Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Rods

Rods Get the goss on what’s hot, and what’s not...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-06-2016, 06:52 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seal1 View Post
Having built quite a few rods and fiddled around with balance on numerous occasions, that's exactly what I've found. Short butts mean short leverage against a relatively long blank and impractical levels of weight are required to achieve an ideal balance point. That's not to say some weight won't be helpful; just don't expect to achieve perfect balance.
Yeah if I'd watched this vid before taping the sinkers on - I wouldnt have had to make 3 trips to my tackle box to get sinkers

Old 04-06-2016, 08:29 PM
Blue Lip

The weight/length of the butt thats to be cut off the Edge would weigh very little I'm sure you could compensate for it if you wanted, without using as much lead as yd needed. YD, do you know if that rod of yours even balanced at that point before you chopped it, could have been tip heavy off the shelf?

You could use a tungsten weight to reduce the volume of weight needed.

Anyway, I still say chop and enjoy!
Old 05-06-2016, 03:57 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by manno View Post
The weight/length of the butt thats to be cut off the Edge would weigh very little I'm sure you could compensate for it if you wanted, without using as much lead as yd needed. YD, do you know if that rod of yours even balanced at that point before you chopped it, could have been tip heavy off the shelf?

It was a Steve Starling Squidgey Barra Spin - 6 foot 6inch - line weight 4-8kg - Lure weight 7-25g.

I cant remember how it balanced in its original state - but the balance still isnt an issue for me in its current state -

I only mentioned it because some blokes are very particular about the balance of their out fits - there are certain specific scenarios where I care aswell. But this rod doesnt get used for those purposes
Old 05-06-2016, 04:07 AM
Blue Lip

Yeah I guess your not needing to make dinky little one handed casts with that stick.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:14 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Yeah I guess your not needing to make dinky little one handed casts with that stick.
Yeah theres nothing Finesse about it - especially since it lost a few inches from the tip aswell as having its butt chopped off - now its like a broom stick with eyelets
Old 05-06-2016, 04:24 AM
Poddy Bream

Quote:

Yeah I think you're right the 50mm of graphite should not weigh much more than a few grams.
I'll be sure to post some photos of how it balances compared to the bsr once I get round to cutting it down.
My bsr is ever so slightly weight forward with the reels I run. I'm expecting the isr to be basically the same without the extended butt.
I'm still hoping for someone to explain to me why the handle length is so different from the bsr models.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:29 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
........broom stick with eyelets
That just reminded me of my days trying to be an innovative kid, before i was old enough to have my own gear id take a length of dowl and pinch screw in eyelets from the shed and make fishing rods. Id thread em with wool and practise fly casting down the hallway. Luckily though the old man beat any early signs of a developing fly fisherman out of me.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:35 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
That just reminded me of my days trying to be an innovative kid, before i was old enough to have my own gear id take a length of dowl and pinch screw in eyelets from the shed and make fishing rods. Id thread em with wool and practise fly casting down the hallway. Luckily though the old man beat any early signs of a developing fly fisherman out of me.
Parenting done right
Old 18-11-2016, 04:31 AM
Big Bream

Just wondering if any of these rod's spin or casting come without recoils?

Thanks in advanced...
Old 13-06-2017, 03:27 AM
Big Bream

Just picked up a 6'6 black widow baitcast rod today after checking out a few rods in a store. Looks different with the spiral guide setup but I'm sure it will work fine. Going to put an Alderbaran on it after I get my tax cheque.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: