Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #16  
Old 05-07-2018, 12:09 AM
Piscateur's Avatar
Piscateur Piscateur is offline
Blue Lip
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
love throwing a suspending white Smith Jade into a black bream
That's a pretty accurate cast
__________________
May all your evenings rise
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-07-2018, 04:16 AM
yellow door 1's Avatar
yellow door 1 yellow door 1 is offline
LEGEND Unicorn
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: melbourne
Posts: 12,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr perch View Post
About half of my 70 odd surface EP lures are white, my go to Mulloway plastic is also white.
Yeah its rare to find a fish without a white belly
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-07-2018, 04:19 AM
yellow door 1's Avatar
yellow door 1 yellow door 1 is offline
LEGEND Unicorn
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: melbourne
Posts: 12,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
love throwing a suspending white Smith Jade into a black bream
I was wondering when bream were going to get a mention - I've noticed my live mullet get alot paler after getting caught - could be stress or them just adjusting to the colour of my white bucket.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 17-07-2018, 09:43 AM
dirvin21's Avatar
dirvin21 dirvin21 is offline
Mature Bream
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Nambucca Heads
Posts: 144
last week the only thing bream would hit were white grub style plastics
white is my all time favourite colour for bream lures
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 17-07-2018, 09:06 PM
yellow door 1's Avatar
yellow door 1 yellow door 1 is offline
LEGEND Unicorn
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: melbourne
Posts: 12,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirvin21 View Post
last week the only thing bream would hit were white grub style plastics
white is my all time favourite colour for bream lures
Yeah thats interesting

What sort of conditions were you fishing - I mean was it a sand bottom or mud - in the pylons, on a rock wall or sand flats -were you fishing off the bottom - was the water muddy or clear etc

And what brand and size lure were you using?

I havent tried white plastic for bream yet so I'm keen for any tips on where they work best
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 18-07-2018, 02:03 AM
warren63's Avatar
warren63 warren63 is offline
Blue Lip
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Gold Coast
Posts: 1,360
Used to have a white deep jackall chubby. Was my go to lure in dirty water. Just something about getting your chubby into dirty water the bream loved it.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 18-07-2018, 09:09 AM
dirvin21's Avatar
dirvin21 dirvin21 is offline
Mature Bream
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Nambucca Heads
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
Yeah thats interesting

What sort of conditions were you fishing - I mean was it a sand bottom or mud - in the pylons, on a rock wall or sand flats -were you fishing off the bottom - was the water muddy or clear etc

And what brand and size lure were you using?

I havent tried white plastic for bream yet so I'm keen for any tips on where they work best
fished upper and lower river, mostly casting the edges most of the fish came from sand and mud banks, working the plastics with slow twitches and pause along the bottom, we also got a few on the oyster racks again on the white grubs and they completely ignored the cranka crabs, the water was about average clarity nothing seemed different on the day except how fussy the fish were
I was running 8lb braid and fluorocarbon leader
my mate was running 4lb braid and 6lb fluorocarbon leader
plastics were zman grubz 2.5" shimmer pearl colour
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 18-07-2018, 11:09 PM
yellow door 1's Avatar
yellow door 1 yellow door 1 is offline
LEGEND Unicorn
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: melbourne
Posts: 12,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirvin21 View Post
fished upper and lower river, mostly casting the edges most of the fish came from sand and mud banks, working the plastics with slow twitches and pause along the bottom, we also got a few on the oyster racks again on the white grubs and they completely ignored the cranka crabs, the water was about average clarity nothing seemed different on the day except how fussy the fish were
I was running 8lb braid and fluorocarbon leader
my mate was running 4lb braid and 6lb fluorocarbon leader
plastics were zman grubz 2.5" shimmer pearl colour
Thanks heaps for that - the details are much appreciated. Sounds like they work any where you chuck them.

I've noticed alot of guys using the Zman grubs lately - might have to grab a pack and see if I can unleash the magic within.

Do the Zmans have a scent on them?
--------------------------------------------edit--------------------------------------------------

Just looked up a description of them - that buoyant tail sounds good - sounds like it would also aid with a slower sink rate

"ZMan brought the curly tail plastic back to life and into a new era with their 10X Tough, buoyant, super-soft and flexible ElaZtech construction. This gave new life to the curly tail, creating maximum action, even with minimal movement and at slow retrieve speeds. The built-in buoyancy also gave the ZMan GrubZ range a seductive tail-up action on the drop and a natural tail-up feeding action when at rest on the bottom, over time accounting for an incredible variety of fish species. Add to this the 10X Tough construction and you have a plastic that can be smashed and crunched time and time again, even by toothy critters and keep coming back for more.

Last edited by yellow door 1; 18-07-2018 at 11:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 19-07-2018, 09:08 AM
dirvin21's Avatar
dirvin21 dirvin21 is offline
Mature Bream
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Nambucca Heads
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
Thanks heaps for that - the details are much appreciated. Sounds like they work any where you chuck them.

I've noticed alot of guys using the Zman grubs lately - might have to grab a pack and see if I can unleash the magic within.

Do the Zmans have a scent on them?
--------------------------------------------edit--------------------------------------------------

Just looked up a description of them - that buoyant tail sounds good - sounds like it would also aid with a slower sink rate

"ZMan brought the curly tail plastic back to life and into a new era with their 10X Tough, buoyant, super-soft and flexible ElaZtech construction. This gave new life to the curly tail, creating maximum action, even with minimal movement and at slow retrieve speeds. The built-in buoyancy also gave the ZMan GrubZ range a seductive tail-up action on the drop and a natural tail-up feeding action when at rest on the bottom, over time accounting for an incredible variety of fish species. Add to this the 10X Tough construction and you have a plastic that can be smashed and crunched time and time again, even by toothy critters and keep coming back for more.
no scent on them, I put sfactor on them, they swim really well on light weights I use a 1/20th head for most of my plastics fishing
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 19-07-2018, 09:10 PM
yellow door 1's Avatar
yellow door 1 yellow door 1 is offline
LEGEND Unicorn
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: melbourne
Posts: 12,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren63 View Post
Used to have a white deep jackall chubby. Was my go to lure in dirty water. Just something about getting your chubby into dirty water the bream loved it.
Yeah I dont think I've ever thrown a white bibbed minnow - they make sense though
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 19-07-2018, 09:14 PM
yellow door 1's Avatar
yellow door 1 yellow door 1 is offline
LEGEND Unicorn
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: melbourne
Posts: 12,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirvin21 View Post
no scent on them, I put sfactor on them, they swim really well on light weights I use a 1/20th head for most of my plastics fishing
Ok cool - thanks for that - I might have to snip a bit of lead of my 1/16ths
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 30-07-2018, 07:41 PM
bargeass's Avatar
bargeass bargeass is offline
Blue Lip
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brisvegas
Posts: 1,788
Barra are quite partial to a drop bear slickrig! And various other big paddle tails in white are also very effective, more often than not white is the first colour plastic that gets tied on!
__________________
Barra, Cod and GT's are a few of my favorite things
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 30-07-2018, 11:19 PM
yellow door 1's Avatar
yellow door 1 yellow door 1 is offline
LEGEND Unicorn
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: melbourne
Posts: 12,202
Yeah I just typed "Australian Bait Fish" into google images - its very hard to find one that doesnt have white as part of its colour scheme.

Sure theres other bottom dwelling prey items that very rarely show their white bellies - but if you are imitating a schooling bait fish - white doesnt sound like too bad an option
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 693.jpg (95.2 KB, 2 views)
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 31-07-2018, 06:57 AM
DavidMc's Avatar
DavidMc DavidMc is offline
Poddy Bream
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 64
Have had really good results using white for Jewfish. I don't know why but it's out fished every other colors I've used.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 31-07-2018, 10:54 PM
yellow door 1's Avatar
yellow door 1 yellow door 1 is offline
LEGEND Unicorn
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: melbourne
Posts: 12,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMc View Post
Have had really good results using white for Jewfish. I don't know why but it's out fished every other colors I've used.
Yeah I've done a bit of experimenting with different colours for Jewies - but i always seem to go back something that looks like a mullet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 990.jpg (16.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 989.jpg (74.9 KB, 28 views)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Google