Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-04-2014, 08:47 PM
Blue Lip

Never heard of the fella personally but does he always play the game 'state the obvious' , can't wait till he lets people know that KFC is not health food
Old 08-04-2014, 08:48 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusty View Post
ET would give them a run for there money though.
If spruiking products was an Olympic sport, he'd win Gold, Silver and Bronze.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:51 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrizVegasBretto View Post
If spruiking products was an Olympic sport, he'd win Gold, Silver and Bronze.
He could store those medals in a coleman cooler next to his coleman tent or take them out in his quintrex that has ample room for his coleman gear
Old 08-04-2014, 09:33 PM
Blue Lip

Without giving too much away. There is a publication in the works that has full intention of giving you lot what you and apparently Mr Royter are asking for... Honest reviews.

I have been speaking with these guys for the last year or so as a bit of a consultant and this issue has been the biggest "must have" on my list of recommendations.

Having spent a few years on the inside of fishing mags and video production I can tell you the pressures come from every which way to ensure everyone's feelings are looked after. For the most part the guys I have worked with only ever wanted to publish the truth but commercial pressures have clipped their wings.

All I can say is watch this space over the next few months... Something is coming.
If they're on, I'll be late, if it's quiet, I'll be late."
Old 08-04-2014, 09:59 PM
Big Bream

There is no denying with magazines the advertisers pay the bills.

And they aren't going to pay the bills unless they get what they want.

My understanding is that most of the revenue for magazines producers comes from the advertisers. Subscribers and purchases make up a much smaller amount. BWJ might be able to give us more info on this.

I don't mind the writers spruiking there gear - but I would prefer to see it separated from the article. Have say an article on a trip or location or technique - followed by a gear advice section where the writer gives his opinions on the gear that he used. Or the gear could be detailed in the boxes throughout the article.

I don't like the way new products sections in some Magazines tends to masquerade as a series of reviews, when they are just a reproduction of the distributors blurb. There an advertisement so should look like an advertisement. If the section was titled "New Product Manufacturers Announcements" then its fine and useful to have a flick through.

Most times I have bought a Modern Fishing or Fishing World or Freshwater Fishing mag lately I tend to be disappointed. So I tend to rarely buy them nowdays. I do buy Flylife every quarter.

Crusty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breamingwithjoy View Post
Without giving too much away. There is a publication in the works that has full intention of giving you lot what you and apparently Mr Royter are asking for... Honest reviews.

I have been speaking with these guys for the last year or so as a bit of a consultant and this issue has been the biggest "must have" on my list of recommendations.

Having spent a few years on the inside of fishing mags and video production I can tell you the pressures come from every which way to ensure everyone's feelings are looked after. For the most part the guys I have worked with only ever wanted to publish the truth but commercial pressures have clipped their wings.

All I can say is watch this space over the next few months... Something is coming.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:17 PM
Big Bream

I think the fishing magazine trade has been very seriously challenged by material that is both freely available and mass-participatory on the internet - breammaster forums are a prime example.

As a budding young angler, I religiously purchased and read certain magazines (not always from this country), and they played an important part in my learning curve. But that was before the flourishing of the internet. Now i can google a query and in seconds be linked to numerous fishing oriented websites. If i want to learn a new knot, i do a google image search.

Further to this, i can come onto a forum like breammaster and have an instant dialogue with other passionate and knowledgeable anglers in an online community where the majority of participants are not pushing their company/sponsor's line - and if they are, we can all generally smell it. Advertisements are not as utterly forced onto my senses as they are through the endless ads that seem to make up the majority of a fishing magazine's content today.

As far as reviews go, i certainly enjoy those on the US tackletour site. But in terms of local context, the reviews through use that one can get via forums - where one generally knows there is no marketing-swindling going on - are where products really get a mass, thorough going over in a longer-term scenario. The SAS braid thread was a prime example of this.
So why would I buy a fishing magazine today in a world of numerous internet fishing forums, blogs with great photography and fishing based websites?

I would buy a fishing magazine for what may be harder to find in a single place on the internet: quality, extended writing by a range of fishing writers with field expertise and/or a talent for storytelling. I would buy this type of magazine to read on trains to work, to read when relaxing and not fishing, to take with me on fishing trips. For something like this i would most certainly pay extra so that purchases, and not utterly advertising, were both economically supporting the production of the magazine as well as supporting the writer payments. This would also guarantee a reportage that is unbiased by marketer-swindling or worrying about offending a possible advertiser with a bad review. As an aside, it seems absolutely ridiculous - and even insulting - that anyone should be paying to read advertisements. Now that is certainly an ingenious swindle!

Unfortunately, the quality of writing in most Australian magazines today is mass-pumped bilge compared to the kind of writing that folks like Vic McCristal and others once penned. Steve Starling is one of the few surviving writers who still seems to keep the craft and history of Australian fishing writing in mind while also trying to write for a mass audience.
Whether such a quality-based form of fishing magazine could be financially viable today is certainly a question, but there are precedents in many other magazine forms where yearly subscriptions provide a base. It is up to 'consumers' to make an informed choice to pay more so as to get better quality content with much less advertising and marketing bias.
Is it so utterly strange to think that someone could want to produce a magazine as a quality contribution to the Australian angling community, raising its standard of journalism and dialogue, instead of wanting to put out a magazine 'to make a quid' from fishing? Again, there are models in other areas for this, quality magazines that cost a little more but are not advertising monsters.
Apart from the 'I am paying to read 40 pages of advertisements' aspect of fishing mags, i really think the journalistic content needs to stop taking the marketing approach of dumbing down writing quality and content so as to 'reach the biggest market'. Fishos are not stupid cattle that only eat mechanically baled and sponsored hay, but have brains, are literate, internet adept and like spending meditative hours in nature pursuing fish, pumping large amounts of work hours into money that then gets sacrificed to the snaggy gods of fishing! Which is to say, fishing is an end in itself: we work so we can go fishing when free from work, we do not fish so we can just 'feel better' about going back to work. So give us some good content!
$_35.JPG

http://landbasedbarramundi.blogspot.com.au/
Old 08-04-2014, 11:45 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusty View Post
There is no denying with magazines the advertisers pay the bills.

And they aren't going to pay the bills unless they get what they want.

My understanding is that most of the revenue for magazines producers comes from the advertisers. Subscribers and purchases make up a much smaller amount. BWJ might be able to give us more info on this.

I don't mind the writers spruiking there gear - but I would prefer to see it separated from the article. Have say an article on a trip or location or technique - followed by a gear advice section where the writer gives his opinions on the gear that he used. Or the gear could be detailed in the boxes throughout the article.

I don't like the way new products sections in some Magazines tends to masquerade as a series of reviews, when they are just a reproduction of the distributors blurb. There an advertisement so should look like an advertisement. If the section was titled "New Product Manufacturers Announcements" then its fine and useful to have a flick through.

Most times I have bought a Modern Fishing or Fishing World or Freshwater Fishing mag lately I tend to be disappointed. So I tend to rarely buy them nowdays. I do buy Flylife every quarter.

Crusty
On a good magazine the break down of income was about 60% advertising 40% subs and coversales. This can change based on things like tipons (lures on the front of the mag etc...) which generally increase circulation and coversales but cost about $20k an issue to do so it is more about expanding reach for a halo effect in the next couple of issues.

I must say though that publishers are not ignorant to the perception but as you can well imagine with 60% of your revenue on the line the dollars can often sway the policies.

Adam like many people makes a valid criticism without offering an actual resolution to the issue.

Anyway I do my own reviews
If they're on, I'll be late, if it's quiet, I'll be late."
Old 08-04-2014, 11:53 PM
Blue Lip

mags are no different to this place - sponsors dictate what we can and can not talk about on here...

and for what - i dont see the admins driving around in BMW's....

far better to remove the sponsors and charge a small yearly user fee...

then people can say what they want to say plus it would keep annoying people off here.

i would gladly pay rowards site upkeep.

Last edited by bender; 08-04-2014 at 11:56 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:04 AM
Blue Lip

A bit hypocritical don't you think Mad Dog?
Never bite the hand that feeds you...Pretty much just sh!ting where he eats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
“3B’s are my baby. I’ve spent years perfecting sound, action, vibration and colour to create the best hard body lure you can get. Tie a 3B on, you won’t be disappointed!” Adam Royter
http://berkley-fishing.com.au/2011/0...s-new-colours/

expletive from blog removed.... "We all know that no single product has it all " Adam Royter (hang on, what about those 3Bs you spruiked?)

the best hard body lure you can get LMAO "..If it's sh!t, it's sh!t.." Adam Royter

"...This whole thing revolves around the dollar (like it was going to be any other way)...." Adam Royter
Haha, spot on Mark!
Old 09-04-2014, 03:02 AM
Blue Lip

This isn't the first rant Adam's done .. Im sure it wont be the last

Fish Tec Solutions

http://www.fish-tecsolutions.com/
Old 09-04-2014, 06:10 AM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexton View Post
A bit hypocritical don't you think Mad Dog?
Never bite the hand that feeds you...Pretty much just sh!ting where he eats.
Maybe hypocritical but is a guy not allowed to change his mind? The industry has changed a lot since he started writing. Yep he probably made good money writing and now he just does not feel right being shackled by a wholesalers dollar.

I can't knock the guy for that.

The amount of money these wholesalers spend on getting people / mags and so on to promote there product is ridiculous. I can't view a facebook page anymore without someone spamming with how good such and such is.

If they did not spend the millions on rubbish outdated marketing techniques maybe the products could be more affordable and not up twice the price of buying from japan or the US.

I can buy unitika braid from japan at less than half the price of a tackle stores buy price! What wrong with this picture?

And please don't tell me is the tackle stores fault. They get screwed as much as we do. They are expected by wholesalers to stock the latest and greatest but need to buy a heap of them to get any real margin. And even then they are better off selling 10 packets of bait. They would make the same money as selling a $500 rod so why bother with the risk of expensive stock.

At the end of the day the industry is dictated by the wholesalers. With millions of Aussies fishing should it not be dictated by us?
Old 09-04-2014, 07:05 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozfactory View Post
Maybe hypocritical but is a guy not allowed to change his mind? The industry has changed a lot since he started writing. Yep he probably made good money writing and now he just does not feel right being shackled by a wholesalers dollar.

I can't knock the guy for that.

The amount of money these wholesalers spend on getting people / mags and so on to promote there product is ridiculous. I can't view a facebook page anymore without someone spamming with how good such and such is.

If they did not spend the millions on rubbish outdated marketing techniques maybe the products could be more affordable and not up twice the price of buying from japan or the US.

I can buy unitika braid from japan at less than half the price of a tackle stores buy price! What wrong with this picture?

And please don't tell me is the tackle stores fault. They get screwed as much as we do. They are expected by wholesalers to stock the latest and greatest but need to buy a heap of them to get any real margin. And even then they are better off selling 10 packets of bait. They would make the same money as selling a $500 rod so why bother with the risk of expensive stock.

At the end of the day the industry is dictated by the wholesalers. With millions of Aussies fishing should it not be dictated by us?
He can change his mind all he wants mate.

I don't care about all the politics in fishing...Much rather concentrate on my fishing and getting out for a fish and enjoying it for what it is, rather then what it isn't.

Last edited by sexton; 09-04-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:15 PM
Blue Lip

Most likely all part of a plan for him to bring out his own mag that is all about honest reviews etc... Which will all be about how good Berkley, Gulp, Owner and his lures and rods are... I'd do that if someone would pay for me to do it.

I don't mind blatant advertising in mags, on tv, forums and facebook... you take it for what it is.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:58 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozfactory View Post
In a way it is being dictated by us the fisherman, wholesalers and aussie tackle chains will suffer because people like myself who buy the majority of their gear from the US or Japan because of the high prices and poor service from Aus companies and as far as magazines go I think they will be a thing of the past because they are nothing more than advertising/BS and the majority of smart fisherpeople know this and the same fate is for tackle chains that havent yet woken up to selling online
Old 10-04-2014, 12:14 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piranha View Post
Never heard of the fella personally but does he always play the game 'state the obvious' , can't wait till he lets people know that KFC is not health food
Too true,if you did know him and watch his act for awhile you'd soon realise he's pretty dicky and not funny which i think its supposed to be.
cheers nereus
Surface 39cm and work in progress
H/B mully 83cm and not so bitter
S/P mully 85cm on 4lb FC

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: