Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Old 10-08-2003, 07:42 AM
Blue Lip

Angry "Bream Tormenting tournaments"

Hi guys,

just found this in the new west coast fisherman magazine
in the swan river report:

Quote:
The 2kg bream appear to have thinned, perhaps this is a result of the tournaments tormenting the bream
What are they thinking. Considering that every bream in the BREAM tournaments are released, And how many 2 kilo bream Have been Caught in these tournaments. And when was the last tournament on the swan river.

Brody
Old 10-08-2003, 07:52 AM
Mature Bream

Newspapers will publish anything these days. Just because they havent heard of any 2kg bream lately it doeasnt mean they've gone.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:05 AM
Mature Bream

i'm not so sure that whoever wrote that comment meant it as a negative thing, however poorly researched they might be.

Probably more of a jealous "Damn those blokes and their ability to catch all those bream in the pre-fish, meaning that the caught and released fish are harder to catch" situation.

although, I'm not entirely sure, but how many bream fishos in a BREAM tournament have landed one at 2kgs?

Incidently, I read in the local rag this week that bream are being caught around clarement, although not very big... average size is about a kilo... hrmmmmmmmm in my books that's a great fish.... 36-39cm?

cheerio
al
Old 10-08-2003, 08:19 AM
Big Bream

"Incidently, I read in the local rag this week that bream are being caught around clarement, although not very big... average size is about a kilo... hrmmmmmmmm in my books that's a great fish.... 36-39cm?"

Average size is a kilo??? Pff I think I know what ur source is...!! Theres always been overstated facts of catches around the claremont area and always from a certain ...

Thats just my thought though
Old 10-08-2003, 08:41 AM
Your Friendly Moderator

I'm hopeing the comment was 'toung-in-cheek', but even as a joke, there are number of public that may be misled...

Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life!

Team BreamMaster Member
Old 10-08-2003, 08:50 AM
Mature Bream

torvic
you are very, very right
funny that there's never any associated photos...

having fished a 'fair' bit around that area, I know there's a lot of bream around, but average size is more likely in the 250-350 gram range.

Although, that's not to say that you don't see the occasional monster finning around in a yacht club mooring. But they simply refuse to touch anything, bait, soft plastic, hard body or more recently, fly.

I think that's why they grow so big...

cheerio
al
Old 10-08-2003, 10:19 AM
Blue Lip

Brody, just a few quick facts to shed some light on that article:

There hasnt been a 2kg bream caught in tournaments in all of Australia yet, let alone Perth.

The Perth tourny was quite some months ago now (5 or so?) and I think big bream there was caught by Geoff Spads at about 1.5kg.

There has not been a fish death associated with the tournies in WA yet and I think that the eastern states also have a 100% survival rate.

All in all that sounds like a quality piece of journalism that you found.
Old 10-08-2003, 03:59 PM

Facts not fiction

I wish people would rely on facts not rumours.

The latest data from a Govt report is that 13 milion Bream are caught each year in Australia. 8.2 Million of these are released each year.

My rough calculations are that with maybe 15 tournaments I know of with maybe 100 anglers catching possibly 1000 Bream

That means that Tournaments account for 0.12% of the pressure put on Bream. And these released by experienced peple and recovered in a live well before release.

You cruel cruel evil people. At least I did the right thing and caught 0/0 in my tournaments. More of you should follow my fine example ( please!)

Gary
Old 10-08-2003, 06:14 PM
Fishing Tragic

You'd be surprised the sort of things that fly around over here Gary.

You should check out how some other sites carry on here in the west. It's a credit to the way this site has evolved. We don't bash the other sites or other mags not related to the comps.

That's the way I'd like it to stay.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BreamOnFly/
----------------------------------------------
http://www.breammaster.com/images/bea001.jpg
Old 10-08-2003, 09:40 PM
Big Bream

- sounds like a bit of sour grapes from someone who has seen the amazing catches of some of the wizards on this site and is a bit jealous that his stinky prawn doesn't harness the same result !!
Old 10-08-2003, 10:36 PM

Talking How else can you describe it

from the fishes point of view other that "torment"

I mean these bream would FAR rather be caught and eaten - far less torment in that if you ask me...heck we could even name our boats something catchy like, 'Catch n Eat'.....now theres a novel plan..

What a bout a new credo...for the site....

Ta da....

"Catch n Fillet - send Pics to PETA!"

Slap. slap, trouty you evil benevolent dictater...wake up your snoring again!

Cheers!
Old 11-08-2003, 07:39 AM
Poddy Bream

I suppose one thing we should be thankfull for is that we don't have profesional tournament "disturbers" ie standing behind you and throwing rocks at where you are trying to fish like they do in europe. Maybe Trouty might get to do a bit of creative dictating on people if it ever does start over here.