Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Lines

Lines Fireline vs the rest…who wins?

Old 14-11-2017, 02:00 AM
Poddy Bream

Sunline PE x8

Spooled up my 2500 Stradic with some Orange 10lb and pretty disappointed with it after my first fish. Fished for a few hours and had 2 wind knots and heaps of loose loops, had to really concentrate on line management on a pretty still day

Was throwing around small hard bodies

Sales guy talked me out of the 10lb Castaway(which I love) gave me the spiel about it winning at AFTA so I thought I’d give it a go as it’s cheaper.

Hoping it “wears in” after a few more fishes. Is anyone else using it and how’s it working for you?
Old 14-11-2017, 04:33 AM
Poddy Bream

Have the 8lbs on my saros 2500

I dont fish hard as many of you guys, but i do not have issues with wind knots
Old 14-11-2017, 04:51 AM
Blue Lip

Yeah, my mate has it on his saltist in 50lb. I had to un-do several windknots for him whilst fishing a breakwall this morning. I was using J-braid alongside him and to be perfectly honest it outperformed the sunline.
Old 14-11-2017, 05:37 PM
Mature Bream

Winning afta means nothing!
Old 14-11-2017, 08:13 PM
Blue Lip

unless its super stiff, loose loops isn't the line's issue
Old 14-11-2017, 09:47 PM
Mature Bream

Been using 8lb PE8 on a 2500 stradic for a year or two, not one problem. I have a habit of using my rod holding hand to always keep tension on the line as it is wound in though.
Old 15-11-2017, 12:22 AM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brams View Post
Winning afta means nothing!
This!

Its just what the people at the show vote for before they are even tested
Old 15-11-2017, 02:17 AM
Blue Lip

"wind knots" are just poor line management .. I use 8lb and love the stuff.
Old 15-11-2017, 10:04 AM
Blue Lip

Exactly , poor line lay causes 99% of casting knots .

Load your line in a slight \___/ shape and you will eliminate
all your tangles .

Dont overload the spool .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3642.JPG (76.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 15-11-2017, 05:44 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender View Post
Exactly , poor line lay causes 99% of casting knots .

Load your line in a slight \___/ shape and you will eliminate
all your tangles .

Dont overload the spool .
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr perch View Post
"wind knots" are just poor line management .. I use 8lb and love the stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscateur View Post
unless its super stiff, loose loops isn't the line's issue
As someone who has waxed lyrical about line management on this forum over the years I understand the sentiment, however I must say that this line requires an above average level of management, at least in the 50lb variant. In all honesty, it feels a lot like Fins to me. The strands are very loosely woven and the braid pulls apart very easily and bunches up unevenly at the knot. It's just plain bad.
Old 15-11-2017, 11:02 PM
Big Bream

I just wish I had seen this post before buying and having the store put it on my reel . Sunline PE 4 lb yeah I wanted to try a lighter line . In a week I used it three times first time no issue perfect. Second trip suddenly when casting were they wind knots two in a row on the braid went to unpick them line snapped off in my hand tied leader on caught a salmon trout after that it broke off . Went home checked the line seemed fine tied the leader on third trip was fine landed a small mullet on a plastic no issue at all . Decided to go back to my car had a very light drag pulled the braid out of the spool for length and braid a fair distance away from my leader broke . Decided there was an issue 7 days after buying it and getting it put on I took my reel back with docket . One worker said no never heard of issues young one said he’d never touch it to fish bream and of course it didn’t snap no issues they couldn’t do a thing I had then strip the line paid for a different brand which I tried today one wind knot fixed no issue cast great . But that sunline after they stripped it off oh it was abrasive in spots you’ve fished in areas with rocks and sticks . Honestly it’s not my first rodeo that brand new 4 lb sunline was exactly the same as a line that was old and past it .
Sorry for the long post but I will never buy or use sunline again .
Softplastic Bream 36cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Old 16-11-2017, 10:00 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickyj View Post
I just wish I had seen this post before buying and having the store put it on my reel . Sunline PE 4 lb yeah I wanted to try a lighter line . In a week I used it three times first time no issue perfect. Second trip suddenly when casting were they wind knots two in a row on the braid went to unpick them line snapped off in my hand tied leader on caught a salmon trout after that it broke off . Went home checked the line seemed fine tied the leader on third trip was fine landed a small mullet on a plastic no issue at all . Decided to go back to my car had a very light drag pulled the braid out of the spool for length and braid a fair distance away from my leader broke . Decided there was an issue 7 days after buying it and getting it put on I took my reel back with docket . One worker said no never heard of issues young one said he’d never touch it to fish bream and of course it didn’t snap no issues they couldn’t do a thing I had then strip the line paid for a different brand which I tried today one wind knot fixed no issue cast great . But that sunline after they stripped it off oh it was abrasive in spots you’ve fished in areas with rocks and sticks . Honestly it’s not my first rodeo that brand new 4 lb sunline was exactly the same as a line that was old and past it .
Sorry for the long post but I will never buy or use sunline again .
I had a very similar issue with 2 spools of PE (not the 8 strand). One was 6lb and the other was 8lb. I lost quite a few decent fish and also lost 6 lures. 4 of them snapped off on casting. Talked to a store and they had seen it before. The company nor the store I bought it from would acknowledge there was any issues and refused a refund. I told them to take it for testing and even showed them how I could just break it at will in my hands.

I have the pe8 on 3 reels. I am not sold on it, had some wind knots which can be eliminated if you reel it back on tight each couple of hours fishing. I can live with that but the thing I really haven't liked is that I have found it difficult to get an FG knot to hold really well. It doesn't seem to bite into the leader very well for me probably due to it's slick round profile. I have tried 4 different leader brands and various weights and it still seems a problem. For those who will say that it's my technique, I have never had this problem using any other brand or type of braid before this one.
Old 17-11-2017, 12:02 AM
Mature Bream

I use Fg knot with 8lb PE8 and 6-8lb leader (nitlon or fc rock), never had a single one fail and caught jewies to 80cm landbased. Maybe there are some bad batches of the stuff?? When using finer braids I finish the fg with 3 half hitches but the middle one i give an extra wrap like a double granny.
Old 17-11-2017, 12:49 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb2020 View Post
I use Fg knot with 8lb PE8 and 6-8lb leader (nitlon or fc rock), never had a single one fail and caught jewies to 80cm landbased. Maybe there are some bad batches of the stuff?? When using finer braids I finish the fg with 3 half hitches but the middle one i give an extra wrap like a double granny.
I can't remember if it happens on all 3 or just 1 of the lines. I haven't done a lot of spin fishing last 18 months, mainly fly fishing.

I ended up tying a uni knot to finish it off and some CA glue as well. I can't 100% remember if that fixed my issues or not. I will have to blow the cobwebs off the spin gear and test it out
Old 17-11-2017, 04:19 AM
Big Bream

I use a single uni knot started tying that in my salt water fly fishing days
Tackle store didn’t like the single one
I’ve landed schoolies on bream gear 6 lb braid 6 lb mono using a single uni knot
I have now changed it slightly they said fine line use 10 to 12 braid going over the mono it worked so far
Softplastic Bream 36cm
Fly Bream 30cm

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: