Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Boats > Hulls

Hulls Come in here to find info on that next boat you buy…

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 26-03-2013, 05:22 PM
Mature Bream

Cross x country boats

Has anyone had any experience with these boats went and tested one recently was very impressed wondering about other peoples thoughts.
Old 26-03-2013, 05:50 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loomis23 View Post
Has anyone had any experience with these boats went and tested one recently was very impressed wondering about other peoples thoughts.
Great little boats mate. I fish out of my mates in the VicBream Classic bream tournaments. Very light and moves along nicely,

We have experienced a few issues with the boat. Being light has both positive and negatives. It is very easy to tow behind a four cyclinder car, only requires a relatively small motor (40hp) which pushes it along nicely. We have found that the wind moves the boat around on the water very easily, for example when trying to fish snags on windy days it is hard to stay close. The higher sides of the boat catch the wind and due to its light weight it gets moved off the snag.

It is also rather cramped inside the boat, my team mates boat is running a side console and with the large rod locker running down the side of the boat it makes for a rather small cotpit area. The fishing areas however are great, large front and rear platforms are great to fish off.

To be honest I would probably look at a second hand bass boat before going with a crossxcountry. All depends on what you plan on using the boat for.

Cheers
Gagga
Old 26-03-2013, 10:11 PM
Mature Bream

I looked at them due to the fact they are nice and light don't require a big engine but are still capable of fishing the bays and close reefs, main reason I stopped looking at bass boats not being able to so the close off shore work
Old 26-03-2013, 10:44 PM
Mature Bream

We use the boat to chase snapper in the bays as well and for that it is magnificent. Very stable ride and handles the chop reasonably well.
Old 26-03-2013, 10:46 PM
Blue Lip

Makocraft Frenzy a great multipurpose boat.

http://www.breammaster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27156
Old 27-03-2013, 12:49 AM
Mature Bream

I have done quite a lot of research on these and know a bit of history about them.
I am 93.4% certain I will purchase one when I get around to it.

It would help to know more about what you hope to use a hull for and what size? You can then apply those criteria to a range of hulls and identify the pro's and con's for each.

As you asked a very general question, my general answer is that the pro's outweigh the con's.
I'm looking at the 4.75 if budget will allow and the 4.3 if it won't stretch. My primary use is impoundments, estuary and open water (Moreton Bay etc) and close inshore when conditions allow.
They also have a 5m in development which would be interesting to look at seeing that weight with these is not a problem.

I have wet test both the 4.3, 4.75 and their 4.5 car topper. I was suitably impressed with the 4.3 and 4.75.

As you mentioned they are light, economical to run, robust and customisable. The company has excellent customer and after sales service.

In my opinion, the only down side to them is that like any boat with flow/gel coat finish they are susceptible to chips. Depending on the types of ramps and/or roads that they will be dragged over.....they will require a bit more care than a similar hull of aluminum construction.

If you want to know anything more specific, just ask.
Old 27-03-2013, 02:44 AM
Poddy Bream

I own the 4.1m and for what I do, which is fishing the Brissie River and close parts of the bay, it is great. It is stable to fish from and goes pretty quick with the 40Hp Tohatsu 2 stroke I have on it (although not as fast as I thought it would be). I have to agree on the issue of chipping etc of the gel coat. It appears to be very simple to chip/break. It is plenty strong when the load is spread over a large area, but any type of point load fractures the gel coat very easily. The foam below it offers no real support for this type of load unfortunately, so you have to be very careful getting the boat onto the trailer if my experience to date is anything to go by.

Cheers,Simon
Old 27-03-2013, 02:44 AM
Big Bream

What would be the main advantage that the CC has over Alloy??

They obviously look a bit better but the the Alloy would win out in the robustness stakes I assume??
Old 27-03-2013, 02:48 AM
Mature Bream

Went to look at one in Brisbane today, after looking in the factory something luckily stuck in my mind that John had said to me if you buy a 2nd hand one check the hull if a trailer isn't set up right the hulls can crack easily this one did. It was on consignment and when the yard owner saw it he was as shocked as i was. Going to get some prices on repairs the centre roller on the hull had actually been set to high and was holding more weight than the outter rollers, over time must have slowly worked its way from a bump in the hull to more or less a hole threw the gel coat and into the fibreglass not even sure if its worth while. Not sure what that sort of repair would be worth ???

As for what im looking at i am thinking either a 4.1 or 4.3 just for estury impoundment and close reefs and bay work for tuna
Old 27-03-2013, 03:18 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrocket View Post
What would be the main advantage that the CC has over Alloy??

They obviously look a bit better but the the Alloy would win out in the robustness stakes I assume??
Main advantage is weight and quality of ride. Not as slapping/jarring as an alloy of the same size and weight might be as much as half that of comparable plate construction.

Certainly an alloy build, particularly plate, will be much more robust from a knicks and scratches point of view, but this method of composite construction (infusion) is very solid and strong. The resin is measured to the amount/weight of dry cloth creating the ultimate design ratio for resin to cloth. This is in comparison to the principal of old school chopper gun technology (where the more you spray the more weight you add without actually adding strength) to be incorporated to reach maximum design strength without the added weight.

I think the trailer issue is true with any boat. Don't set it up right and you'll create stress points at those places that are bearing more weight.
With an alloy boat because its softer it can take the extra pressure and "mould" to it, composite not so much as it is stiffer/stronger. Same kind of theory with regards to Simon's comment about chips....when the pressure is over a larger area it can soften the pressure, a sharp point where the contact area is reduced.....not so soft and creates a stress point and usually gives way in the form of the gel coat cracking/chipping.
Old 27-03-2013, 05:10 AM
Mature Bream

Also should mention if anyone is having trouble contacting C x C they are currently changing locations and are having issues with their phone networks but will respond to emails quiet quickly and if you call the 07 5429 2015 number on the website and leave a message they will get back to you asap

Under new management and as i said above are having a few issues
Old 27-03-2013, 06:44 PM
Mature Bream

Video of our test in the 4.1 sport fishing series

http://youtu.be/lRuaRZ2cIPA

Last edited by Loomis23; 27-03-2013 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:01 AM
Poddy Bream

CrossXcountry and EzyTopper are combined to form Enlightened Boating

Just letting everyone know that the CXC guys and the EzyTopper guys are now one big Family under the name Enlightened Boating https://www.facebook.com/EnlightenedBoating
It's being updated every day and the pictures are really cool! Check it out!
Old 09-04-2013, 08:24 PM
Big Bream

They are great boats and the biggest plus and stand out is how soft and dry the ride is compared to alloy equivalents and the floatation factor is out of this world.
John has also been a pleasure to deal with and has provided excellent after sale service.

Here is my 4.3

http://waves-anglers.com/

Last edited by funfisher; 09-04-2013 at 08:38 PM.