Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Old 11-06-2017, 06:51 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazman View Post
not sure what natives you are chasing slazmo but that 6'8 volkey bfs (ml from memory) is a dream. Managed to land a 50cm barra on it and can cast siglets relatively well (i think my limited experience with BC and my reel are more limiting than the rod)
Yeh I have the Volkey BFS but thats atop the 50 Calcutta, thats purpose suited for casting the light stuff (1g to 4 gr) only.

When I want something for the 50e I was thinking for casting smaller spinner & chatter baits, frogs and buzz baits for bass - pretty much all I have purposed the 50e for.

Too short for me just feels a little hmm, I understand the whole deal with it however just not me. Have been able to deal with longer rods and scrub, and allows a little more leverage than shorter rods. Not looking for long distance casting, just a little length over the 5'8'' norm & I may add in a 2 piece guise.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:46 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
not sure what natives you are chasing slazmo but that 6'8 volkey bfs (ml from memory) is a dream. Managed to land a 50cm barra on it and can cast siglets relatively well (i think my limited experience with BC and my reel are more limiting than the rod)

Larry. Lately I have been fishing for jews (and everything really) with the completely opposite theory regarding rod length. Any excuse to break out the 8ft+ sticks
Yeah when I was choosing the outfit I wasnt really thinking about Jews - I was thinking about targeting natives from a seated position

But I figured at this time of year, I may aswell put the new outfit through its paces to sort out any issues before summer. And I'm glad I did.

If landbased Jews were the focus, I definitely would have gone for a longer rod
Old 11-06-2017, 07:09 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slazmo View Post
Lets take out all the Daiwa rods out of the equation as done.

Have been looking on the Bay, nothing really going for less than $210.

Got my MC Benkei BF for $180 in store - the last Benkei H I got online on Bay was $169 posted. Seems like its all hiked all of a sudden.

What I am really looking for is something more than bait finesse, and more for natives without going into that broom stick field of 3-7kg and too stiff.

Hard to really comment on feel, but yeh may have to go in store again and look at more Majorcrafts...
Yeah, gotcha. I mean, I'd take a Daiwa SVF blank over Majorcraft any day of the week but you pay through the nose for them. The new Megabass Destroyers look fantastic, are super light, cost less than they used to and come with a warranty, but the blanks feel very much the same as Daiwa Black labels which is disappointing. Haven't tried the new Orochi XXX and I probably won't bother.

My Go Emotion felt quite similar to a MB deepthroat, only with a bit more power through the butt section. I'd take the term "bait finesse" with a grain of salt. Most of the MC rods in that category range from 8-14lb max line weight with med-fast tapers so it's not like your confined to ultra-light soid tip rods or anything.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:51 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella fella View Post
I'd take the term "bait finesse" with a grain of salt. Most of the MC rods in that category range from 8-14lb max line weight with med-fast tapers so it's not like your confined to ultra-light soid tip rods or anything.
That's why I'd like to take the reel in with a couple of lures, line her up, hang a few off and see how she feels...

Very hard to understand described words, some very cryptic for rods. Talk to me about guides, seats and technology but feel is very subjective.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:22 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Larry. Lately I have been fishing for jews (and everything really) with the completely opposite theory regarding rod length. Any excuse to break out the 8ft+ sticks
How do you find retrieving with an 8ft rod?.

I've always found it more comfortable with shorter gear if I can get away with it. Especially when you're doing a subltle "Walk the dog" retrieve, with a 22 gram lure, thats been thrown 50m into a river.

I spose with retrieves that incorporate pauses, its not such a problem because your wrists get a break every few seconds.

But with alot of my retrieves - My rod choices need to take wrist fatigue into consideration..
Old 11-06-2017, 09:58 PM
Big Bream

With the heavier long rods I use lures that work with a draw pause retrieve or larger twitches, slow rolled and retrieves that don't incorporate wrist movement. A twitching retrieve is a last resort and I usually do it by bouncing the rod but between my elbow and my side. A couple of my longer rods (one in particular) is light enough that I'm happy to just use it like a regular rod and just stay conscious that I need to make my movements smaller to counter the length of the rod.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:04 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
With the heavier long rods I use lures that work with a draw pause retrieve or larger twitches, slow rolled and retrieves that don't incorporate wrist movement. A twitching retrieve is a last resort and I usually do it by bouncing the rod but between my elbow and my side. A couple of my longer rods (one in particular) is light enough that I'm happy to just use it like a regular rod and just stay conscious that I need to make my movements smaller to counter the length of the rod.
Yeah Nice - I start with walking the dog but I'll do a few retrieves with pauses when the wrists wrists need a rest.
Old 16-06-2017, 10:01 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Hate the 5'8" typical rods you find everywhere for sale... Today on the hunt for a 2-4kg for my Curado 50e...

Everything that I could find was 5'8" and around that, the one 6'0" that I found was totally unacceptable quality wise...

May have to go JDM yet again...
This is a very good option for the money if you want a light casting rod- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Major-Craft-...EAAOSwjL5ZFxM2

This is what I bought for my Alphas, very nice, light and sensitive 2 piece rod. Good length, not too short but still short enough to get good accuracy with good distance. Ive used it a few times since I bought it, throwing cranka crabs, and definitely prefer it to a spin rod for fishing around structure.

EDIT: Saw Slazmo also mentioned the Benkei BFS further up

Last edited by Breamtim; 16-06-2017 at 10:03 PM.
Old 17-06-2017, 12:13 AM
Blue Lip

Digitaka also has Majorcraft rods on their site now too
Old 17-06-2017, 12:37 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breamtim View Post
EDIT: Saw Slazmo also mentioned the Benkei BFS further up
Yeh 2pc would've been nice but for $197 yeh pass, I got mine here in Aus for $180, but was only available as a 1pc.
Old 17-06-2017, 07:07 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Yeh 2pc would've been nice but for $197 yeh pass, I got mine here in Aus for $180, but was only available as a 1pc.
Didn't even know they had them in oz, never really looked much into major craft here tho

Mine is a 2 piece and very happy with it, and from memory it cost me $175 au including shipping

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: