Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Getting Started

Getting Started If you’re new to the Sport then this is the forum for you.

Old 08-03-2018, 10:25 PM
Fingerling

a bit of help please

hi guys,
a few questions if i can please,i have done a bit of fishing in the past but really am probably the worst fisherman going around so hence the post.
i am really lucky to have yellow fin whiting literally swim straight past my door (twenty feet)and i have been getting a good feed of late with bait but would love to get into lures.
my reasons for this as the wife and i love caravanning and i thought not having to worry about bait all the time would be a huge plus.
so a few questions please i need a good 7' rod,a good lure and some even better advice.
i have a brand new shimano sedona 2500 in the cupboard and need to get a cheap spinning rod to suit.i just want to experiment first up. i have read about the bass day sugar pen hf119 but you just can't buy them ,any other ideas?
i have some 12 pound braid will that surfice?
another question please can someone explain what a leader is and how to set it up?
last but not least, the incoming tide travels right to left and i would like to cast from the left and retrieve to the right coming back against the tide would this be ok?
thanks a lot
paul
Old 09-03-2018, 02:18 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by budget View Post
hi guys,
a few questions if i can please,i have done a bit of fishing in the past but really am probably the worst fisherman going around so hence the post.
i am really lucky to have yellow fin whiting literally swim straight past my door (twenty feet)and i have been getting a good feed of late with bait but would love to get into lures.
my reasons for this as the wife and i love caravanning and i thought not having to worry about bait all the time would be a huge plus.
so a few questions please i need a good 7' rod,a good lure and some even better advice.
i have a brand new shimano sedona 2500 in the cupboard and need to get a cheap spinning rod to suit.i just want to experiment first up. i have read about the bass day sugar pen hf119 but you just can't buy them ,any other ideas?
i have some 12 pound braid will that surfice?
another question please can someone explain what a leader is and how to set it up?
last but not least, the incoming tide travels right to left and i would like to cast from the left and retrieve to the right coming back against the tide would this be ok?
thanks a lot
paul
Gday Paul - I've never fished for sand whiting but I've got a couple of King George on Gulp 6 inch worm.

While you are waiting for the Popper guys to reply - you might want to watch some of these youtube vids - Plenty of tips - And Judging by the presenters - they wont be shy on recommending some of shimano's finest popping out fits

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ing+on+poppers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9493.jpg (105.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 09-03-2018, 03:23 AM
Blue Lip

C264 is another good colour but to be honest any colour will do the job

Old 09-03-2018, 06:32 AM
Big Bream

Whats your budget for the rod? Sugapens are good but take a bit of work getting used to the technique. Poppers like the atomic pop 50 are also worth trying out. They track in a straight line and in my opinion make hooking up a bit easier. That new sugapen colour C264 looks great. If you are still after the hf119 they are available online. Sen me a pm and I'll give you the link. Last time I put a shops name up I got black marked so not sure Its allowed.

Last edited by DrLuvski; 09-03-2018 at 06:38 AM.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:18 AM
Blue Lip

Zipbaits skinny pop 70's would be worth a shot as well Regards HBt.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:03 PM
Big Bream

Gday paul,

I’ll answer a few of your other questions about geese set up, although others may have different thoughts. 12lb braid might be a bit more than you need. It depends on a manufacturer a bit as braid advertised as 12lb might actually break closer to 20 (hello Fins). I’d say 6-8lb will be fine.

A leader is a thin bit of (usually) fluorocarbon line you tie to the end of the braid. It’s clear and tends to be more supple so it helps a lot with finesse fishing as you’re less likely to scare the fish. You would typically have about 5 or so feet of it. You tie your lure to the end of it. I usually have it a lower breaking strain than the main line, but this varies from person to person and site to site. For example, you might want higher breaking strain if casting around rocks or oyster racks or anything else that’s a bit abrasive on the line.

Your idea Re the direction to cast is fine, although larger fish often sit their facing the current so your lure might be coming up behind them, so I’d mix it up. I don’t think it’s a matter of one way not working. id try your way and the other way and see what works. Doing it your way will prob be easier to control the lure though depending on how fast the current is.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:20 PM
Poddy Bream

Hi mate

I’ll do my best to assist but unfortunately I’ve yet to catch Whiting on lures, then again I’ve not put much effort in to it either.
What I do know is you’ll have a lot more fun with a 1-3kg rod, a 1000 size reel, I like the Shimano Sienna it’s cheap and a great reel. I think the lighter the line the better you’ll do, I would go 6lb braid with a 4lb leader. Unfortunately I don’t know what sort of leader would be best but I’d suggest a line that floats.

Your 2000 size reel will be awesome for Salmon, I used a 2500 last season and had no problems pulling in Salmon over 800. I also use a 2000 size reel when Bream fishing in heavy snags so I can skull drag them out of the snag before they wrap me up.

Good luck, tight lines and welcome to the site mate.

MHX 720 Custom 6'
Shimano Sienna 1000
Glide Reflections modified

RIP(on the bottom of the Collie River)
Shimano Bushy Lurelegend 5'10"
Daiwa Sweepfire 2500

Last edited by Collie Yak; 10-03-2018 at 09:23 PM.