Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Reels

Reels Who’s using what, find out in here.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 13-06-2012, 06:54 AM
Mature Bream

Stella 1000fe - opinions?

Hey guys

I'm looking to get a stella 1000 for light plastics breaming. Will be matched to a nordic stage gunslinger.

I've had a search for some feedback on the new fe model, but couldn't find too much. I noticed alot of people have sold them though...

Anyone have an opinion on the 1000fe? how does it rate against the older model?

Thanks!
Old 13-06-2012, 07:10 AM
Big Bream

best of the best... dont think anything else needs to be said on it. ive got one, it could be used on any fish inside any river.
Old 13-06-2012, 07:15 AM
Mature Bream

Sorry, I should have been more specific! I'm looking to see if the 1000fd is a better buy than the new 1000fe model.

thanks!
Old 13-06-2012, 07:22 AM
Big Bream

Fd are a beatifull reel dont hesitate the purchase.

http://waves-anglers.com/
Old 13-06-2012, 07:33 AM
Blue Lip

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, shimano 1000 size reels suck. They are an engineering nightmare. They are very smooth, strong and reliable, but their spools are ridiculously narrow and they are prone to heaps of line twist and wind knots. Get a steez 2004. You will save a shipload of cash and they are lighter, cast better, and are just as smooth if not smoother.
Old 13-06-2012, 09:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella fella View Post
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, shimano 1000 size reels suck. They are an engineering nightmare. They are very smooth, strong and reliable, but their spools are ridiculously narrow and they are prone to heaps of line twist and wind knots. Get a steez 2004. You will save a shipload of cash and they are lighter, cast better, and are just as smooth if not smoother.
Could not agree more.I know someone who would buy a caldia over a stella... but not even I will be that bias... I would buy the stella then sell for 3 caldias
Old 13-06-2012, 10:17 AM
Blue Lip

they are a great little reel I've held one once and liked it but I held a 2506 exist after it and was omg the exy felt lighter and a lttle smoother would I like to own a stella one day????
YES but I have a certate and thats good enought for now. For me the deal breaker is the sizes if I got a stella I would want a 2000 not a 2500 and the 1000 may be a little small but still an epic reel and would be fun to use
Old 13-06-2012, 10:25 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
I own 7 shimano 1000 size reels which include a stella, fireblood, twinpower, 2x stradic ci4, sustain and a rarierum ci4 and run all types of braid from fireline, sunline, powerpro and straight through fluro and are all high usage from both comps and social fishing chucking anything from blades to hidden weighted light plastics an I have only had to pull out one small wind knot that my old man got in our last comp and I even put that down to his suspect casting action lol

I can't even rate or compare them to other reels as shimano is the only brand I have used since taking up lure fishing. I do like the 1000 size over the 2500 size but have never had any dramas with either to date.
Old 13-06-2012, 10:43 AM
Mature Bream

And unfortunately i don't think you could go into a shop pick up a reel and spin it a few times and say one is better than another (similar prices/specs)
Seeing how they still preform after a year of usage being in the eliments and bounced around on the boat can make alot of difference to what originally come from the factory
I don't even consider myself "anti" diawa because I know alot of people who highly rate them and I wouldn't mind trying a few out

Anyways mate to the original question I think the only difference other than cosmetic (could be wrong) is the spool and a bearing or 2

Cheers

Pete
Old 13-06-2012, 05:10 PM
Mature Bream

Thanks for all the input guys.

I have used a stradic 1000 before with 6lb rockfish and had the occasional knot. I also have a 2004 certate with 4lb frog and never had a problem, so there may be some merit to the 1000 vs 2000 size debate.

I already have a steeze 2500 so I was just wanting to try something different. Have beeen a daiwa man for a while but I'm running out of reels to try!

Thanks guys!
Old 13-06-2012, 06:14 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
What he said.

Monster Miki Addict
Old 13-06-2012, 06:24 PM
Big Bream

the FD looks a heap better in my opinion but the FD has "x-ship" and when the reel is under load it feels a heap smoother! i just purchased a FD spool which i'm putting on a FD stella looks sweet
Old 13-06-2012, 07:07 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
That's a bloody big call mate!
I obviously own a stella fe 1000 and others and I find them awesome, never have wind knots that's all crap.....

They don't suck they are a pleasure to use
Old 13-06-2012, 07:39 PM
Blue Lip

Hehe I seem to have roused a few opinions Dont get ma wrong I love stellas! (as my name would suggest) But it seems to me that the people backing the 1000 shimano's, are people who are yet to use a high end daiwa 2000. Having fished with both I can say that the 2000 daiwas just perform better all round. I'm not saying that the 1000's are completely useless, but the 2000 is better. IMO the shimano 1000's need to be used with extremely light braid (like PE 0.2-0.3) in order to get the most out of them.
Old 14-06-2012, 02:11 AM
Big Bream

geting sick of seeing people crap on about how the reel is the problem of wind knots! just like a tradesman blaming his tools.... wind knots are from your inability to throw a straight and fluent cast, not the reel..... ive seen and heard people get wind knots on 4000 size reels with 12lb braid.. seems easier to just blame the reel...

ive a 1000 stella fe, put a good 2000 casts on it now and had ZERO knots, 2 of those days where just a week ago in atleast 30km wind.

choosing FD over FE is like buying a new VT SS or VE SS. Both commodores, both v8's, both 4 door sedans.... i think the point here is obvious.

also X Ship on a 1000 reel is extreamly noticable when you battling a bigger fish.. ie. for me 2.7kg GT 5 weeks ago.

i'd never listen to anyone who bases an opinion on he said she said or never had a particular item you are asking about.... seems easy to pick the peanuts who answer your question with "get a diawa"

if you can get the FD for under $550 new, give it a crack. otherwise most tackle shops will match DohDohDohDohDohDohDohDoh on the FE @ $679.