Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Boats > Motors

Motors Get the low down on which outboards perform best…

Old 03-01-2015, 10:08 PM
Mature Bream

engine rebuild cost???

gday all just want to know how much it would cost to rebuild a 30 horsepower out board round abouts??? it doesnt sound good.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:36 AM
Mature Bream

It would be dependant on model, age and hours for a full rebuild where you replace or refurbish most parts in the gearbox and engine. Parts required, machining required and labour time wouldnt be fully known til it was in pieces. If its running badly and isn't 30 years old with 3000+ hours a full rebuild probably wont be required, just retification of the problem. Whats it doing? Sounds or vibrations? Any particular rev range? Is it in the engine or gearbox? Your having some bad luck with the gearbox seal then this, or is it possible it was something the mechanic didn't do quite right?

Last time I did internal engine work to an outboard was almost 9 years ago when I modified a 50hp tohatsu on my thundercat for more power so prices probably changed a bit. 3 pistons with rings and gudgeon pin were about $80 each, gasket kit was around $130, machining was a few hundred and did the labour myself. In your situation though I'd narrow it down to subassemblies of a head, internal or gearbox fault and work from there. Once you know how bad it is you can look at what do with the subassembly such as rebuilding , buying secondhand off a wreck, new from dealer etc.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:11 PM
Mature Bream

thanks for the reply,the motor is a 2006 mercury 30hp i was three quarters of the way home and lost horsepower and came to a halt i managed to get it to start again and limp home, i tried to start it yesterday but it doesnt sound good when it winds over can hear some noise coming from the engine, yeah not real impressed with the mechanic atm he even sent me a bill for work id already paid for. thanks again.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:08 AM
Mature Bream

What did you have to do to restart it on the water? Just heaps of cranking over, prime fuel bulb etc? How low was your fuel tank and hows your filters and water separators, plastic tank or underfloor? Is it a metal on metal noise when you turn it over, rhythmic etc? You can turn the engine by hand to slow down the speed and reduce any potential damage.

Yeah havent found many good outboard people. They are all good with the standard impellor, plugs and oil service but go see them with something out of the ordinary and they struggle.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:54 AM
Mature Bream

Sorry to Hijack - SucbaScott did you gain much from the mods you did?
Old 05-01-2015, 02:51 AM
Big Bream

Have a look at Parsun.

They do rebuild kits.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:01 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyfish View Post
Sorry to Hijack - SucbaScott did you gain much from the mods you did?
Yeah it did make a difference to the power levels, the thundercat dealer reckons the mod kit he sold me which had new pistons, carbs, valves/springs plus revving to 6500rpm reckons it adds another 25hp. Its a fair bit of mucking around to get it running right, but the race class was limited to 50hp so I was stuck with modifying the engine. Some boats flew past me, no idea what mods they had. Most outboards of a class (say 25/30/40hp) are the same capacity and internals but have different fuelling and carbs for the different power levels.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:43 AM
Mature Bream

harsh language and a cigga....checked the breather still open checked the fuel level still at least seven litres of fresh premium fuel, reprimed the fuel bulb that was full yeah and lots of cranking till i got going, yeah its a plastic tank i cleaned fuel filter turned it over by hand today and theres definite clunk there doesnt feel good.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:21 AM
Mature Bream

Not good if its clunking, but if its still running its got hope. Im guessing its premixed not oil injected, I was told by a yamaha dealer not to run premium in my 2 stroke becuase the oil doesn't suspend properly, but not sure how correct it is. If you can narrow down the sound by ear might save you some dollars with the mechanic. Sussing out if it clunks once or twice per revolution can give possible clues to what the problem may be.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:56 AM
Mature Bream

yeah premixed not injected, still looking for a mechanic and the money, thanks again.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: