Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Old 22-02-2018, 03:15 AM
Poddy Bream

Bemm River - again.

I am off to Bemm River again. I am busting to find out how the new 7'4" Salty Stage performs. This trip is a real mosh dive for me. I am taking 4 stiff (for me) rods. No long super fast ultra light "noodles".
Going up this Saturday returning Wednesday.

Some may notice a lot of edits. There is a reason. Every time I get to the end of a decent post Mozilla or the site freezes
Totally fed up with it so I will post and save after wvery para in future!!��

Last edited by 90sBlackjabiru; 22-02-2018 at 03:21 AM.
Old 22-02-2018, 06:06 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sBlackjabiru View Post
I am off to Bemm River again. I am busting to find out how the new 7'4" Salty Stage performs. This trip is a real mosh dive for me. I am taking 4 stiff (for me) rods. No long super fast ultra light "noodles".
Going up this Saturday returning Wednesday.

Some may notice a lot of edits. There is a reason. Every time I get to the end of a decent post Mozilla or the site freezes
Good luck mate, id be over the moon for a trip like that
run some extra long leader for some sort of give on the line if your worried.
cheers
Old 22-02-2018, 07:43 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Every time I get to the end of a decent post Mozilla or the site freezes
Write ya post in word first, then cut n paste hereabouts.
I've had similar issues in the past n rarely post direct unless its short

Its a work in progress
Old 22-02-2018, 08:16 PM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple5ive View Post
Good luck mate, id be over the moon for a trip like that
run some extra long leader for some sort of give on the line if your worried.
cheers
Thanks for that idea. I am retying fluro leaders and use 4m wih a FG.
Fished ANSA and learned the hard way however, your reminder is very timely thanks.

As an aside I was curious as to what weight would take these rods to their actial working curve.
Sorta like setting up the drag on game reels!

The Salty Stage flattens out at 8oz and the Poison at a few geams more.
I "tune" my drags by habit because no manufacturer installd optically flat washers. They go the fuzzy intermediate washer route to avoid the issues..

Bit pedantic but it passes the time and its nice to have a reel that is set up right from the start.

Cheers
Old 22-02-2018, 08:18 PM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK View Post
Write ya post in word first, then cut n paste hereabouts.
I've had similar issues in the past n rarely post direct unless its short
Excellent - thanks a lot.

Cheers
Old 24-02-2018, 03:06 AM
Poddy Bream

Well!
After an eight and a half hours and 551 km through Melbourne and its 50km of suburbs, endless 40km, 80km, 40km, 100km and then that repeated over and over all the way to Bairnsdale got my tent up just in time for this.................sob!😢😢
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180224_175707-1305x734.jpg (297.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 25-02-2018, 06:18 PM
Big Bream

yeah weather has been a bit shiteee down there past few days.
hopefully you got out and wet a line and the weather stays good for the rest of the trip.
cheers
Old 26-02-2018, 11:44 PM
Poddy Bream

Its now Tuesday afternoon and thats the end of the trio for me. Just start packing to get a 6am start in order to avoid the worst of the Melbourne traffic.

Saturday a wash out no fishing.
Sunday a wash out no fishing.
Monday blowing, overcast and rain showers but ventured out
Water dirty and no fish on the flats.
Managed just five sub 20cm bream on Jackal Squirrel
Tuesday light wind no cloud. Fished 2m + with vibe for six 32 -37cm the rest 27 - 32cm . Had to move move move as it would be that the hooked fish spooked the rest.
One mumma flathead 57m on a Ecogear vibe.

HB Vibe Tournament Baby Vibe 475 (assume its a Daiwa accounted for all the bigger fish.
Water is dicoloured due to sediment brought up by the strong winds.

The new rods were an education for me. Poisons were stand out and there is no way I would havemafe the numbers with my noodles.
Salty Stage is a blast used that on the HBVibe and it casts a mile.

Fish are stuffing around as if disinterested but go like trains when hooked.
They want the lure to sit still, inspect and pick. Commit to a take on the lift less than on the fall.
Not a single tailor..........brilliant!!
Old 27-02-2018, 01:53 AM
Big Bream

I reckon what they really need at Bemm, is a boat ramp that goes straight into the river somewhere near Dolly's Garden. As a fishing location, it is too dependent on the wind, or the lack thereof. The main lake cuts up very rough on even a mildly windy day. It would be great if there was a real alternative to be able to fish somewhere that's protected and out of the wind.

The last time I attempted to fish at Bemm River I sat watching the whitecaps on the lake for four days, before cracking the jimmybrits and heading back to Marlo. I did fish the river from the bank, but the access is terrible. It might be okay if you want to soak some bait, but for a lure fisherman, it sucks.

At least you had one good day, so it could have been worse. It just so happened, I was at Marlo for a week very recently too. I left to come home just last Sunday. That heavy rain and wind on Saturday wrecked my camp and everything was wet. My fishing results were similar to yours in a way. I had one good day in which I caught a few good bream and every other day was a write-off, apart from a hundred or so pesky chopper tailor which were everywhere.
Old 27-02-2018, 04:24 AM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windknot View Post
I reckon what they really need at Bemm, is a boat ramp that goes straight into the river somewhere near Dolly's Garden. As a fishing location, it is too dependent on the wind, or the lack thereof. The main lake cuts up very rough on even a mildly windy day. It would be great if there was a real alternative to be able to fish somewhere that's protected and out of the wind.

The last time I attempted to fish at Bemm River I sat watching the whitecaps on the lake for four days, before cracking the jimmybrits and heading back to Marlo. I did fish the river from the bank, but the access is terrible. It might be okay if you want to soak some bait, but for a lure fisherman, it sucks.

At least you had one good day, so it could have been worse. It just so happened, I was at Marlo for a week very recently too. I left to come home just last Sunday. That heavy rain and wind on Saturday wrecked my camp and everything was wet. My fishing results were similar to yours in a way. I had one good day in which I caught a few good bream and every other day was a write-off, apart from a hundred or so pesky chopper tailor which were everywhere.
They have apparently put in two new fishing platforms on the river with footpath access. Was looking at it from the yak access viewpoint. Would need a light yak and sand whees...but its doable.
Old 27-02-2018, 06:04 PM
Big Bream

man, thats a lot of effort.
well done on the fish though on the days you got to actually fish
bemm can be a hard place to fish when the weather is DohDohDohDoh like that.

my mate was at marlo and reported the same with the fish, the long pause with the lure in the midsurface areas were what the fish wanted.
Old 27-02-2018, 09:20 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
They have apparently put in two new fishing platforms on the river with footpath access. Was looking at it from the yak access viewpoint. Would need a light yak and sand whees...but its doable.
I'll check them out, the next time I'm there. Apparently, you can launch kayaks up next to the bridge (on the other side), but it didn't look all that attractive to me, mainly because at that time I was using a big heavy yak and it just looked too steep and too difficult.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: