Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Reels

Reels Who’s using what, find out in here.

Old 20-10-2009, 08:17 PM
Mature Bream

Grey Gekka

About 4 months ago I noticed a 08 model Saltist Gekkabijin 2004 on ebay and ended up winning it for a reasonable price. The reel was not in great condition cosmetically but at least everything was good with the inside. After contacting a guy that had serviced a couple of my reels I asked him to strip the reel and give me the body parts. Then began the boring research on what Daiwa's "Zaion" material was made from, finally working out that it must translate to "Plastic" in some weird made up language!!! First off the body was completely stripped using timed baths in brake fluid as this was the easiest option without removing any material from the frame ... I'll let you know how it holds up for strength. After washing, drying & masking, I used 2 coats of an automotive plastic primer, then 2 coats of grey primer and left for about 2 days. The side plate being aluminum was sanded with a 400 grit and primed with an etch primer. Applying the metallic grey colour coat was quite easy, I went for the "Squirts" range made by PPG and it sprayed out really nice at only $8 a can. I put a light mist coat on first then 2 wet coats to get some coverage. After the colour had dried I sprayed about 3 coats of clear and left to harden for about 2 weeks. Then came "brown trousers" time when I had to sand the clear coat and buff it out with some cutting compound ... I won't go into detail but I've stripped, sanded, painted and clear coated this reel 4 times now, and I'm finally happy with the result ... although having to sand the reel foot to actually be able to put the reel on a rod!!!!! I've never painted, let alone clear coated anything before so I guess I've taught myself something in the process ... Its cheaper to buy one new!!!!!!! I've loaded this one with 4lb Fluorocarbon for fishing small HB's. Surprisingly the reel still weighs the same as it did ... 185g.

Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000809.jpg (95.9 KB, 347 views)
File Type: jpg P1000811.jpg (102.8 KB, 348 views)
Old 20-10-2009, 08:26 PM
Big Bream

glad that it turned out nice. pretty surprised that i still managed to put it back together after 4months
Old 20-10-2009, 08:36 PM
Big Bream

well done mate sounds like a bit of a mission but it looks great

Proudly associated with Pimp My Lure
Old 20-10-2009, 09:05 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbutler View Post
well done mate sounds like a bit of a mission but it looks great
Worth the effort mate she is now one of a kind and you will never forget the work you put into it. The reel looks perfect you should be very happy with your work.
If they're on, I'll be late, if it's quiet, I'll be late."
Old 20-10-2009, 10:35 PM
Blue Lip

That looks tough as, nice job mate!
Old 21-10-2009, 01:23 AM
Blue Lip

looks sweet man. how would you compare the 0'8 gekka to the older non zaion model? not meaning to hijack lol im just keen on getting one
Old 21-10-2009, 02:45 AM
Big Bream

Thumbs up

Nice looking reel mate. Got me thinkin'
Old 22-10-2009, 12:53 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by __MATT__ View Post
looks sweet man. how would you compare the 0'8 gekka to the older non zaion model? not meaning to hijack lol im just keen on getting one
Was thinking of getting an older model too as I love my older 2004 Luvias, but settled for this one ... there is not really much in it .. 10g lighter and an extra bearing and uses the Real 4 which I guess helps with spares. The body wont corrode

Ta
Matt
Old 26-10-2009, 08:25 AM
Blue Lip

se e e xy !!!!!
PB - Soft Plastic
A.Butcheri: 41cm Fork - Squidgy Wriggler 65mm in bloodworm / Gamakatsu 211 1/32 jig head
A.Australis: 34cm fork - Squidgy Bug in Bloodworm / Squidgy Resin head

Old 27-10-2009, 10:32 PM
Blue Lip

Nice job Matty, the metallic grey looks sweet. Did you find you really had to be careful on the feet, as too thick with paint and clear makes reel seat fit a pain? I am going to have to get my Luvias touched up, as the VSS17 seat has pinched and chipped the paint and clear on the feet ends.
Old 27-10-2009, 11:01 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortlite View Post
Nice job Matty, the metallic grey looks sweet. Did you find you really had to be careful on the feet, as too thick with paint and clear makes reel seat fit a pain? I am going to have to get my Luvias touched up, as the VSS17 seat has pinched and chipped the paint and clear on the feet ends.
Hi mate, as I placed it onto the reel seat it was painfully clear it was just not gonna go on without the clear cracking so I hit both ends of the reel feet with some 400 grit and sanded it back ... its not going to be seen when mounted on the rod and I thought what the heck, I bought the reel to use and not to sit in a display case. I think if I do one again I'll get Certate or something with a metal body ...

Matt
Old 27-10-2009, 11:18 PM
Blue Lip

Same with mine. Chipped ends are hidden when mounted, and this reel is never gonna leave my hands, but just disappointed with that oversight. Especially as Andrew did such a good job bringing out the purple highlight to match the anodizing on the TDA 2000 spools.

Gonna take the paint back and mod the feet to round them off a bit, then get it repainted, thin layers. Once fully cured, gonna coat the ends with Permagloss. I can get Andrew to touch up a spot he missed at the same time. Black spot on the stem where it's just clear and undercoat, looks funny.