Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Reels

Reels Who’s using what, find out in here.

Closed Thread

Old 14-07-2013, 07:13 AM
Mature Bream

As far as long life of a fishing reel comes my opinion is how you look after them.a $250 reel looked after and serviced will last you a life time.i fish 3 to 4 times a week in succession as I live near the water and my tackle is working fine
Old 15-07-2013, 06:19 AM
Blue Lip

finally saw one in the flesh today @ fishing and outdoor world. didn't get to have a play as I had the wife with me, but man they look sweet. will be going back for a 2nd look before I leave for sure!!!
Old 15-07-2013, 07:12 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagz View Post
finally saw one in the flesh today @ fishing and outdoor world. didn't get to have a play as I had the wife with me, but man they look sweet. will be going back for a 2nd look before I leave for sure!!!
I saw some down at my local the other day, they do look very nice. Might get one out of the cabinet for a play next time I'm there.
Old 16-07-2013, 10:59 PM
Blue Lip

In regards to Alan Hawk's review, our Australian product manager has read Alan Hawk's review in full. While Alan state's that there is some negatives in his opinion, he does also state that the reel has performed faultlessly on countless fish for a long period of time. Shimano does not deny there is a small amount of rotor play, but the video that Alan Hawk has posted exaggerates the play if you watch his thumb moving on the rotor arm. Shimano Japan is currently studying this review and all the negatives and positives that have been quoted and will have answers regarding Alan Hawks opinions in the near future which will be shared on the Shimano Australia Facebook page.
Rest assured these are quality reels that have stringently been tested on large fish and heavy loads even in Australian waters and have proved more than adequate for the job. Thanks

This is shimano austrlalias reply on Facebook to alan hawks review of the new stella.
Can't believe they aren't denying the rotor play.

I can feel my daiwa fanboy inner spirit slowly regaining its foot hold on my soul lol
Old 17-07-2013, 07:45 PM
Mature Bream

I think people are missing the point here, its not necessarily a durability issue.
A Toyota corolla is durable, and a few rattles and funny panel gaps aren't going to bother you because of the price. If you bought a BMW and it rattled and had dodgy panel gaps you'd be asking for a refund.

Paying that much for a reel you expect it to operate like a Swiss watch, which by all accounts the previous model did. Why the issues with the new model?
Old 17-07-2013, 08:31 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meh? View Post
I think people are missing the point here, its not necessarily a durability issue.
A Toyota corolla is durable, and a few rattles and funny panel gaps aren't going to bother you because of the price. If you bought a BMW and it rattled and had dodgy panel gaps you'd be asking for a refund.

Paying that much for a reel you expect it to operate like a Swiss watch, which by all accounts the previous model did. Why the issues with the new model?
Exactly the point I made to shimano.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagz View Post
In regards to Alan Hawk's review, our Australian product manager has read Alan Hawk's review in full. While Alan state's that there is some negatives in his opinion, he does also state that the reel has performed faultlessly on countless fish for a long period of time. Shimano does not deny there is a small amount of rotor play, but the video that Alan Hawk has posted exaggerates the play if you watch his thumb moving on the rotor arm. Shimano Japan is currently studying this review and all the negatives and positives that have been quoted and will have answers regarding Alan Hawks opinions in the near future which will be shared on the Shimano Australia Facebook page.
Rest assured these are quality reels that have stringently been tested on large fish and heavy loads even in Australian waters and have proved more than adequate for the job. Thanks

This is shimano austrlalias reply on Facebook to alan hawks review of the new stella.
Can't believe they aren't denying the rotor play.

I can feel my daiwa fanboy inner spirit slowly regaining its foot hold on my soul lol
lol that was my post, my response was as stated above. I don't think shimano will leave the issues unresolved.
Old 18-07-2013, 05:26 PM
Mature Bream

If any reel manufacture is going to make a high end reel and charge top dollar that reel better deliver.$800 isn't chump change.in saying that I have used a friends one and they are a great real but not worth the money in my opinion
Old 20-07-2013, 05:49 PM
Big Bream

Interesting review!

I've thoroughly tested my 5000XG out on a heap of big fish and I can confidently say it is the best reel I own. The drag is awesome, especially on a big fish, and when compared to my mates 4000H saltiga, there's no comparison.

Out of interest, I locked my drag up and tied my line to a tree and pulled back and checked the rotor, no matter which way I pulled, (including winding while heavy load) was there any way that could have affected the reels performance.
Old 20-07-2013, 09:38 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukereneeseth View Post
seems a bit of foul play in Alan's review. ive done heaps of goggling over the weeks and seen nothing but very happy people. theres another ^^^^
What on earth "seems a bit foul play" to you? I hope to god that your not seriously suggesting that Allan Hawks review and there for reputation must be a fraud because...hold on everyone... IVE DONE SOME GOOGLING!!!??
Old 21-07-2013, 03:57 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukereneeseth View Post
Nix88 - I think it more providing a reel that performs with the best as well as providing the reliability and longevity of that performance. your not just paying for a "great reel" but with regular service and home maintenance a reel that performs at its best 10 years from now. For Shimano to make that reel the Stella SW is that one. Ive known a few blokes that have had Stella SW's for a few years now and say they've caught well over 1000 ton of fish from sharks to tuna and still a great reel they feel no need to sell, upgrade or try anything else. To break it down that's only $200 a year so far and if they were to sell them now to upgrade to the new stella they would get $500 easy for the 10000SW; only loosing $400 which is $100 lose over each year.
ive lost over $400 just in the last year on 3 reels I bought and sold within 9 months of use on all 3. it does seem expensive but I guess if you can save for the best you never have to think about all these new reels coming out and chopping and changing (well I do anyway). A reel that should perform better for a lot longer than the rest and at the end of the day its not a big lose come time to sell.
fair enough and i see your point
Old 21-07-2013, 05:34 AM
Blue Lip

" why make such a huge deal of shaft and rotor play like your world has just ended; throughout the whole review yet turn around and say it will not affect the longevity, the reel is immensely strong, went for maximum rigidity and undoubtably achieved it, reliability is unquestionable, etc. How can a reel that has soooo much play throughout the main parts that take the whole brunt of fishing (main shaft, rotor and spool) yet still come out in the conclusion as a tough as nails unbreakable reel??? "

BECAUSE IT COSTS OVER $1000 AND THAT S#&T JUST AIN'T ON!!!
The fact of the matter here is that there shouldn't be play, end of story. The 08 stella had none, so why should the 13? You can buy bullet proof reels that are as tough as a stella, will last just as long, and catch as many fish for $250 eg; the okuma salina, and you can expect to find fault at that price, so why the hell would someone bother buying a reel that costs $1K more? REFINEMENT, FLAWLESSNESS, RELIABILITY. Play in a shaft/rotor is not those three things.

" so I went into 3 different tackle stores on Saturday and took the spool off 4 SW20000 after watching the "shaft" video about 15 times and not a single one had movement like that in the display, so what does that say???
maybe this is what happens after fighting 180lb blue fine tuna and the likes of; manipulating the plastics bushing? "

Why the hell would you write a comment like this that directly contradicts your previous argument? Quit being a fanboy.
Old 21-07-2013, 07:07 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
Settle down ladies it's just a fishing reel.....
NO! Someone on the internet is wrong and needs correcting
Old 21-07-2013, 07:09 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by manno View Post
And just a Shimano one at that......
agreed its a shimano just leave it at that guys no biggy
Old 21-07-2013, 07:11 AM
Blue Lip

I'm only a fanboy of stuff that works or looks pretty. I have no loyalty to any brands, or models, only that which meet certain standards, hence the name stella fella, the comments to shimano and the attitude towards shimano cocking up what was my favourite reel.
Old 21-07-2013, 07:21 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by manno View Post
And just a Shimano one at that......
Quote:
Originally Posted by stella fella View Post
I'm only a fanboy of stuff that works or looks pretty. I have no loyalty to any brands, or models, only that which meet certain standards, hence the name stella fella, the comments to shimano and the attitude towards shimano cocking up what was my favourite reel.
Mate have you even picked one up?? let alone fished with one????
Closed Thread