Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-04-2010, 03:06 AM
Mature Bream

DIY reel painting.

After picking up a couple of Daiwa Revros' on the cheap I decided to kill some time and repaint one DIY style.

Ideally I would want to do this with an airbrush and some quality 2 pack paint. Due to the cost of equipment and potential hazards I figured if I wanted to show others how to go about painting their reels it was probably a better idea to use touch up spraycans from Repco.

Here is how I received the reel mechanically sound but looking a bit tired in the paint department.

Here are some of the things you will need:

Starting with the paint don't buy those cheap $2 spray cans from Bunnings they suck and you are wasting your time if you use them.

The paint I bought was Holts brand touch up in the small cans which are ideal because they are decent quality and contain more than enough paint to do at least 2 bream size reels.

You will need the Primer, the colour you wish to use and if you want the finish to be nice and shiny the clear top coat. The clear isn't necessary if you want to keep a satin finish or your chosen paint is a gloss colour. A few top coats of clear (whether satin or gloss) will give you some added protection against scratching.

You will also need:

Wax and grease remover (ie the automotive painting variety NOT degreaser this is important)

600 grit wet and dry sandpaper (no don't use the normal stuff)

Fine steel wool

Clean white rags

Somebody you don't likes toothbrush.

Various screwdrivers etc for taking the reel apart.

And one of these if you totally f**k things up.

Start by disassembling the reel and putting away any part you don't want paint on. Ideally not in one big pile so you remember what went where.

Parts to be painted

Get your wax and grease remover and someone you don't likes toothbrush and clean all the grease and dirt from the outside and inside of the parts you want painted.
Grease will almost always get on places you don't want if you leave any around so make sure you clean it all off.

Cut up your sandpaper into manageable pieces put them into a jar and pour boiling water into it. This helps to soften up the sandpaper which makes sanding curves much easier.

Since you have boiled the kettle you can make a nice cup of tea for someone you don't like to apologize for ruining their toothbrush, alternatively you could use this as a ruse to poison them. (yes, I'm kidding. Or am I?)

Sand back all the pieces you are painting. There is no need to sand through the paint you just want to rough up the surface.

To get into the tighter spots use some steel wool.

Now all the parts have been sanded pour some of the wax and grease remover onto a rag and clean everything thoroughly.

Mask up anything you don't want to get paint on (ie anything that wasn't painted to begin with.)

Spray on two or three light coats of primer following the instructions on the can. Getting spraying right is tricky and is hard to explain so it might be a good idea to practice on something else first.
Let the primer dry according to the instructions.

When the primer is dry check there are no runs or lumps, if there are sand them back lightly until they are gone then apply another light coat.

Apply 2/3 coats of colour depending on how well the paint covers, wait around 30 min between coats possibly longer if it is cold.
Then if you want apply 2/3 coats of clear again waiting between coats.

Wait until all the parts have completely dried (usually overnight is good enough) and re-assemble. ( I cleaned and re greased/oiled every part)

Here is the result, not perfect or in my opinion the best choice of colour but int he end I'm happy with it. A cheap reel that now looks OK and works as new.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:13 AM
Blue Lip

Nice job mate
Old 01-04-2010, 03:30 AM
Blue Lip

Nice work,

Were you heading for the old stradic FH appeal?
cheers,

-Pivot-
Old 01-04-2010, 08:21 PM
Blue Lip

nice report, pics and the reel looks good too

www.crankalures.com
Old 01-04-2010, 09:11 PM
Blue Lip

Nice one.. I be afraid of the reassemble part, but your filing system of the parts looks rather shmick
Old 01-04-2010, 09:11 PM
Mature Bream

Very well done the paint job on it looks sick imo, I loved the old stradic white colour so this looks great!
Old 01-04-2010, 09:21 PM
Mature Bream

Wasn't really going for a specific look but now that you mention it, I always wanted one of those white Stradics when I was a kid...
Old 02-04-2010, 08:57 AM
Blue Lip

Thumbs up In two words

"Great mate"

Gae.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meh? View Post
Wasn't really going for a specific look but now that you mention it, I always wanted one of those white Stradics when I was a kid...
Old 02-04-2010, 05:36 PM
Mature Bream

Nice job there mate , just one thing though with painting after cleaning with wax and grease remover ( prepsol ) don't touch any surfaces you wish to paint with your hands , your skin has natural oils , and these can play havoc with paint.

Ozzy
Old 03-04-2010, 12:11 AM
Poddy Bream

Yes, I forgot to add ware gloves when painting or using any solvents.

Whoops logged in on mates account,
Meh?

Last edited by scottiedon; 03-04-2010 at 12:13 AM.
Old 27-05-2012, 07:06 AM
Mature Bream

Excelent Job !

Looks amazing !!! Awesome job mate, inspired to give it a shot just to fill some free time
Old 27-05-2012, 07:09 AM
Banned

thats is absolutely amazing man!
Old 27-05-2012, 09:08 AM
Blue Lip

Excellent job mate i love these how to bits on bream master.Hmm ideas ideas hehe
Old 27-05-2012, 08:17 PM
Blue Lip

Great how to mate,

A little more effort that I have spent painting my reels in the past.

Looks good.
Old 27-05-2012, 08:31 PM
Mature Bream

A couple of other tricks when doing this , firstly before painting boil the jug again and pour boiling water into a saucepan , sit the can of paint in this for 5 minutes , then give it a really good shake before spraying, what this does is up the pressure in the can and the paint atomizes better from the can ( and no the can won't explode ) , secondly before you spray your clear coat use 1500 grit wet and dry and sand your colour coat smooth , this gets rid of any imperfections in your paint ie dust etc and the finish when the clear coat goes on will be mirror finish.

Ozzy

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: