Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 4.92 average. Display Modes
Old 29-07-2016, 03:51 AM
Mature Bream

in the box of bits that come with it theres a mini cut off wheel bit, you can use this bit to make a mini disc sander cut a circle bout the size of a fifty cent out of some plastic sheet trace that onto some sandpaper and your away.
Old 29-07-2016, 04:40 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb2020 View Post
wouldnt have thought a dremel could get such a smooth finish on cork - nice work
Nah I cant get it that smooth with a dremel..........yet

I'm still learning how to use the thing - It likes to buck and dig if you're not paying attention.

I just use it to remove the bulk of the cork - then finish the job with 2cm wide x 10cm long strips of sand paper.

If I cared about my gear, I wouldnt have dived straight in and started carving cork off with a rotary tool. You get a much neater job with strips of sand paper. But I'm impatient and just looking for excuses to use the tool. (if I stuffed it up, I was mentally prepared to sand all the cork off and start again with new cork)

I was also just using the cylindrical drum sander attachment - I have since discovered it came with other more delicate sanding attachments that may have been better suited to the task.

I should also add that this "rod mod" is entirely unnecessary and fixes a problem that doesnt exist. But it feels so sweet while double handed casting that I'm quickly converting all my rods.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2221.jpg (74.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 2223.jpg (54.9 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 29-07-2016 at 05:03 AM.
Old 29-07-2016, 04:59 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
Nah I cant get it that smooth with a dremel..........yet

I'm still learning how to use the thing - It likes to buck and dig if you're not paying attention.

I just use it to remove the bulk of the cork - then finish the job with 2cm wide x 10cm long strips of sand paper.

If I cared about my gear, I wouldnt have dived straight in and started carving cork off with a rotary tool. You get a much neater job with strips of sand paper. But I'm impatient and just looking for excuses to use the tool. (if I stuffed it up, I was mentally prepared to sand all the cork off and start again with new cork)

I was also just using the cylindrical drum sander attachment - I have since discovered it came with other more delicate sanding attachments that may have been better suited to the task.

I should also add that this "rod mod" is entirely unnecessary and fixes a problem that doesnt exist. But it feels so sweet while double handed casting that I'm quickly converting all my rods.
I'm carving each one slightly different so I can get "in the field" experience with each grip. It turns out I cast my rod in about 7 different ways, depending on whats behind me and where the wind is coming from. A grip that feels sweet in the drive way at work, can feel sh1t out in the field.

One thing I noticed was, my other hand engages with the rod at different times depending on the cast. Sometimes it starts on the rod and on others, it engages half way through.

Its a sweet science and one that should not be entered into lightly

But the best grip I've come up with so far is the "accidental original"

Getting everything millimeter perfect was a fluke and will only feel good in the hands of the "chosen one".

But here it is anyway - "The Accidental Original"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2243.jpg (75.9 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 29-07-2016 at 09:54 AM.
Old 29-07-2016, 05:29 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sucker View Post
in the box of bits that come with it theres a mini cut off wheel bit, you can use this bit to make a mini disc sander cut a circle bout the size of a fifty cent out of some plastic sheet trace that onto some sandpaper and your away.
This is the accessory kit that came with the $50 bunnings version of a dremel I bought.

One thing I should clearly state from the out-set - If you plan on using one of these little buggers - never ever - I'm not even mucking around here - Just dont ever use one of these with out eye protection

I was mucking around with it this arvo and a bit exploded at 7 billion revs per minute. I was bracing a bit of wood against my chest so I could get a closer look - and the cutting wheel blew apart into a million pieces.

The accessory kits that come with these tools are flimsy as - if you hit something on the wrong angle, its going to explode in your face and puncture your eyelids.

I've watched "Myth-Busters" and I know how fast the average brain can react to something flying at it - even if you have titanium eyelids - you dont have a chance

I'm currently running these ones that look like ski googles - but if you have a pretty face and dont wont shrapnel in it - you might want to go for full face protection
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2220.jpg (73.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 2241.jpg (131.6 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 29-07-2016 at 05:40 AM.
Old 30-07-2016, 12:19 AM
Mature Bream

you'll love the dremel on your pvc innovations....like a hot knife through butter. these sort of bits are great on plastic:

16.jpg
Old 30-07-2016, 05:59 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb2020 View Post
you'll love the dremel on your pvc innovations....like a hot knife through butter. these sort of bits are great on plastic:

Attachment 109772
Yeah they look interesting - I havent seen them being used before but I'll grab a set
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2218.JPG (137.8 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 30-07-2016 at 06:02 AM.
Old 30-07-2016, 01:59 PM
Mature Bream

another thing to watch is unplug the thing from the wall, might just be me but ive come home and its on.
Old 30-07-2016, 07:53 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sucker View Post
another thing to watch is unplug the thing from the wall, might just be me but ive come home and its on.
Will do - thanks for the tip
Old 02-08-2016, 06:50 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

I recently put the feelers out at work for a supply of champagne corks and was rewarded the next day. But they were too small for my purposes.

I figured they werent that small before they went into the bottle, so there might be a way to fatten them up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2225.jpg (104.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 2228.jpg (71.7 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 02-08-2016 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:53 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

I found an old vinegar bottle outside Etihad stadium the other night and grabbed it without really knowing why - turns out its the perfect size for steaming corks - job done
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2229.jpg (59.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 2227.jpg (90.8 KB, 1 views)
Old 02-08-2016, 08:56 PM
Blue Lip

As a keen blackfish chaser who has a stack of those corks laying about to make floats from, I'm keen to know exactly what you mean by steaming.
Do you just soak them in hot water, or do you keep the heat up to them somehow?
Old 02-08-2016, 09:19 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Hornet View Post
As a keen blackfish chaser who has a stack of those corks laying about to make floats from, I'm keen to know exactly what you mean by steaming.
Do you just soak them in hot water, or do you keep the heat up to them somehow?
There isnt much info on the net but I did find this

http://www.ehow.com/how_10058275_make-cork-expand.html

The article said to use a steamer but I didnt want put dirty corks in my steamer. (they discoloured the boiled water like a very weak tea-bag)

So I just filled the bottle with boiling hot water - then I taped the lid shut so the corks would float around in a steamy environment. I left them for about 15 mins.

So according to the article, a steamer with a constant source of heat would get faster results.

There every chance I've water logged the cork so I'll either let them air for a week - shove them down a heating vent over night - or chuck them in the oven before using them
Old 02-08-2016, 09:45 PM
Blue Lip

Sounds good.
Thanks for the tip.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:47 PM
Big Bream

How would taping them to the inside of the lid go, should keep them dry while still steaming them
Old 02-08-2016, 11:49 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Hornet View Post
Sounds good.
Thanks for the tip.
No worries

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: