Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Old 13-06-2016, 06:34 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Show us your winter fishing gloves.

I know its not particularly manly to admit your hands get cold while fishing in winter. But mine do - So I'm interested to hear what gloves you wearing while fishing. (Actually to be specific its the pointer fingers on each hand that freeze up)

I've been using these ninjas for ages but they have reached their limits as the mercury plunges in the evenings.

The black colour is great during the day as they instantly absorb heat from the suns rayz. And there can be no greater grip or feel than these little beauties - they are like a second skin with far better grip than human skin. But they arent water proof and they arent that warm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3132.jpg (60.0 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 13-06-2016 at 06:43 AM.
Old 13-06-2016, 06:36 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

I recently tried on some Seal skinz water proof gloves - at first I wasnt convinced. You lose alot of feel compared to the ninjas but they are much warmer and they are water proof
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3131.jpg (10.6 KB, 335 views)
Old 13-06-2016, 06:41 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

And the last gloves I tried recently were soft leather with woolen inner lining.

They have similar warmth to the seal skinz - better sensitivity - but they arent fully water proof - so they would need to be treated with a water repellant
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3130.jpg (30.7 KB, 330 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 13-06-2016 at 06:44 AM.
Old 13-06-2016, 06:46 AM
Blue Lip

I've got a pair of these they're pretty nice
https://www.simmsfishing.com/exstream-half-finger.html
Old 13-06-2016, 06:54 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfinfisho View Post
I've got a pair of these they're pretty nice
https://www.simmsfishing.com/exstream-half-finger.html
Yeh I admire the toughness of those who can use fingerless gloves - but thats the part of my hand that gets coldest. I had a look at the rest of the Simms range and there are some definate candidates for what a girly man such as myself requires - thanks for the tip
Old 13-06-2016, 07:02 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Just did some more searching and found a "fully dipped" - "Ice" - version of the Ninja's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3129.jpg (36.7 KB, 6 views)
Old 13-06-2016, 08:16 AM
Mature Bream

I like the freshly killed bacteria bit.

Do you manage to tie knots with any of these? When I have investigated purchasing gloves in stores for fishing in the past, I have always arrived at the decision of whether it is better to go finger less so I can tie knots (thereby sacrificing warmth to my extremities' extremities) or simply remove a full glove when necessary. Being indecisive (more accurately: intellectually lazy) the whole decision was too much effort and I ended up buying jig heads even though I don't use plastics.
Old 13-06-2016, 09:14 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joely View Post
I like the freshly killed bacteria bit.

Do you manage to tie knots with any of these? When I have investigated purchasing gloves in stores for fishing in the past, I have always arrived at the decision of whether it is better to go finger less so I can tie knots (thereby sacrificing warmth to my extremities' extremities) or simply remove a full glove when necessary. Being indecisive (more accurately: intellectually lazy) the whole decision was too much effort and I ended up buying jig heads even though I don't use plastics.
Yeah fingerless gloves dont suit my purposes - they sound like a great idea until you use them at night in the middle of winter. It like cutting the toes off your Ugg boots, so your toes can hang out in the freezing night air

My finger tips are the coldest part of my hands so I dont want them exposed to the elements for long periods. If I need to rerig - I take my gloves off and get it done quick.

When I used to go bait fishing at night in winter I'd purposely wear ski gloves that were too hot. So taking them off for a minute was a relief. Having gloves that are just warm enough wasnt working - so I ramped it up

I like the ninja gloves because the offer great sensitivity and they dont have bulky seams on the fingers - but the light weight version arent warm enough. And if they get wet while releasing a fish - you have another set of problems on your hands So I'm liking the idea of the water proof ice version
Old 13-06-2016, 09:53 AM
Blue Lip

Those simms ones are pretty good even though they're fingerless they kept my hands from going numb at Eucumbene last year in pretty frigid conditions even when wet but they're expensive here in AustraliaI forked out $90 but they're quality and should last me years and years.

I find fishing with full length gloves almost impossible u lose all feel and simple tasks like tying knots and getting debris of your lure become almost impossible unless you remove them.
Old 13-06-2016, 11:25 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Yeah I definitely have to take my gloves off to do the tricky stuff. But when you put them in your pocket - you body heat recharges them and they are warmer than when you took them off.

I spose choosing the right set of gloves is a series of trade offs, where individual circumstances play a big role.

Thankfully the fish I chase at night arent that subtle, so sensitivity isnt the most crucial factor in my choice of glove. I'd still love to have sensitivity but not at the expense of warmth. Maybe a tiny cut out in the index finger would allow me to feel the blank and the line without cutting off the whole finger tip

I just need to be able to cast and turn the reel without the rotor bashing into my gloves
Old 13-06-2016, 11:39 AM
Poddy Bream

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-2014-...sAAOSwBw5XRRG-

i own a pair similar to these. fingertips flip back to tie knots. not waterproof becasue of the holes, but warmer than actual fingerless gloves
Old 13-06-2016, 05:14 PM
Blue Lip

Anyone using the mechanix gloves that have the led light on them?

Look pretty sweet for fishing nights
Old 13-06-2016, 05:18 PM
Blue Lip

A timely post Larry. I was out last night and it was bitter .... Very lazy wind blows off the Yarra at times.

Following this post with interest .... I'm also tempted to go back to the hardware store and pick up one of those heated jackets lol.

I'm thinking gloves like Basti's but only the index, middle and thumb fold back. So I can flip all back for tying and optionally have the index back if I want to lay it along the blank.

Last edited by Sloth; 13-06-2016 at 05:23 PM.
Old 13-06-2016, 08:56 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basti View Post
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-2014-...sAAOSwBw5XRRG-

i own a pair similar to these. fingertips flip back to tie knots. not waterproof becasue of the holes, but warmer than actual fingerless gloves
Yeah they do look like an improvement.

I do own a pair similar to those except they have a mitten tip that folds back. But there not the ideal lure fishing glove

They good for the bike when its freezing to start with but your hands warm up so you can expose your finger tips to cool the hands down a bit.

Something like yours would have been a more suitable choice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3128.jpg (130.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 3127.jpg (143.3 KB, 1 views)
Old 13-06-2016, 08:57 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagz View Post
Anyone using the mechanix gloves that have the led light on them?

Look pretty sweet for fishing nights
Shouldnt be to hard to rig up - thanks for the tip

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: