky and thick it has completely coated the little ball bearings and stopped all friction and internal abrasions. When I say its thick and sticky I mean it in the most extreme way
Yeh I have the same stuff - used it once in my car's wheel bearings and never used it again... Its thick and tacky and wheel bearing specific, basically High Temperature Bearing only.

Use it but keep in mind that its got no corrosion protection nor any friction modifiers - and not suitable for fishing reels. Cheap nasty $8 a tub stuff.

Should have used Merc 2-4-C - this is Bentone based and sticky / tacky and would have been perfect as its a MArine specific grease. I use it but not in bearings, too thick.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:11 AM
Mature Bream

It fixed the bearing noise in the old Sol. It wadnt my reel after all so didn't care what happened to it. No way I'd service my own reels with it, I'd just buy new bearings. Just an interesting and bizarre thing I thought I'd share.
Old 31-01-2014, 07:55 AM
Blue Lip

I just sat through most of this "review" on the chronarch ci4+ until the reviewer couldnt figure out how to access the pawl on the level wind. He even suggested that shimano should make it more accessible for adjustment i think he said. Wtf for????? Lol
Made me think a bit the reviews on tackle you get from around the place. Maybe they should be impressions.

Thoughts?

Nagz
Old 31-01-2014, 07:58 AM
Blue Lip

Sorry lol
Heres the link

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oxpKu91dzjw
Old 07-07-2014, 09:45 PM
Mature Bream

hey guys, is is it possible to take just the side plate off of a sustain fg? I've done it on my stradic ci4, so figured the sustain would too but it just won't budge. All the screws are out and that
Old 07-07-2014, 09:47 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pies1010 View Post
hey guys, is is it possible to take just the side plate off of a sustain fg? I've done it on my stradic ci4, so figured the sustain would too but it just won't budge. All the screws are out and that
There is a fourth screw. You'll need to take off the Rotor and rubber ring to access it.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:17 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrizVegasBretto View Post
There is a fourth screw. You'll need to take off the Rotor and rubber ring to access it.
thanks mate. any tricks for getting the spool supports off?

EDIT: All good sorted it out. Just wanted to squeeze a bit of grease around the creases to try and improve against water intrusion as I've started using it on the yak.

Thanks for the help mate.

Last edited by Pies1010; 07-07-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:45 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pies1010 View Post
thanks mate. any tricks for getting the spool supports off?
For a 2500, take the shimming washers off and then a 0.9mm allen key to remove the grub screw. I assume the size is the same for 1000 size Sustains as the 0.9mm fits my 1000 Biomaster as well.

Slazmo got away with using the thread end of a sewing needle for the grub screw. I couldn't unscrew mine using the same technique. Finding the mini allen keys as a stand alone can be tricky. Slot car racing stores may have them. eBay definitely does. Dick Smiths have them (but only in a set), as does Auto Barn (again, only as a set). There is a number of other online stores allegedly based in Australia which advertise them too.

I ended up buying the Dick Smith set. The pieces included managed to fill a number of sizes I was missing anyway.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:10 AM
Fingerling

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagz View Post
My first big hint is to find somewhere online that gives a description of maintaining that reel or similar

Failing that, what you need to do is find the schematics and photocopy them to be as large as you can for easy viewing

Then grab a fluffy and clean white towel and lay it down on your work area surface

Have your tools laid out ready to roll

Grab your mobile phone to take chronological shots of the reels dismantlement and assembly

As you take pieces apart, lay them on the towel in an orderly fashion to keep track of the order they were in

One more, make sure the floor in your work area is well lit and uncluttered, that way if you drop a small piece, it can be more easily found

If you still have concerns, send it in to daiwa or a tackle store or someone with experience

I'd love to service such a small reel

Good luck with it mate

Cheers

Oh yeah, and stay off the piss if its your first time, trust me
Amen to that bit about the piss.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: