Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Setting Up Your Gear

Setting Up Your Gear Drop in here for tips on setting up your rod, reel, line, leader etc.

Old 04-02-2016, 07:45 PM
Mature Bream

1st Mallacoota trip-Thank-you Chartered Waters!

Although I've spent a little bit of time up at the top end of the Mallacoota system when I've camped at Wallagaraugh Retreat, the area around the Bottom Lake was basically new territory for me. In mid January we were lucky enough to score a waterfront site at the Foreshore Caravan Park and a boat mooring just a few meters away. To make it even better we found we were camped beside a couple of groups from our home town and the kids had friends to play with and keep them occupied. Bonus!

I know I'm preaching to the converted, but fishing the Bottom Lake at Mallacoota during January would have to be the worst possible time to be there in terms of successful fishing! There were boats everywhere! Whilst I always like to get away early when I fish, I had to be really early (4.30am!) to beat the crowds and get a bit of a fish while it was quiet. I was also hoping for some surface action before light. (All I got were tailor) The perils in going out before light in an area that you don't know and is riddled with sand bars are obvious. Particularly when there was no moon. Just prior to the trip I'd bought a Chartered Waters map card of Mallacoota and that was my saviour! The detail was incredible! I could just turn on the sounder and sneak around knowing where the channels and bars were. That is one piece of kit!

Anyway, the reason I'm posting this in the "Setting Up Your Gear" forum rather than the "Brag Board" is that I have nothing to brag about. I got a few bream but the biggest was only just under 40cm and although I got a lot of flatties they were mostly under 45cm and nothing to brag about. I've always said that the success of a fishing trip should never be judged by the number of fish you catch and that has never been truer than our Mallacoota trip. The weather, location and people were all excellent and that made up for what was a relatively lean fishing experience. The other bonus is that we scored the same camp site for next year! Anyway, if you haven't checked out the Chartered Waters mapping options, do it!
Old 04-02-2016, 08:01 PM
Big Bream

One place you can have a look next year mate that I've always had success at that doesn't have a lot of boat traffic is right at the end of the bottom lake past Fairhaven and up near the MLC school. For the last couple of km's it's only about 60cm of water even in the small marked channel. Always had early morning success their on bream and flatties right up the end just before it turns into the small creek at that leads to the girls school.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:11 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Curve View Post
One place you can have a look next year mate that I've always had success at that doesn't have a lot of boat traffic is right at the end of the bottom lake past Fairhaven and up near the MLC school. For the last couple of km's it's only about 60cm of water even in the small marked channel. Always had early morning success their on bream and flatties right up the end just before it turns into the small creek at that leads to the girls school.
Thanks mate! It always takes a few days to suss a place out. I did get a few on the north side of Goodwin Sands and judging by the number of boats that were always anchored around there, the bait fishos must get a few there. Because I had some moderate success at that spot I tended not to travel to other places much. Next year I'll try the more remote places.