Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Rods

Rods Get the goss on what’s hot, and what’s not...

Old 03-09-2018, 09:42 AM
Fingerling

Rod selection light 1-3kg

Hi all

Newby here, so be kind please.

I fish soft plastics for flathead and bream, though mainly flathead. I have been using a TK3G 3-6kg (paired with a stradic fk 4000), but it feels just a bit heavy. I am keen to get into lighter fishing as the flatties I am catching are never monsters and I feel it would increase enjoyment.

Can anyone suggest a lighter 1-3kg that would suit. Budget is $200-$300.

Thanks
Matho
Old 03-09-2018, 10:56 AM
Mature Bream

Check out the Daiwa Black Label range! they'll be at the top of your budget but they are sweet rods, with most suited towards plastics and vibes. Personally I have a 6102lfs 2-4kg rod that I use as a vibes/plastics rod for flatties that is somewhat stiff but ultra fast, most suited to vibes
Old 03-09-2018, 10:56 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Daiwa gen black v2 Scratchy 2 piece - is a nice rod.

I'm not sure if Mo's stiil has any in stock - but you should be able to find them somewhere for $150 which will leave you with $150 for a 2000 or 2500 sized reel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 993.jpg (78.5 KB, 325 views)
File Type: jpg 992.jpg (115.8 KB, 323 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 03-09-2018 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:16 PM
Fingerling

Thanks a lot for the replies. I will have a look at the Daiwa Gen Black...thanks for the tip.

I am happy to part with the full $300 and just get the very best rod I can for the money.

Keep the suggestions coming...

Thanks
Matho
Old 03-09-2018, 05:27 PM
Blue Lip

Bought a Shimano Zodias recently very nice rod.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:47 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matho View Post
Thanks a lot for the replies. I will have a look at the Daiwa Gen Black...thanks for the tip.

I am happy to part with the full $300 and just get the very best rod I can for the money.

Keep the suggestions coming...

Thanks
Matho
Yeah cool - what lb leader do you usually use for flathead - because I should have mentioned the GEN Black Scratchy 1-3kg has micro guides. These are a small diameter guide.

If you arent already using FG knots (skinniest knot known to man) - you better learn, if you plan to use a rod with micro guides

If you use other bulkier knots you will have problems casting anything over 6lb leaders.

With an FG - you can comfortably use 8lb leaders but knots start getting too bulky for my liking after that

Last edited by yellow door 1; 06-09-2018 at 10:58 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:18 PM
Big Bream

the 610 black label mentioned is a beast and is also quite a stiff rod, so to put a bend in it you need some half decent fish.
if your only catching 25-35cm flathead and similar sized bream then give it a miss and look at the itchy twitchy from daiwa TD black range. its a very versatile rod.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:51 AM
Big Bream

I would suggest a nordic stage sharpshooter. 7' , 2 piece and rated 4-8lb. Perfect for bream and flathead. Not available in the shops these days as the importer shut up shop. He still has a number of special edition rods available which have skeleton reel seats. Think they were $250. If you want one send me a message and I'll give you the contact details.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:50 AM
Fingerling

Thanks for the replies everyone.

@Yellow door - i am using 10lb leader currently when fishing flatties. So I suspect the micro guides my be a bit of trouble for me. I have not used these guides either, so it could be difficult to adjust.

TBH, I have not heard of the Nordic Stage, but more than willing to investigate that a bit more.

I have been digging around this site and there seems to be a bit of love for Nitro's. How would the Nitro's stack up against the Nordic Stage and Daiwa TD blacks?
Old 04-09-2018, 04:03 PM
Big Bream

. How would the Nitro's stack up against the Nordic Stage and Daiwa TD blacks?[/QUOTE]

Can't help you on that on as I've never used the Nitro or Daiwa rods. Heard good things about them both though.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:13 AM
Blue Lip

To lighten up the outfit also look at dropping the reel size. Something in the 2500 should handle it.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:08 AM
Fingerling

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren63 View Post
To lighten up the outfit also look at dropping the reel size. Something in the 2500 should handle it.
Yes, that is the plan.

I really want to get the rod first and will then balance it out with a new reel.

The stradic fk is a really nice reel but it might end up being an upgrade on that. I just need to convince the Treasury Dept (wife) to allow for a nice Stella (i wish)

Any Nitro owners out there that can comment on "Nitro v Nordic Stage v Daiwa TD blacks"? If Nitro is the better option, which Nitro do I go for?
Old 05-09-2018, 07:39 AM
Poddy Bream

Nitros would have to be the most overrated rods I've ever seen, blanks are average and the fit out is rubbish. Black label rods are great bang for buck, jump on Facebook and check out the daiwa enthusiasts page, if you can get a battler Beowulf, dont hesitate because they don't last long up for sale. Think theres one up for $350 at the moment, perfectly matched to a 25xx size reel.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:18 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofgloom View Post
Nitros would have to be the most overrated rods I've ever seen, blanks are average and the fit out is rubbish. Black label rods are great bang for buck, jump on Facebook and check out the daiwa enthusiasts page, if you can get a battler Beowulf, dont hesitate because they don't last long up for sale. Think theres one up for $350 at the moment, perfectly matched to a 25xx size reel.
When you say the Nitro blanks are average - what is it about them that you dont like - and are you talking about the Vapor series or the earlier generation.

I recently put 2, 10 year old Nitros into semi retirement and replaced them with Dawai Gen black v2's. The older generation Nitros definitely arent as crisp as the much newer Daiwas
Old 06-09-2018, 12:31 AM
Big Bream

I agree with thekingofgloom regarding the nitros. I would be looking at the daiwa td black/Gen black series or to throw a new one in the mix the atomic arrowz, just got them in at work and they're a great rod for the price. Come in at a shade over 200 but if you time a sale you can get them under 200.

Cheers Alex

Last edited by mazman; 06-09-2018 at 04:10 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: