Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Old 27-03-2019, 03:59 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

How to hold a trout

http://www.bishfish.co.nz/articles/f...tD4g1CvzAZVDrg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 483.jpg (167.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 484.jpg (139.4 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 27-03-2019 at 04:01 AM.
Old 27-03-2019, 06:53 AM
Poddy Bream

https://news.orvis.com/fly-fishing/t...nd-grin-photos

"There’s no doubt that Bishop’s article is full of great advice for the best way to handle fish, but many casual readers focused on the “kill” part. Soon thereafter, the number of comments arguing that a person in a photo was killing the fish seemed to skyrocket. Since I am skeptical of almost anything I see on the Internet, I emailed a fisheries biologist friend (who asked to remain anonymous), included a link to Bish’s article, and just asked, “What do you think?” Here was his reply:
There is a bit of hyperbole and of course no data offered to support his assertions. On the other hand, I do think that some fish die from grip and grins, but mainly because they usually require multiple “takes,” and the fish is often dropped on rocks a time or two. If you hold the fish too lightly, you are more likely to drop it. Putting a bit of pressure on a trout’s heart for a few seconds shouldn’t hurt it. The best thing to do, of course, is not take the fish out of the water, i.e., a net shot."
Old 28-03-2019, 07:06 AM
Big Bream

One hand on tail, one hand just behind head (supporting with light grip) lift fish out of water, hold it low to the water. Grab a shot or two, place fish back in water and either check pics or release on the spot. Would be the best practice if you want a photo of ypu holding the fish imo.
Old 29-03-2019, 02:06 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

yeah I dont chase trout much. But they are amoungst the fish that need to be treated with kid gloves when releasing, in my experience.

I cant work out whether those guys in the photos are deliberately squeezing the trout like a pressure point. The same way people squeeze the arse of a flatty or the gills of a shark, to calm it down - or whether those trout just have flabby guts and their fingers are pressing into the flab.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: