Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Old 27-02-2018, 07:07 PM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarner447 View Post
you should have seen this place a few years ago mate , it was an awesome place to be and welcome to the forum.
Cheers, and thanks for the welcome. I've always enjoyed the Fisho crowd - a friendly and helpful bunch. Where else can you go up to a complete stranger and start up a conversation as you do quite often when you rock up to a fishing spot and find other guys there? I did this last sunday down at Brunswick Heads and the bloke was a fellow Kiwi and it turned out we had grown up in similar places and had a great convo.

Btw, the river at Brunswick Heads is all brown because of the recent rains and the bream are feeding big time. Caught a monster bream - didn't get a photo though, as I would have posted it here. Heading down again today.

Last edited by Felofasofa; 27-02-2018 at 07:47 PM. Reason: typo
Old 27-02-2018, 07:12 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felofasofa View Post
Cheers, and thanks for the welcome. I've always enjoyed the Fisho crowd - a friendly and helpful bunch. Where else can you go up to a complete stranger and start up a conversation as you do quite often do when you rock up to a fishing spot and find other guys there? I did this last sunday down at Brunswick Heads and the bloke was a fellow Kiwi and it turned out we had grown up in similar places and had a great convo.

Btw, the river at Brunswick Heads is all brown because of the recent rains and the bream are feeding big time. Caught a monster bream - didn't get a photo though, as I would have posted it here. Heading down again today.
Good stuff mate

Proudly Supported by :

Nordic Stage Rods
Old 27-02-2018, 09:09 PM
Mature Bream

Secret Spots

Interesting thread, I haven't been around here in a very long time but first started lurking in 2003. I've seen the site in its glory days and everything inbetween. For me one of the big losses to the site was fishing reports and technique discussions. People used to be really keen to share info and postpictures and share the knowledge they'd amassed through hours on the water. It then seemd the site got too big for its own good with less desirables lurking around and working out the spots guys had spent hours working out and fishing them to death and taking all the fish.

I can remember coming on breammaster to see where the bite was hot before heading out for a fish. Now this never happens and for good reason. I have seen spots suddenly crawling with fisherman after a good post on BM. Its a real shame but I don't really know how it can be helped.

The site has also lost a few of its real characters. I think its a natural progression thing but I can remember when WA had a vibrant group of larikin anglers constantly ripping on each other and trying to out-do one another. Perhaps it will come back or perhaps those sorts of groups are confined to Instagram and Facebook these days.

I've beeen out of fishing for almost 2 years now due to work and life commitments but just recently I've really got the bug again. I plan to get out there and get some content worthy of the posts that really sparked my interest beck in my early fishing career. The first hurdle is going to be catching some fish of note!
Old 27-02-2018, 09:50 PM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbream View Post
I have seen spots suddenly crawling with fisherman after a good post on BM. Its a real shame but I don't really know how it can be helped.
Hmmm, further to a previous post of mine. There are no fish at Brunswick Heads. I hear they've all gone up to Tweed Heads.....
Old 27-02-2018, 09:12 PM
Big Bream

I don't like to think that it actually died. It's just a bit sick, that's all.

In my mind, the problems started when we had lots and lots of technical problems at the site. It was out of action for ages. Many people just gave up on it. I know I nearly did.

This has been compounded by the plethora of Facebook fishing pages that are currently out there. Many members are now getting their fishing 'fix' on Facebook. It's pretty much the same for all forum sites, Facebook is taking over, to a degree. However, Facebook will never be able to provide the information that a proper forum site, like Bream Master can, as the Facebook pages are just a hodgepodge of random posts, posted one day and mostly never looked at again. They don't have any order or longevity. It's difficult to use them as a research tool, unlike a proper forum site.

Hopefully Bream Master will regain some of its former glory. We need to see more fishing reports and more nitty gritty stuff about how to catch bream under adverse conditions.

We have a few die hards, who have nursed the site along through the hard times and my thanks goes out to them.
Old 27-02-2018, 09:25 PM
Mature Bream

Facebook does have a bit to answer for but as you state it can't compete as a resource when compared to a well managed forum. Facebook had their first quarter of reduced use last quarter and I think thats asign of whats to come. Even the might Book isn't to big to fail and with feeds becoming a series of silly video's and advertising I think Facebook is on the wane.

Hopefully with some good fishing reports and some technical info Breammaster can return to its former glory.
Old 27-02-2018, 10:48 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarner447 View Post
you should have seen this place a few years ago mate , it was an awesome place to be and welcome to the forum.
Absolutely. Ive tried of late giving my time and materials to do a few write ups - to whatever degree its helped who knows?

Anyhow its getting harder for me to post up stuff - even on FB.

We'll see how it goes? I may have a new gig soon so either way i guess.
Old 28-02-2018, 12:02 AM
Poddy Bream

I joined to share things bream fishing, and things place and tackle. Amongst a group that can in general spell and dont rely on obscene comment to make a point.

I owned and operated a Tackle shop for a number of years. The main reason I gave it away was the retarded, the ignorant and the illiterate bogans that now domiate in fishing.

Time was folks fished for a feed and cos they loved the sport. Today its a way to parade newfound wealth as demonstrated by the silly prices on some rods and reels for example.

Before the top enders still on this forum get too offended that label and its implication come from current Brand marketers. They complain that the Aussie market has been hijacked by this mob, for which they are truly grateful.

So if the above has any real veracity what does that have to do with our current menbership?

Here I venture to express "opinion"

Measured, fact base discourse puts them off, they simply do not understand at ANY level. Its dull and too detailed to take in. With the attention span of a fly getting in and on is too hard. Their mates too find it above their ability so dont join up. If your mates are not on it a persons audience is limited to a bunch of folks that will just tell them to grow up.

If I have not alienated all the remaining members I am happy to debate, however, I have been assiciated with the 'industry' and customsrs for a very long time and carry considerable adverse feelings about the majority of those attracted to the bogan opportinism offered by the alternative platforms.

I would hope this forum will prosper at least for as long as I can continue to fish, and live in hope that we are not sucked into pandering to the mob for survival.
Old 28-02-2018, 03:10 AM
Administrator

There was a stage where many posts were being deleted by the original poster, it was often blamed on the mods yet under investigation it was often the OP, for what reason I am still unaware however it was happening all too regularly and quite often on very active and interesting threads.
Old 28-02-2018, 03:35 AM
Big Bream

I came across the site when I started fishing a few years ago. I've had a lot of help/advice and learned a lot from searching the older threads. The only negative is that its led me down the path of buying too many rods and reels Hopefully it keeps going as in my opinion offers a lot more than the facebook pages around do. It seems to be a bit more active recently which looks like good news.
Old 28-02-2018, 08:06 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLuvski View Post
I came across the site when I started fishing a few years ago. I've had a lot of help/advice and learned a lot from searching the older threads. The only negative is that its led me down the path of buying too many rods and reels Hopefully it keeps going as in my opinion offers a lot more than the facebook pages around do. It seems to be a bit more active recently which looks like good news.
+1 ... and well said . Regards, HBt.
Old 28-02-2018, 03:50 AM
Mature Bream

Smile

I blame Broomstick. When he was posting it was always interesting and he inspired others to post their trip reports with quality photos. Even if he spent 5 days fishing the other side of the country for a toady and a pb leatherjacket there was always a good photo of Luna. Then, gradually the trip reports made way for others posting about the pros and cons of getting the reel handle of their $900 bream special painted fushcia but then changed colour in particular light. There seemed to be a lot of emphasis on the gear, more so than the catching, techniques, locations etc.
I used to log on multiple times a day to see what was happening but now it's more like weekly. It's a shame, I learnt a lot and was inspired to get pretty serious about the sport but now find myself chasing kingfish and other species (with very little success).
Hey, I like gear too, but a few people seemed to lose perspective about what it was all about.
I'm getting the band back together in a couple of weeks and hope to post a trip report soon.
Old 28-02-2018, 04:15 AM
Dead Set Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol View Post
I'm getting the band back together in a couple of weeks and hope to post a trip report soon.
http://www.breammaster.com/forum/sho...threadid=68112

Good luck
Old 01-03-2018, 06:06 AM
Blue Lip

bream have died in the arse in sa.....slaughtered
cheers nereus
Surface 39cm and work in progress
H/B mully 83cm and not so bitter
S/P mully 85cm on 4lb FC
Old 01-03-2018, 07:23 AM
Fingerling

Thanks Ian. I guess you have to make the error first before the option comes up to reset which is a bit different to modern logins that show the option to retrieve the ID or password before entry.