Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Rods

Rods Get the goss on what’s hot, and what’s not...

Old 24-03-2015, 06:15 AM
Poddy Bream

Volkey VKS722UL vs Skyroad T702M

I have a bit of a predicament. I'm selling off an NS Hurricane 722UL as I found the blank a bit too heavy for my liking.

I intend to replace it with either of the two models I mentioned above from Major Craft. For those that have compared the two rods or used either of them, which would you rate as the "better" rod in terms of feel and weight?

I'm looking to use it as an all rounder for soft plastic, hard body and popping for whiting kind of work.

Also if you have any recommendations of similar rods around the $250 range of around the 7ft-7ft2, 1-3 or 2-4kg & 2pce specs, I'd be open to suggestions.
Old 24-03-2015, 06:33 AM
Poddy Bream

look at the nordic stage areal, i have the 7ft 2 piece rated 4 to 8lb, light short butt and has some balls, 275 delivered to your door
Old 24-03-2015, 04:10 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renmazuo27 View Post
I have a bit of a predicament. I'm selling off an NS Hurricane 722UL as I found the blank a bit too heavy for my liking.

I intend to replace it with either of the two models I mentioned above from Major Craft. For those that have compared the two rods or used either of them, which would you rate as the "better" rod in terms of feel and weight?

I'm looking to use it as an all rounder for soft plastic, hard body and popping for whiting kind of work.

Also if you have any recommendations of similar rods around the $250 range of around the 7ft-7ft2, 1-3 or 2-4kg & 2pce specs, I'd be open to suggestions.
In that length range I use the Abu Salty Stage Kurodai KR-X Rod. Excellent. Loving the look of the new Shimano Anarchy range and 3Zero range of Rods. Whats your budget ? With my Abu Rod, they are light but stronger than normal rating due to the X wrapping. Many rods are using it now like Daiwa etc.
Old 25-03-2015, 04:45 AM
Poddy Bream

Thanks mcsquid. I had one of those and ended up passing it on to my Dad as I fell in love with the NS Ones.
Old 25-03-2015, 04:50 AM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxcalais View Post
In that length range I use the Abu Salty Stage Kurodai KR-X Rod. Excellent. Loving the look of the new Shimano Anarchy range and 3Zero range of Rods. Whats your budget ? With my Abu Rod, they are light but stronger than normal rating due to the X wrapping. Many rods are using it now like Daiwa etc.
My budget is around $250 mate. I'll have a look at the Abu Salty Stage Kurodai.

The Shimano Anarchy's look okay too but it's just a bit much for something I want to leave in the back of the car for the impromptu sesh on the river.
Old 27-03-2015, 04:18 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renmazuo27 View Post

I own 2 skyroads and 2 volkeys. I'm kayak based mostly so use the 6'3 and 6'6 models. You'll struggle to find nicer rods for the money.

both are fast but the volkey is proper fast. The skyroad is lighter in the tip. I like the volkey for plastics, which is almost all i do. The skyroad is probably the better all rounder if you want that though. Have a think about the rods you've used and like and if you like really fast rods the volkey is for you. If you like more moderate rods the skyroad is the go.
Old 27-03-2015, 04:35 AM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopperdog View Post
I own 2 skyroads and 2 volkeys. I'm kayak based mostly so use the 6'3 and 6'6 models. You'll struggle to find nicer rods for the money.

both are fast but the volkey is proper fast. The skyroad is lighter in the tip. I like the volkey for plastics, which is almost all i do. The skyroad is probably the better all rounder if you want that though. Have a think about the rods you've used and like and if you like really fast rods the volkey is for you. If you like more moderate rods the skyroad is the go.
Thanks chopperdog.

Yes at this point i'm leaning towards the skyroad. I'd like to be able to use the rod for both plastic and hard body work. Having said that, I don't mind having a little stiffness in the tip.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:17 AM
Fingerling

I was lucky enough to win a Skyroad T702M a few months ago. Its a beautiful rod, havnt really fished plastics with it but it is an awesome cranking rod.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:11 PM
Mature Bream

Go a Lox in a 1-3 or 2-5kg there great rods.
I use my 2-5 for structure and it has plenty of power, even use it for jacks.
There worth a look.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:50 PM
Mature Bream

If your after the all rounder option go the sky road mate. The Volkey is also a great rod if you throw a lot of top water the sky road will be more beneficial.
I have used both extensively, you can't go wrong with them 👍
Old 04-04-2015, 09:38 AM
Poddy Bream

Thanks for the replies guys. Sadly the Skyroad wasn't available here in Singapore. I ended up going something totally different, A Major Craft KG Lights 702 Ajing rod.

Very similar in feel and action to the Skyroad. Can't really give an impression yet but I can't wait to get it into action.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:47 AM
Fingerling

Hey mate,
I recently purchased the exact volkey that your looking at. First off, fantastic rod, and so are many other majorcraft rods that my buddys have. The volkey is very light, weighs in at 93 grams. flicks out light lures and placcies really well and has a great whippy action in the tip. I haven't fished a lot with the rod yet, but can honestly say its one of the nicest rods I have used.

I've never fished or even held a skyroad, but i'm sure they would be a quality rod as well. I dont think you can go wrong with any majorcraft rod to be honest:P
Old 08-04-2015, 07:08 AM
Poddy Bream

Thanks LMA!

This is what I'm starting to notice with Major Craft. They literally have a rod for every application you can think of and are all well spread out in their price ranges so you'll literally find something for what you're looking for within in your budget.

Seems as if you have quite an extensive knowledge in regards to Major Craft rods. Maybe you can give me a hand with my next question...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: