Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Old 28-12-2015, 03:13 AM
Mature Bream

Out west ' of here ..... me and a mate where running the wires for an Geophysics survey

I had just finish running the left side of the wire and was waiting fro me mate to connect the rear right hand corner ' it was fairly thick scrub so dragging wire through that type of country can be a bastard but the quicker you can move it the better

I had positioned my wire and was just about to take a drink when i heard me mate yelling some 100m out to the west of me ' he was yelling on boarder line hysterical .... then DohDohDohDoh went quite 'mmm not good

I made my way through the scrub towards him and caught glimpse of him kneeling down looking out through the scrub some distance in front .... i made my way up and he pointed at the ground ...... big cat prints in the sand

Now i though a scrubber might have given him chase ' which while wasn't common it certainly was a likely scenario given the country .

What he said next made me think a bit ' he was pulling the line forward into position and a large cat jumped out in front of him out of a tree only meters in front of him ' when he stared to yell it piss bolted

Now i though this was pretty far fetched ' while i couldn't find the tree it was suppose to have jumped out of i did photograph a set of big cat tracks ... we used a Winfield Blue packet to gauge the size ' the paw print was bigger

I called the survey off for that area
Old 28-12-2015, 10:56 PM
Blue Lip

I've seen massive dog prints that were bigger than my palm and were the exact shape of cat prints and didn't have any claws....I assume they were dog prints....big cats don't live in Australia This same large "dog" had then ripped the throat out of a wild cow about 300m downstream....safe to say, we exited the area with out backs to the water!
In the same area but about 3 years later I was on a boys motorbike trip with a group of mates that I had never mentioned any of this too when the driver of the car locked up the brakes and jumped out of the car because he had seen a "puma" run across the track, unfortunately I was half asleep so didn't react quick enough to see anything but he is certain it was a black cat that was the size of a large dog.
I doubt they are big cats in the exotic sense but I am certain there a massive ferals out in the deep bush, look up Darwins theory of evolution then consider cats can have 2-3 litters per year and have been wild in the Australian bush for over 200 years, the bigger kittens out compete their smaller siblings and breed with other bigger kittens and so on.
Don't get me started on the other "animals" out in our deep bush
Old 06-06-2018, 07:41 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Big cat next to a blue healer

Old 06-06-2018, 08:17 AM
Big Bream

Back in the 1960's when I was about 14 years old, I was rabbit shooting with my trusty .22 along one of the creeks near a little Victorian town of Birregurra. As always I was moving along very quietly and slowly with the breeze in my face, when I heard the sounds of bones being crushed ahead. Thinking it was probably a fox, I crept up to within 20 yards, but straightaway I could see that this was no fox. At the time I didn't know what it was, even though I watched it at close range for quite some time. It was the ugliest dog I had ever seen. It was about the size of a labrador, but it looked like no other dog I've seen. It had a massive tail which was very thick at the base. It's back legs seemed to have the joints in the wrong places. It's head was different too. Most the most striking thing about it were the dark coloured bars running across its sandy coloured rump. I kid you not. I could have easily shot it, but I decided not to, mainly because I just didn't know what it was at the time. By the way, I wasn't the only local to see it either. It was seen by two other respectable locals in the same week and in roughly the same location. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that it was a thylacine.

Last edited by Windknot; 06-06-2018 at 08:31 AM.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:48 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Yeah we used to camp a fair bit down at Blanket Bay and Aire River - Plenty of dense bush for things to hide in down that way
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 843.jpg (107.0 KB, 1 views)
Old 06-06-2018, 09:25 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Old 06-06-2018, 09:31 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Could just be a mangey Fox with a limp

Last edited by yellow door 1; 06-06-2018 at 09:35 AM.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:36 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Heres a fox with mange

Old 06-06-2018, 07:53 PM
Big Bream

If you look at any of the old photos of actual thylacines, you will notice that perhaps the biggest difference between them and dogs is around the base of the tail. A dog's anus is orientated to point directly to the rear, whereas on a thylacine it points towards the ground, due to the thick base of the tail.

After I wrote that post last night I decided to do a bit of research on thylacine sightings and I was surprised at how many sighting there have been.
http://www.tassietiger.org/index.php...sightings-2015

I rarely mentioned my sighting in the past fearing people would think I was a nut case, but these days I just don't care what people think of me. I strongly believe they're out there and more numerous than what most people would believe. One day, someone will find a recently deceased thylacine and the history books will be rewritten.

The Otway Ranges have incredibly dense vegetation covering most of it. In many places it is just impossible to walk though it. Goodness knows what's in there. The place where I saw the thylacine was in reasonably open farmland, but the bush wasn't far away. It was well to the south of the town. I didn't mention that after the thylacine had walked away, I looked at the bones it had been crunching up. It was a sheep carcass and every bone had been completely crushed.

Last edited by Windknot; 06-06-2018 at 08:06 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:39 PM
Mature Bream

Anyone seen the vids getting around fb and on the news about a panther in the blue mountains (or some place like that)
Old 13-06-2018, 03:59 AM
Blue Lip

The ones I've seen are pretty much feral cats running around and people claiming they are Panthers.
Old 13-06-2018, 04:25 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahoo View Post
Anyone seen the vids getting around fb and on the news about a panther in the blue mountains (or some place like that)
Yeah saw that one

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/new...s-panther.html

Here it is zoomed in

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/nati...lue-mountains/
Old 13-06-2018, 04:29 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

heres some other footage

Old 13-06-2018, 04:32 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Old 13-06-2018, 08:31 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-1...-exist/9116232

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/ass...s-a-review.pdf

Last edited by yellow door 1; 13-06-2018 at 08:58 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: