Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Boats > Motors

Motors Get the low down on which outboards perform best…

Old 10-04-2015, 03:32 AM
Big Bream

Choosing engine for the 4.3m Tinny

Was set on a 30hp suzuki, this boat will never be fished with more then 2 people and i have no need for exceptional speed in this boat, thus i figured cheap reliable 2 stroke will do the trick.

I have however become very accustomed to my Df 150 4 stroke and its whisper like engine that im scared to return to BRUM BRUM BRUM 2 stroke noises.Had me thinking is a 30hp e-tec a good compromise more expensive, but 300 hour before first service ? and better fuel economy then the 2 ... make the price worth it ?

i have no experience with e-tecs and they 'special oil etc' any advice would be greatly appreciated.

*Hull is a 4.27m Clark Pursuit carrying generally 1-2 slight build guys. 2 batteries front rear casting decks bow mount electric and 60l livewell.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:09 AM
Blue Lip

I have the same size boat with a 30 2stroke on it and it pushes along quite well (2 up and a shite load of gear) but to this day i wish i put a 40 on it.......an e-tec has no more power but use far less fuel and are much quieter .............Choose carefully grasshopper
Old 10-04-2015, 07:58 AM
Big Bream

i know it is asking for trouble but yamaha or suzuki if im going for a 40hp 4 stroke ?

also are the servicing costs still significantly more on these smaller engines between a 2 stroke and 4 stroke ?

Cheers for the advice guys have always found choosing my outboards quite hard not easy to test the same hull and configuration you plan to use prior to buying the actual thing haha
Old 10-04-2015, 09:07 AM
Mature Bream

ive had my 30 hp etec now for 6 years...love it...wouldn't have anything else!

PB Bream - hb: 38cm
PB Bream - sp: 38 cm
PB Bream - surface: in progress

Daiwa Battler Beowulf
Daiwa Ignis 2000

Daiwa Battler Water Zombie
Daiwa Luvias 2000
Old 10-04-2015, 09:09 PM
Mature Bream

suzuki all the way and dont forget with the 2 stroke you are also paying for oil ontop of your fuel dont make your desicion base on 2 slight built guys ect because that is only somtimes the case it always changes max your outboard weight out then that that will give you the most hp better fuel economy like you wont beleive one of my boats 7.2 genesis craft with twin df175tg and i get 1 nm per ltr which is very good for that type set up servicing is marginal apart from the etec 300 hr thing personally i would never do 300 hrs on the water with out servicing its just asking for trouble imo
Old 10-04-2015, 10:13 PM
Big Bream

After listening to you guys i have ruled out a 2 stroke ( including an e-tec) my next two decisions are size an brand.

After getting into specs i was very suprised to find the new 2014 suzuki 30hp 4 stroke weighs only 11 kilos more then the 2 stroke and over 20 kilo lighter ! then the yamaha equivalent.

This got me ringing around and he consensus amongst varying boat salesmen appears to be

"yamaha tried and tested best 30hp 4 stroke for a long time"
+
"new 4 stroke 30hp suzuki outdoes the yamaha in every test from consumption to speed and is faster at wot then its 2 stroke equivalents, reliability cannot be spoken for as it is a new engine"

Ive got to say after this anictodal evidence and the weight specs i kind of think it will be the suzuki.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:57 PM
Mature Bream

what the maximum weight and horsepower for your transom because you can go on weight before horsepower the suzuki 40,50,60 hp are all 104kg your transom maxweight if im correct is 110 kg so that opens your options up imo you can never have to much power but you can easly not have enough
Old 10-04-2015, 11:08 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecheif View Post
what the maximum weight and horsepower for your transom because you can go on weight before horsepower the suzuki 40,50,60 hp are all 104kg your transom maxweight if im correct is 110 kg so that opens your options up imo you can never have to much power but you can easly not have enough
The 2014 30hp suzuki is only 71 kilo id rather carry 30 less kilo and less fuel and less cost then have the extra 10 hp.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:59 PM
Fingerling

Sorry to come inlate, the link below may also assist with your choice.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/tZvIw83uZgY
Old 12-04-2015, 10:57 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincan View Post
Sorry to come inlate, the link below may also assist with your choice.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/tZvIw83uZgY
god damn it haha, that video has just made the decision even harder.

I do love the look of the e-tecs aswell great looking uni, back to the drawing board
Old 13-04-2015, 03:12 AM
Blue Lip

My dad runs a f40a 4 stroke yammie tiler steer on his quintrex explorer trophy 420.

I am amazed at its power and quiet refined idle.
When it is at full throttle it sounds bloody awesome!!
I recommend it big time.
Old 13-04-2015, 03:18 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by laddercat View Post
god damn it haha, that video has just made the decision even harder.

I do love the look of the e-tecs aswell great looking uni, back to the drawing board
Cool review!!!!!
I'd go a 40 etec now haha
Old 13-04-2015, 05:22 AM
Mature Bream

That is a good review.
One thing not taken into consideration is the prop pitch. I know personally from trying different pitches on my engine what a dramatic difference it can make.
I would stick to the Yam or Suz, know people with the other brand and reliability has been an issue after the engines have done a bit of work.
Old 13-04-2015, 05:39 AM
Blue Lip

I'd get a 40. My old 4.3m Tinnie always felt a bit under powered with a 30.
Old 21-04-2015, 03:37 AM
Big Bream

Go the Etec! I recently put a 30hp on my tinny and noticed pretty much the same as that video. Fuel consumption is incredible!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: