Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Old 06-08-2017, 11:26 PM
Mature Bream

Beware of wading in Brighton waters

barefoot waders,you can be eaten alive:

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/it...06-gxq9db.html

Last edited by piketronic; 06-08-2017 at 11:28 PM.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:06 AM
Administrator

Horror movie stuff!!!!
Old 07-08-2017, 02:22 AM
Honker

Easy to see how they can strip a full pilly to the bone in a few minutes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9696.jpg (82.5 KB, 136 views)
Old 07-08-2017, 03:50 AM
Mature Bream

Lucky he didn't go waist deep.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:59 AM
Blue Lip

:d
Quote:
Originally Posted by stik View Post
lucky he didn't go waist deep.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:34 AM
Honker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stik View Post
Lucky he didn't go waist deep.

I've done a little bit of bare legged floundering in that area and never come close to a nip on the leg from a sea louse.

There is a slightly larger population of sting DohDohDohDoh compared to other parts of the bay - but thats on hot summers nights - maybe the lice dont like the light but I reckon it more of a seasonal thing

Old 11-08-2017, 04:45 AM
Honker

But if you're bare legged wading at night for rising trout in the middle of winter - you can almost guarantee some action

Its a case of the hunter becoming the hunted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9387.jpg (187.9 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg 9386.jpg (165.7 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 11-08-2017 at 04:49 AM.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:55 AM
Honker

I remember bare handed Gold-fish Wrangling as a kid - and if you stood near a large (under cut) artificial boulder in the middle of the man made lake - your feet would get swamped by hungry mouths.

.......and thats just triggered another memory from the Murray river.

7 days straight of over 40 degrees so deck chairs were put in the water and you sat under a tree untill the sun pissed off.

Wait a sec - I've typed that story out before........I'll search it out........
Old 11-08-2017, 05:04 AM
Honker

Found it -

"We used to head up to the Murray around the New years period. 40+ degree days, meant a fair bit of time was spent sitting on deck chairs in the water.

One evening, one of the lads mentioned he was getting pins and needles between his toes - we just told him to have another beer and get over it - then someone else said they were getting them aswell. It didnt take long to work out what was happening.

The shrimp were chowing down on our toe cheese.

So I ran off to get the shrimp net as the boys rearranged the chairs into a circle. We found the optimum number of blokes in the circle was four - and the more toe cheese each individual had the better

So you had 4 blokes sitting in the water facing each other - all their toes inside the rim of a submerged fine meshed scoop net - Far too many beers already consumed - and then the waiting game began.

As we were all facing each other - you'd know exactly when the first shrimp had hit - a slight tensing in the face of one of your mates was the telltale sign - its quite an unpleasant experience to have them nipping at the webbing of your toes. - Depending on how tasty your cheese was - you could be waiting up to 40 seconds before they went to work - blokes suffering from foot-rot were considered a delicacy and would be set upon instantly. But thats where the fun started.

The net couldnt be lifted until all 4 dudes were being mauled.

If you've ever seen the TV series "Monkey Magic"

(Asian fantasy about a Monkey man, Fish Monster, Pig Monster and a Priest travelling through the country side and beating the crap out of various baddies)

You'll remember that when ever the Monkey man lost his sh1t and was about to go on a killing spree - the Priest said a special prayer and a gold ring around "Monkey's" head would constrict and cause him immense pain. "Monkey" would grab his own head and carry on like a freaken lunatic until the debilitating pain had stopped.

Thats the best way to descirbe the reactions of the 3 blokes who were being mauled before the fourth couldnt take it any longer either

When 3 of the blokes pain thresholds had been exceeded and the 4th bloke had just reached his - the net man would reach down - grab the net handle and count back from 3 to 1 - On 1, the net was rapidly scooped up as the 8 previously motionless feet flicked towards the centre of the net and withdrew.

Give it a crack - its an incredibly ineffective way to catch shrimp - but it sorts the Men from the boys and its pretty funny"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The shrimp pictured below isnt from the Murray but its the closest shot I have of what was nipping at our toes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9385.jpg (54.1 KB, 70 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 11-08-2017 at 05:06 AM.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:20 AM
Honker

I've been licked by cats, dogs, horses, sheep and cows.........bitten or sucked on by numerous insects for reasons other than spite ........ I've even had my hair nibbled on by a rabbit.

I'm beginning to think human scent may be the best "all species" attractant known to man. (obviously I'm excluding prey species smart enough to know man is a threat)

But a human is just another source of food to alot of other species

Old 11-08-2017, 05:26 AM
Honker

With the popularity of these "Foot Spa's" in Thailand - Its weird that Tourism hot spots havent taken off on South American rivers

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: