Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-08-2016, 04:00 AM
Blue Lip

Move tank away from window , problem solved

Proudly Supported by :

Nordic Stage Rods
Old 12-08-2016, 04:55 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sucker View Post
bristlenose catfish, cheap as.
When you say "cheap as" - I dont reckon you know who you are dealing with

I bought my tank at "Kmart" and a fully functioning, 240 volt replacement filter with 3 separate filtering mediums, costs $9

I do have access to free snails - but 6 of them could fit on your thumb nail. (I dont necessarily want them all over the tank like flies on a fresh log

I'd be willing to spend under $10, for a permanent solution to the problem - how many of these bristle-nosed buggers will I need to clean the vertical sides of a 20 litre tank?
Old 12-08-2016, 05:17 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarner447 View Post
Move tank away from window , problem solved
Dammit - I knew I should have mentioned the light source above the tank.

The closest window is approximately 5m away - the tank never gets warmth from the sun - or direct sunlight. Its is on top of a fridge but its located in the coldest part of an office with its aircon set to 22 degrees.

The lights above the tank, are 3ft above. They're those "Eco-Friendly 90cm long Fluorescent tubes" you find standard in most offices - I think they are 42 watt from memory.

Last edited by yellow door 1; 12-08-2016 at 05:21 AM.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:21 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
Dammit - I knew I should have mentioned the light source above the tank.

The closest window is approximately 5m away - the tank never gets warmth from the sun - or direct sunlight. Its is on top of a fridge but its located in the coldest part of an office with its aircon set to 22 degrees.

The lights above the tank, are 3ft above. They're those "Eco-Friendly Fluorescent tubes" you find standard it most offices - I think they are 42 watt from memory.
Haha looked like natural light...just get a couple of 7cm bristlenose....definitely dont get snails..

Proudly Supported by :

Nordic Stage Rods
Old 12-08-2016, 05:35 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Haha looked like natural light...just get a couple of 7cm bristlenose....definitely dont get snails..
I'm ready to pull the trigger on a couple of "bristle nose" - but I just want to be sure they will climb the walls of the tank like a "Creepy Crawly" (I dont really care how clean the bottom of the tanks is - My aim is to keep the vertical walls crystal clear)

If you were guessing how much time they spend on the bottom versus how much time they spend sucking on vertical walls - where do you reckon they spend the majority of their time?

I'd be willing to accept up to 30% wall crawling - but I'd like to know if they have a propensity for staying verticle for long periods of time before buying them.

I'm basically after a a miniature version of a "creepy crawly" - A cyborg /genetic organism that never sleeps and will not stop until it eradicates all algae on the walls of the tank

Last edited by yellow door 1; 12-08-2016 at 05:41 AM.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:42 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
I'm ready to pull the trigger on a couple of "bristle nose" - but I just want to be sure they will climb the walls of the tank like a "Creepy Crawly" (I dont really care how clean the bottom of the tanks is - My aim is to keep the vertical walls crystal clear)

If you were guessing how much time they spend on the bottom versus how much time they spend sucking on vertical walls - where do you reckon they spend the majority of their time?

I'd be willing to accept up to 30% wall crawling - but I'd like to know if they have a propensity for staying verticle for long periods of time before buying them.
I use to breed bristlenose mate and they will definitely spend time on the walls eating...especially at night....once they get to around 12cm they get lazy and wont eat as much algae

Proudly Supported by :

Nordic Stage Rods
Old 12-08-2016, 05:45 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

At this point I'm also considering chemical war-fare - (I already add 50% untreated tap water a week - so I figured the chlorine would kills the algae)

If its a simple case of dropping some chemicals into the tank to kill the algae - Thats what I'll do - but I still love the idea of the "Bristle-Nose"

Last edited by yellow door 1; 12-08-2016 at 05:48 AM.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:49 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
I use to breed bristlenose mate and they will definitely spend time on the walls eating...especially at night....once they get to around 12cm they get lazy and wont eat as much algae
Sweet - I'll grab a couple of 7cm units - where would a tight-arse buy them in Victoria?

My local pet store also offers fully supervised "Doggie-Day Care"- its like a "creche" for dogs. It exists, so executives who are "time-poor", dont have to feel bad about owning a pack animal, that sits on its own 95% of the time - its awesome to see all these pups who would have been hanging out on their own, mucking around with other dogs all day - but as you can imagine - their clientele dont worry about the price of a couple of "Bristle-Nose".

I'm searching for "wholesaler" style prices

Last edited by yellow door 1; 12-08-2016 at 05:59 AM.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:00 AM
Mature Bream

you could try on gumtree to see if anyone has some they want to offload.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:07 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Sweet - I'll grab a couple of 7cm units - where would a tight-arse buy them in Victoria?

My local pet store also offers fully supervised "Doggie-Day Care"- its like a "creche" for dogs. It exists, so executives who are "time-poor", dont have to feel bad about owning a pack animal, that sits on its own 95% of the time - its awesome to see all these pups who would have been hanging out on their own, mucking around with other dogs all day - but as you can imagine - their clientele dont worry about the price of a couple of "Bristle-Nose".

I'm searching for "wholesaler" style prices
Yeag gumtree or aquarium forum...find a breeder....heaps cheaper

Proudly Supported by :

Nordic Stage Rods
Old 12-08-2016, 06:13 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
you could try on gumtree to see if anyone has some they want to offload.
When ever I searched Gum Tree for live organisms - I've found the sellers are business men as opposed to people moving house and wanting to get rid of pets.

Blokes chargin $10 a Yabbie and $30 for 20 worms.

Most of the stuff I've searched for is cheaper at the Footscray market

Im seriously considering going into the "illegal yabbie for pets" trade - if those guys are selling Yabbies for 10 bucks a pop - I've got access to a very rare strain of "Obsidian Stallions" - These things would have been declared extinct if scientists had ever discovered them

These fellas have an "Opalescent Obsidian" black Carapace, perfectly tuned to surviving in tiny fern tree lined gullies with spring fed streams in the Yarra Ranges. Due to modern day farming practices - very few of these spring fed streams have survived - and even fewer of them contain "Black Beauties"

Last edited by yellow door 1; 12-08-2016 at 07:47 AM.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:41 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
bristlenose catfish, cheap as.
Yep...bio solution the best of all👍
Bristlies are cheap house cleaners - Clown Loaches if you have larger probs like snail infestation etc. cheers P
Old 12-08-2016, 07:47 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
When ever I searched Gum Tree for live organisms - I've found the sellers are business men as opposed to people moving house and wanting to get rid of pets.

Blokes chargin $10 a Yabbie and $30 for 20 worms.

Most of the stuff I've searched for is cheaper at the Footscray market

Im seriously considering going into the "illegal yabbie for pets" trade - if those guys are selling Yabbies for 10 bucks a pop - I've got access to a very rare strain of "Obsidian Stallions" - These things would have been declared extinct if scientists had ever discovered them

These fellas have an "Opalescent Obsidian" black Carapace, perfectly tuned to surviving in tiny fern tree lined gullies with spring fed streams in the Yarra Ranges. Due to modern day farming practices - very few of these spring fed streams have survived - and even fewer of them contain "Black Beauties"

Obviously I would never show video footage of where they came from - but heres the technique

Haha...we call them 'drain prawns'. Even better are the rare 'blue pearlers'👍
(I could tell you where to get emy but the 'Secret Society for Rare & Endangered Blueys' would stitch me up big time😬&#128518
Old 12-08-2016, 07:48 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbp View Post
Yep...bio solution the best of all👍
Bristlies are cheap house cleaners - Clown Loaches if you have larger probs like snail infestation etc. cheers P

Sweet - which ever one eats the most algae off glass is the one I want
Old 12-08-2016, 07:54 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

What price would be reasonable for a 7cm Bristle nose?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: