Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Reels

Reels Who’s using what, find out in here.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:11 AM
Big Bream

Daiwa Steez Original Saltwater?

Hi All

So I recently got myself an original model Daiwa Steez 2004. Love it so far. Just wondering about the build of the reel and if it can be used it saltwater. I know the Steez Exist Custom is freshwater only, but I've heard conflicting reports about whether the steez can be used in saltwater or not. Even if it can't it still makes an awesome freshwater reel. Thanks for the help in advance guys!

Tim
Old 05-02-2018, 07:26 AM
Blue Lip

I own this reel, and have owned the reel in other sizes.

Fished the 2004 exclusively in the salt and still do today

No issues with corrosion etc at all

Just look after it and you’ll be fine
Old 05-02-2018, 07:43 AM
Blue Lip

Ive seen plenty of Steez's / Exists (whatever the pluralism for many of them is) and other's like Stella's and baitcasters made of Mg that have corrosion - one was a corker naturally second hand and sold as excellent condition ��

Having said that they're marketed by Daiwa as "salt water safe" - so are many things denoted as "safe" for example walking down the road, eating sugar and argueing on the internet. Mg is going to naturally act like an aspro near saltwater (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1thsAwgSd5U) especially if the surface treatment has been breached - then you'll get these weird paint subterranean creeping lines from that point and then the Mg going like Aluminium affected by Gallium.

Best course of action is care - wash and oil it with a good lanolin based oil and dont be shy with it. Paint under the cowels with a marine grease and or lanolin grease so that water sheds off the body under these areas that see little air movement and overall care.

While a great reel to own and use - its just a worry that you will eventually get Mg cancer / corrosion if your not careful. I own a couple of Mg reels myself - yeh their days of saltwater use are over / never occured a long long long time ago.

Thats my honest opinion.

Last edited by Slazmo; 05-02-2018 at 07:48 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:41 PM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slazmo View Post
Ive seen plenty of Steez's / Exists (whatever the pluralism for many of them is) and other's like Stella's and baitcasters made of Mg that have corrosion - one was a corker naturally second hand and sold as excellent condition ��

Having said that they're marketed by Daiwa as "salt water safe" - so are many things denoted as "safe" for example walking down the road, eating sugar and argueing on the internet. Mg is going to naturally act like an aspro near saltwater (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1thsAwgSd5U) especially if the surface treatment has been breached - then you'll get these weird paint subterranean creeping lines from that point and then the Mg going like Aluminium affected by Gallium.

Best course of action is care - wash and oil it with a good lanolin based oil and dont be shy with it. Paint under the cowels with a marine grease and or lanolin grease so that water sheds off the body under these areas that see little air movement and overall care.

While a great reel to own and use - its just a worry that you will eventually get Mg cancer / corrosion if your not careful. I own a couple of Mg reels myself - yeh their days of saltwater use are over / never occured a long long long time ago.

Thats my honest opinion.
Agree,
Everything I have seen/ heard screams NO SALT WATER ........so much so that they released a salt water "safe" version last year so I believe.

Anyway my copy is fresh only.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: